Demographics?

Born in the middle of the 20th-century. White middle class North American guy, so one of the luckiest folks to ever live on this little planet. Serial monogamist w/two daughters that I know of. Combat Accountant. Interested in ebikes to speed up my urban commutes w/out fear of crushing my fellow citizens. Plus concerned about water quality so runoff from hydro-carbons based land transport. In between dogs/cats at the moment. `Been enjoying the steampunk scene of late and stick play a la Barton-Wright/Bartitsu...

41 yrs old going on 12. Married 6 years and blessed with a little daughter. Design Exhibits and retail displays during the day and tinker with ebike any other time. Other interests include custom knives, rc cars, archery, airguns, and making custom leather watch straps ( yes, there is such a market!)

Built my first e-bike last year after my 94 Chevy Cavalier died and wife wouldn't let me get a motorcycle. :twisted: Just as well...

Current ride is a DownTube folder with a 1200 watt Cyclone Kit. Ride daily to work and back instead of paying $3 CDN each way for bus fare. I charge my Ping battery once a week (whether it needs to or not) for just a few cents.

Building second E-Bike with a full suspension FreeRide frame. Schedule to roll next spring.

Cheers!!

Norman

83 , widower...5 boys... retired. .. reasonable health...can run almost right across the street.. spent most of my working life in various forms of marketing.... been cycling 4 years...did 1400 miles last year... aiming for 2000 this year... was more interested in boats when i was younger... built mt first raft when i was eleven.... was'"don river red.".. the meanest ,bloodthirstiest pirate on the river :twisted: ... my main hobby is woodcraft :mrgreen:

Lock said:
Combat Accountant
Touche! I'm a 36yo Combat Auditor who makes the life of every Local Government Employee I work with a living hell. And I love it! They run when they see me coming... :lol:

Married 10 years, 1 son, 1 cat and a huge yard I hate to mow. I'd much rather be on the ebike. I've lived in the same area my whole life. My wife has actually lived in the same Zip her whole life.

I like Philf ran a couple BBSs(direct dial) in the late 80's while in High School. I love computers. The reason I bring this up is that I've been around A LOT of sites. This one is the cream of the crop. No other has what we have here. May it always be so!

Peace to all!

49, m, married - 2nd time, Kids - all gone diferent ways. 4 vocational degrees, including machine trades technology and industrial maintenance technician. Been into Radio control especially electrics all my life. R/C Heli enthusiast. Inventor. Tattoo artist. Bicycle enthusiast all life! Mountain, road, and beach babies! I love bikes! Harley rider all life too. Gear head, hot rodding since I was old eneough to steal moms car! Thats about it.

18, m, not married, no kids. I am a senior and will attend MSOE next year to pursue bachelors degrees in mechanical and electrical engineering.

Hey, I'm a shop teacher for 12 and 13 year olds, I'm 36 or 35, I forget. I teach myself most things, mostly because I find the experts I need hard to find, and truthfully, I'm a horrible student.

So, I make a lot of mistakes. My ADD is very mild, but it drives me to take on projects that are very far outside my comfort zone (that's the only way they're exciting). My rule is, if there isn't a major chance I could screw it up completely, I'm not interested. Failure is nearly guaranteed? Now there's my kind of project.

My lifelong goal is to learn how to make everything. You see? How likely is it that I will attain that? Nearly impossible. Which is why it is of interest. Messed up, yes.

I meditate, but not as much as I need to, I swim, also not as much as I need to, I have a dog named Bodhisattva, and I have a new little girl, 16 months, who is teaching me how to love.

Mmmm, warm and fuzzy. LOLZ

Katou

Hi, This seems to be a good place to introduce myself to the forum. I'm 47, married, father of 2 and spent most of my career working as an electrical engineer in industrial automation. I've been playing with ebikes for a couple of years now so I look forward to interacting with the members of this forum.

Rayy

I'm a 48yrs young newbee to this forum. I've been a Bio-Medical Equipment Technician since I was 19yrs old. I've lived in 17 states, 5 countries and been in 2 wars (well only 1 was technically a war). I've finally decided to settle down in St. Louis Mo.
I was planning on building a reverse trike that was electric powered and I decided that the price tag was just to high (23K with Lithium batteries) so I decided to build an e-bike instead. Specs, Giant Option frame, 24cell 20ah Thundersky battery, Lyen 72v 65a controller, 5305 rear drive hub laced to a 700c rim

I was planning on building a reverse trike that was electric powered and I decided that the price tag was just to high (23K with Lithium batteries)

How did you come up with that cost estimate and what kind of trike were you designing? Weight, shape and size?

swbluto said:
I was planning on building a reverse trike that was electric powered and I decided that the price tag was just to high (23K with Lithium batteries)

How did you come up with that cost estimate and what kind of trike were you designing? Weight, shape and size?

It was an XR3 (http://www.rqriley.com/xr3.htm ). It was going to cost about 10K for the car itself and about 13K for the electric motor, controller, and batteries (144v 180ah)

30yrs old yesterday. Single white guy with a 10yr old son. Live w/ parents on the farm. Jack of all trades.

Handy since 5yrs old when I fixed my first bike enough that I could teach myself to ride it...I didn't have a chain so I learned by scooting. When I was about 8 I transferred to a school 1mi out so I had to start commuting by bike. At some point I took my coaster brake hub apart and "fixed" it so I could pedal and ride backwards...around this time I learned I could sit on the bars, facing backwards, and ride as well...either way.

In Jr. High I started riding 15+ miles on a whim..I'd just decide to go one morning. Between 7th and 8th grade I rode 80 miles in a day..again, on a whim. This was a single speed bmx w/ knobby tires so it took some real endurance, especially coming back through the gorge.

In HS I was the guy that would have a passenger on front and on back..again, bmx. I probably looked really fit since my friends were all a bit bigger..heh. I didn't do any more really long runs in HS but we rode around town all day and we took a few 40mi trips one summer to see some girls.

I helped construct dirt jumps (illegally) at a local park, also in HS. They're still there 15yrs later. Kids used to get harassed and kicked out of the park for riding there and now there's even more jumps, garbage cans handy, and they've added a nice path through a wooded area along the river...they took down our rope swing in the process of blazing the trail but it was worth it. I think this helped spark interest in (and donations for) the skatepark that was eventually built across town...once there was a good example, everyone could get behind it.

For some reason I usually end up doing things the hard way. I love problems since they require solutions..I like being overly crafty yet simplistic and logical. When making/fixing something my goal is to remove all the unnecessary parts...there should be at least 1 screw left over, or it's not fixed "right". A self learner that likes to blaze trails..

Oh, and I have a thing for spelling mistakes/carelessness...just remember that "REdiculous" is wrong, it's spelled "ridiculous". :lol:

Hi,
I'm 48, divorced, two grown sons, girlfriend. Pisces/Aquarius, born on the cusp, in Phoenix where there is little water. My father who had only a 5th grade education, was my age when I was born. We were very poor. I was the runner-up in my 5th grade spelling bee at a large school, choked on an easy word. My I.Q. is supposed to be off the charts in certain areas, (but which direction?) math is not my strongest subject. I am currently teaching myself about electronics. I seem to have a particular attraction (no pun intended) to Particle and Quantum Physics. I have the ability to visualize very well. I believe there is a way to get copper to behave as a superconductor by causing positive ions to attach to the interstices of the molecular structure and thereby creating a tunnel of acceleration for the flow of electrons. Micro-Wormhole. Greasing the rails so to speak. I have taught myself to perform psychokinesis. Here's a video of one aspect.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wvx67IV1nxs The levitation thing is going to be a bit more challenging. I have also learned to take control of my subconscious and have lucid dreams where I can work on complex problems....in my sleep. I dropped out of high school at age 16. I went back to school in my late thirties and I now hold a B.S. in Technology. I make my living working part-time, repairing fiberglass boats. I dislike my job, but at least I don't have far to commute and my boss is pretty cool. I hate wearing ties, they are so confining. I spend waaaay too much time Googling, I love to learn. I've been riding motorcycles since I was 12 and bicycles since I was 5. I hate being a slave to the system. Electric bikes are a small step in the right direction. Tesla is one of my heroes. Boycott BP!!

24 male, 8 years with my girlfriend....still not engaged yet :mrgreen:, in grad school part time, full time EE

Malcom, teleportation is cool. I was wondering if you could post a picture of a beautiful location in Barcelona (you did take pictures I hope) along with the corresponding GPS coordinates? Another cool thing is manifestation. I wanted an electric bike, so one came up for sale near me on Craigslist.......for $30. A Crystalyte 5304 frontie, in good condition!!! In the middle of nowhere Arkansas. What are the odds? The people were missionaries or something and had to move to Texas, they just wanted to get rid of it immediately. I happily helped them out.

Most of the customers who come in our shop are over 40 and just want to enjoy bike rides without the pain.

I have had sales from suburban women in their 50s. We also get urban professionals that live in the city who are tired of waiting for a bus buy the folders.

The demographics for ebikes is very large, but the biggest problem is most people dont know they exist, or how they can help them.

58 yo male DINK. RN by trade, upright bassist for fun who loves to play French Canadian and Celtic tunes with a good fiddler, accordionist, mando player. Except for a couple of barely tolerable years in Florida, lifelong resident of hilly rural Massachusetts (eastern USA), with an assortment of equines, chix (the feathered kind), dogs, cats, etc. We live uphill from nearly everything around here, so I fell hard for the lure of the ebike, especially the possibility designing and building my own. I’ve almost finished tweaking #2, an 8 speed shift kit model that has separate freewheels on the BB spindle to allow unlimited separation/blending of pedal and motor power. The early testing is here http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=15529 but it needs updating.

So now on to the next design. I’m thinking a LH motor drive with 3-4 speeds (reverse derailleur/cassette attached to an ACS Southpaw?) and a standard RH derailleur for pedaling. Much as I love the shift kit, the motor and I don’t have the same torque curve. Just don’t tell my wife I’m considering another build! jd

Huh, never noticed this thread.

27, married, flunked college twice because I didn't know what I wanted to do with my life (still don't), work as a web developer, I am highly skilled at CSS and JS, and I really dislike the intangible nature of the work produced -- I'm very jealous of some of the users in this forum, you guys make things and I think that's awesome.

I'm 28, married, one 3 mo daughter and two crazy dogs.

Graduated with my BSEE in 2005. Spent 4 years in the Boston area working on satcom systems for the military. Now I'm in grad school and live near Clemson in upstate South Carolina. My specialty is electromagnetics, with a sub-specialty in EMI/EMC. I'm also a ham, but haven't been very active the last few years. Grad school and a baby make sure that I have more ideas than time and money these days, but I still try to fit in a project here or there. I get itchy if I go too long without getting my hands dirty, drove some of the electronics techs crazy at my last job. Some of them don't appreciate it too much when the engineers grab a screwdriver and dive in!

Back