Direct Drive Genesis

I was just ripping around in the snow and ice on the bike until my jeans were soaked and my backpack wires ripped off my batteries from doing donuts with foot planted. it was fun but was disappointing because I wanted to see the watt meter results but they shut off when the cords ripped off the battery :)

This little speed/voltage display screen I bought years ago is finally coming into play again! It seems to fit perfectly into one of my old Iphone5 cases. I an going to mount it to my handlebars until I decide to sack up enough money for another CA-DP!

IMG_0211.JPG

IMG_0212.JPG

IMG_1601.JPG

skeetab5780 said:
Ya last time I bought two BHT motors from vendor they were around $209 each with shipping if I remember

The LR motor was way more money, so im not sure which is the better deal

I also had to have a machine shop do custom work to the BHT while the LR I was able to setup on my own, counting the machine shop cost they were about the same price.

We stock the 69 kv 50mm stator in France, 175€ ex VAT/per, we also have some 60mm stator samples coming in Feburary ;)

bzhwindtalker said:
skeetab5780 said:
Ya last time I bought two BHT motors from vendor they were around $209 each with shipping if I remember

The LR motor was way more money, so im not sure which is the better deal

I also had to have a machine shop do custom work to the BHT while the LR I was able to setup on my own, counting the machine shop cost they were about the same price.

We stock the 69 kv 50mm stator in France, 175€ ex VAT/per, we also have some 60mm stator samples coming in Feburary ;)

$185 does that include shipping? What do you estimate VAT to be for US? What size shaft or sprocket does it come with?

Thanks

So I got home last night and see the dreaded FedEx label taped to the door of my house...I just hate when they do this. They need a silly signature or they wont deliver the box, a service which I didn't ask for! So I signed my name on the underlined area and now I must wait for them to deliver the item again...who knows when

This is obviously for my new Kelly Controller! I cant wait, but I have no choice

IT finally came in!!! And it is sooo small its awesome! Now lets see if I can make the wheel spin with it...
IMG_0219.JPG

KBS72121X 55a 120a peak 24-72v

edit: On my first attempt to wire it all up I chose yellow to yellow and swapped blue/green on both halls a phases. It spins and works perfect but in reverse.

Now to get it spinning the right way...

So far I found two combos that both spin it backwards perfect, nothing that makes it go forward yet

There might be a jumper needed or missing on one of the wires coming out of the controller which switches directions?

It has a reverse feature but i figured if i didnt use it it wouldnt matter, manual says reverse doesnt run at full speed unless you program it, default is 50%

Not sure if i tried all combos i had to leave for the day because of the snow.

Ya idk spec sheet shows the reverse circuit open so if i closed it reverse would be engaged

check this out:

Trouble-shooting_chart.jpg

Ya i was just on that post, funny you link it here. Wont be able to play with the bike till monday, cannot wait!

I had recently used a KLS4812S on my BBSHD. That's the same as yours but 48 volt and Sine Wave. The KLS's have an auto identify feature that works great. You just wire it in any way you want, connect it to you laptop after you have down loaded the program from Kelly and run the auto identify feature. It figures it out and makes it work. That gets it going and if it runs backwards then there is a box to check on the program that changes it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGYerVHIM0Q Maybe the KBS's have the same feature. If you email Kelly during their normal working hours, which for me is after diner, Fanny replies in minutes with answers to any questions.

Nice the controller looks similar, I haven't bothered to link it into my PC yet I have the cables. I figured I could get it spinning right by going thru combos. Also I think my motor is spinning the opposite direction of yours, but if your saying there is a reverse feature that causes no harm to run it at 100% throttle then it may be the solution. I still have only gotten it to spin backwards properly.

Edit: I just got around to fiddling with it after a busy mon-tues. I followed the chart for reversing the direction of the motor and it worked perfectly. Swapped blue/yellow halls and yellow/green phases on the controller side and works like it should.

Seems loud but I think its because its a chain drive on 20s! I do not have an amp meter for this high of voltage so we will never know for a little bit

Thanks everyone for the help
[youtube]AWXXNblP5Qg[/youtube]

This bike is stupid fast maybe 40mph with really really good acceleration, even with my 18650 pack its silly. It hits my LVC buzzer like 1 min after hot off charge, pretty useless if you hammer the throttle.

But this is by far the most powerful controller ive had. I am scared to do anything but a straight line since I have a regular MTB front wheel and don't want to kill myself (no helmet tests)

Seems to be a slight dead spot in the front of the half twist hall throttle paired with the Kelly. I will more than likely have to fiddle with the programming.

Threw my pack over my top tube to get a ride in
IMG_0239.JPG

IMG_0238.JPG

IMG_0240.JPG

skeetab5780 said:
Seems to be a slight dead spot in the front of the half twist hall throttle paired with the Kelly. I will more than likely have to fiddle with the programming.

You need to disable the "smooth" settings and set the "throttle up/down rate" to 1 or 2 (default is 3)

Thanks Bz! I will have to change that after my E-grin goes away...right now I just want to quit my job and ride this thing even though its 20deg outside.

Nice progress!

IMG_0154.JPG

If you can widen the U-shape half an inch on the tire side and drill extra holes half an inch to the left you can place the motor further away from the seat tube and have more suspension travel before the motor will hit the frame. Just a thought.

Ya that's a good idea. The motor can only move about 1/2" toward the wheel before it hits the gusset of the motor bracket anyway...widening the U will be ugly but that's what I get for not welding it in the right spot!

I could always move the bracket later on

Back