Designing an axial flux motor

panandtilts

1 µW
So to start off, I'm a mechanical engineer and anything electrical is not my forte. I've been researching through this forum and rcgroups in the motor subforum there the past few weeks trying to soak up as much knowledge as possible, but a lot of it is still very fuzzy.

I'll try to keep this short.

What I'm trying to do: Design a BLDC motor for a ceiling fan I'm designing. Doesn't seem very exciting, but I believe it's a great stepping stone in designing motors, controllers, and rotor blades. I'll be designing everything from the ground up, this includes the rotor geometry (a bunch of excel and some CFD) to optimize the geometry, then designing a motor to run this said fan.

Current State: Almost done designing the rotor, but have not finalized anything, therefore do not have any torque requirements yet (kind of important for designing a motor huh?)

Past experience: The most relevant experience would be designing the motor housing/rim for the CSIRO (now Marund) motor for a solar car.

Motor specifications: As stated before, the torque requirements have not been settled yet so it's hard to say, but it will only be spinning at 30-150rpm. So basically a very low Kv + high torque motor. Would also like to design it as efficient as possible

Moving to the questions. So I haven't fully decided between a radial flux or axial flux design, but am leaning more towards a coreless axial flux design due to the fact I don't want to cut custom laminations for the stator.

Copper fill: higher the better as it'll be a stronger electromagnet and will be more efficient
Winds: Using the BLDC equation, more winds obviously equals higher torque but with the trade off of higher resistance

1) Litz wire: Would litz wire be needed due to the fact it will be used at such a low rpm? I understand it's usually necessary especially for coreless stators due to the reduction of eddy currents, however I understand it's more beneficial for higher frequency motors.

2) Poles: More poles the higher the torque, what do you recommend as a starting point?

3)Should I be trying to maximize my voltage and minimizing current for more torque and less current losses?

4) For a coreless dual rotor, single stator design, the stator width is important due to the fact it counts in the air gap, so I should try to minimize this as much as possible while making sure I have enough space for the number of windings I need correct?

5) If I want to use round magnets, the higher the pole count, the smaller the magnets I can use for a given diameter, is there any major disadvantages of this I should know?

6) In this thread: http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=14339&start=75 , It talks about different winding styles and it mentions staggered and overlapping windings, however I haven't seen any of this in any of the builds here, is there a reason? What looks promising is the staggered winding with two layers of coils, overlapping by 50%. This will however allow me to get a lot more coils relative to magnets, is there a downside to this? I understand you want a close to 1:1 ratio of poles to minimize cogging which should be important with a low rpm motor.

7) In the same thread as #6, they state that you want the ID of the coils to be the OD of the magnets, so that the coil can capture the flux of the magnets through it's full number of turns. I don't understand what this means, could someone explain? Also if say I make the coil a trapezoid or ellipse, does this still apply? (as in I should be able to fit the magnet inside of the trapezoid or ellipse)

8 ) Since the round magnets will basically form a ring, I would only need backing plate in the shape of a ring as well correct? How much bigger should the backing plate be relative to the magnets then? As in how much more should I extend radially (radius).

This is what I have right now but I'm sure I'll have much more to come, sorry if it's very scattered as I think maybe I'll looking too much into everything and my thoughts are just jumbled. Thanks!

panandtilts said:
Winds: Using the BLDC equation, more winds obviously equals higher torque but with the trade off of higher resistance.........................................
3)Should I be trying to maximize my voltage and minimizing current for more torque and less current losses?
Welcome panandtilts,

More turns equals higher volts and lower amps. Efficiency and available torque remain the same.

Curious: why do you need a high torque motor? Does this fan have to reach it's final RPM very very quickly for some reason?

Additional: With a high torque cieling fan, it could be possible for it to do more damage to someone/something intersecting it's blades, as in addition to the rotating mass's inertia, there is also the energy the motor will attempt to put into keeping it moving instead of stopping once it impacts something. (unless you have some sort of sensor system to detect when impacts occur and use the motor's torque in reverse to help it stop faster).

amberwolf said:
Curious: why do you need a high torque motor? Does this fan have to reach it's final RPM very very quickly for some reason?

Additional: With a high torque cieling fan, it could be possible for it to do more damage to someone/something intersecting it's blades, as in addition to the rotating mass's inertia, there is also the energy the motor will attempt to put into keeping it moving instead of stopping once it impacts something. (unless you have some sort of sensor system to detect when impacts occur and use the motor's torque in reverse to help it stop faster).
That's a good point, I was thinking more in terms of the torque needed to drive the fan. The fan will be roughly 60" diameter so it's more torque than your typical ceiling fan.

The safety portion is still a concern, ideally, the fan shall be placed high enough to prevent any human contact.

I should really start calculating how much torque will be required, at least a rough estimation to just see what torque range I'm trying to reach.

I was looking at diy axial flux motors for generators on wind turbines and it seems most of them use rectangular magnets with coils matching it's shape. This looks more ideal for giving you more area for magnets for a given diameter vs round magnets. Is there a reason most of the builds here have been for round magnets?

panandtilts said:
That's a good point, I was thinking more in terms of the torque needed to drive the fan. The fan will be roughly 60" diameter so it's more torque than your typical ceiling fan.

The safety portion is still a concern, ideally, the fan shall be placed high enough to prevent any human contact.
That'd be nice, but you'd be surprised at how easy it is for people to "forget" the thing is there and spinning, and impact it anyway.

Some time ago, I was at a friend's place, and he was doing the usual oopsy-daisy bouncing his little boy up in the air, and managed to toss him right into the fan. Thankfully it was a small-diameter unit, and the motor had no torque to keep spinning, so although it left a surface bruise, the ER found no skull or brain damage (the boy did cry a fair bit, cuz I'm sure it hurt!).

I've also seen someone at an apartment complex "clubhouse" with vaulted cielings and very-high-up fans, well out of any normal reach, who was changing lightbulbs with an a-frame ladder. At some point he was leaning out rather than climb donw and move the ladder, and he (probably unconciously) lifted one foot/leg outward the other direction, and stuck his foot into the very large diameter cieling fan, which was a slow-spinning type. Even that knocked him off hte ladder, and though his foot was uninjured beyond a bad bruise, he broke his arm in the landing. :( If the fan had been very fast or high-torque, it's possible it could've done a lot more damage depending on the rest of the circumstances.

Myself, I've managed to simply stretch and hit the blades of teh fans in various rooms of my house (standard 7'-ish cielings, I think, so the fans are no higher than around 6.5' for blade height, AFAICR) with my fingertips, and though each time I stopped myself before reaching further into the blades, it still hurts...and I have still repeated the mistake multiple times over the years, getting out of bed and being still sleepy (or exhausted)...

Sometimes it seems silly to have to worry about what stupid things poeple will do with things we design and make, but unfortunately even smart people do really stupid things sometimes, even though normally they are people (like me) that think aobut all the things that can go wrong or be done wrong and fail/break/hurt/kill/etc. :(

I was looking at diy axial flux motors for generators on wind turbines and it seems most of them use rectangular magnets with coils matching it's shape. This looks more ideal for giving you more area for magnets for a given diameter vs round magnets. Is there a reason most of the builds here have been for round magnets?
My guess is they are the easiest to find iwth the field orientation desired, in the sizes desired?

Some thoughts:
For a ceiling fan, AF will work fine though if it’s ironless then you may not want a BLDC control; look at PMSM because it is quiet… and there are tech notes online from motor control suppliers that will help you design a system exactly like you have described having low Kv and low Kt using 120 VAC.

The frequency that you are going to run at is so low that I wouldn’t bother with Litz, unless you really want to for grins. You’re just building a ceiling fan; KISS.

Example Ceiling Fan controller
Pedestal/Ceiling/Range Hood Fan
There's more examples if you're into doing a little detective work :wink:

Breezy here, KF

Back