Display compatibility (SW-LCD) for E-bike with Bafang 500w 8-FUN rearhub motor?

turesnuur

1 µW
Hi all,

A few months ago I bought a second hand 'official' e-bike with 500w Bafang rear hub motor. It is 5 years old, has official registration so I have a license plate, have to wear a helmet and can legally go 45 km/h (instead of 25 in my country)

I have been putting around 1000 km on it commuting to work (40 km both ways). If I do not use the maximum PAS I can just about make it one-way then charge at work so I will soon be looking at adding another battery (there is an in-frame battery of 490 Wh) as I ideally want to go max power to cut down the time needed for commute.

What bugs me is that the PAS support stops around 39-40 kmh even when I am adding power myself and wattage is as low as 300. When driving away I can easily hit 600w peak or more. I also want to tweak how quick the bike picks up power (have a problem sometime getting away from traffic lights when I forget to switch down gears)/. So I want to have a look at the settings because clearly some settings are cutting the power. However the display (similar to the one attached but without the KING-METER) won't let me into the second menu using any of the PINs I found (1199 1919 etc). It may have been propriatery for this bike manufacturer (local brand).

So since I also like to have a more fancy display anyway and unless someone knows of more common PIN keys I can try... ?

Is the display of a Bafang 8-Fun rearhub generally replaceable? I get confused by all the different Bafang types... And even when One fits, is the code in the display or in the ESC? If I order an SW-LCD KING METER will it be a straight replace and allow me into settings? Any other recommended display replacement?

Thanks for any guidance! I could not find my answer through search, if I missed something obvious please point me in the right direction.

32bc8ecfbc4e68facd0b46cfd34cefcf.jpg

The LCDs can be proprietary for the controller, specific to that model/brand. Most likely your controller is LiShui / Li Shui / LS, and probably requires teh same kind of LCD to work on it.

Just changing the LCD probably woudln't change what settings are available anyway, tha'ts probably all in the controller.

So you will probably need to buy a new controller and LCD as a set, that is specifically listed as having the settings and abilities you want it to have.

Or, get a KT / Kunteng / Kun Teng controller and LCD3 model, and use the Casainho/Stancecoke/etc. custom firmware, and do probably anythign you wnat it to. Look up the open-source firmware threads for those controllers, there are several here on ES, and you can read about your options with that.

Either way, if you do change the ocntroller, the wiring will not likely be just plug and play, so you may want ot also read up other threads about changing controllers, as it might help you figure out the wiring.

Back