DIY BAFANG builds with torque sensor? based on 2024 workbook

clix

100 µW
Hey guys,

I was just checking bafang workbook for 2024.
https://bafang-e.com/Uploaded/Labels/202308100327283621.pdf

There are few things that I noticed:

1701559619270.png

Does anybody know anything about this M435 and M635 motors? Do they really have torque sensor?
It could be a more robust alternative to TSDZ2 (mine runs fine after 1.5years and 4000km, knocks on wood)

And also:

1701559920541.png

If thease sensors actually have torque sensing, that would mean that rear hub motors with torque sensing are possible?
Does anybody have any experiense with these?

If thease sensors actually have torque sensing, that would mean that rear hub motors with torque sensing are possible
That's been possible for more than a decade already, with the various BB torque sensors like TDCM, Thun, etc., and chain torque sensors like BEAMTS, though most generic controllers don't have an input for this, you can always use the Cycle Analyst v3 from ebikes.ca to read the sensor and generate a throttle signal for them.

More recently the Erider BB sensors have been more common, and others like Sempu, NCTE, etc.

Some info:

Last edited:
They have been out there for a little bit, high voltage did a video on the m635 but key things are its canbus 🤢 and requires their "smile" batteries 🤮.

That's been possible for more than a decade already, with the various BB torque sensors like TDCM, Thun, etc., and chain torque sensors like BEAMTS, though most generic controllers don't have an input for this, you can always use the Cycle Analyst v3 from ebikes.ca to read the sensor and generate a throttle signal for them.

More recently the Erider BB sensors have been more common, and others like Sempu, NCTE, etc.

Some info:
I was not aware of this, tnx.

They have been out there for a little bit, high voltage did a video on the m635 but key things are its canbus 🤢 and requires their "smile" batteries 🤮.

Interesting.
But, do these motors really need bafang smile battery? The integrated M series motors from bafang (I own M820) also have CAN bus interface, but they are happy to work with other batteries as well.
It would be a bit unusual, to say the least, that integrated bafang motors (M510, M560, M820,..) that also have CAN bus can use any battery, but the "aftermarket" ones like M635 and M435 can't.

Interesting.
But, do these motors really need bafang smile battery? The integrated M series motors from bafang (I own M820) also have CAN bus interface, but they are happy to work with other batteries as well.
It would be a bit unusual, to say the least, that integrated bafang motors (M510, M560, M820,..) that also have CAN bus can use any battery, but the "aftermarket" ones like M635 and M435 can't.
While I agree with what you are saying I couldn't find anything that could confirm it would be the same, just a few different people mentioning it had to use their smile battery. "JohnnyNerdOut" on youtube had mentioned he can't use any battery with his m625, but has also stated he should be receiving a m635 for testing in December so soon. I know it doesn't matter to most but the m635's torque sensor is canbus also so aftermarket controllers cannot take advantage of it

Interesting.
JohnnyNerdOut just did a livestream today and did confirm it would turn on and the throttle worked with a normal battery so its looking good so far, hopefully he will do a test with it mounted on a bike so we can see how the torque sensor feels

What is the point of buying this motor instead of ToSeven DM01?
Well the dm-01 is still a very new motor, very few display options, I know the torque sensing feels still needs a lot of work. The M635 is basically just a m625 or rather just a bbshd, but with a torque sensor and canbus. Bafang has gotten pretty good at getting the torque sensor feel down in there integrated motor lineup so hopefully this motor will follow those. I like the ToSeven motors a lot, but to me they are still very clearly in the early days and could use a lot more time before being ready for mass market adoption. Bafang should have this motor dialed in from the get go

is m635 so new that no one tested it yet ? i was pretty sure this motor was out year ago

Well the dm-01 is still a very new motor, very few display options, I know the torque sensing feels still needs a lot of work. The M635 is basically just a m625 or rather just a bbshd, but with a torque sensor and canbus. Bafang has gotten pretty good at getting the torque sensor feel down in there integrated motor lineup so hopefully this motor will follow those. I like the ToSeven motors a lot, but to me they are still very clearly in the early days and could use a lot more time before being ready for mass market adoption. Bafang should have this motor dialed in from the get go
JohnnyNerdout confirmed that DM-01 is going to be produced with cooling fins soon but Alexfnoble on pedelecs.co.uk disapproved that.
According to joeows6537 YouTube user on JohnnyNerdout Bafang M635 unboxing video Toseven motor stators have tighter press fit housings than Bafang resulting in better cooling

Last edited:
You might be thinking of the M625, the M635 came out earlier this year
ah... they no longer have m625 in catalogs so it's a new motor? the 635 is a replacement I guess . but m625 was only cadence sensor and 635 is torque sensor and m625 was CANBUS battery and 635 works with any battery ... ? to good to be true ?

It is a pity, but nothing (yet) about a M235 (?), the 250W version with torque sensor as a legal EU alternative for Tsdz2.

Last edited:
Is the general read they are reluctant to move to avoid cannibalising OEM sales? Or just prioritising the latter? Seems odd they put it off so long until competitors came along. Honestly the reliability and track record of the bafangs would make them the go to with a torque sensor

where / when can i buy the m635?
There's a supplier on Alibaba if you want one right now, I know JohnnyNerdOut in the USA has spoken on his livestream that his shop should have them in two weeks, not sure if they ship to Australia though

Interesting... finally a torque sensor from Bafang. I am tempted. Unfortunately the AliBaba listing does not show the specs. I would guess that the one offered is for standard 68/73mm threaded BBs, but it doesn't say. And the minimum order is 2, whilst I only need one.

There's a supplier on Alibaba if you want one right now, I know JohnnyNerdOut in the USA has spoken on his livestream that his shop should have them in two weeks, not sure if they ship to Australia though

Interesting... finally a torque sensor from Bafang. I am tempted. Unfortunately the AliBaba listing does not show the specs. I would guess that the one offered is for standard 68/73mm threaded BBs, but it doesn't say. And the minimum order is 2, whilst I only need one.
At the top of this thread the spec's were posted, looks like a m625 but with torque sensor, and the m625 was basically just a bbshd with CAN. For anyone interested here's the livestream where the motor was bench tested, skip to 33:45 minutes in :

As for alibaba you might be able to contact and order a "sample" consisting of one motor kit, but personally I would just wait for JohnnyNerdOut to get their stock in M635 Bafang Mid Drive- torque sensing | Johnny Nerd Out

So, I guess there is only the 1 standard 68/73mm BB size, at least for now?

At the top of this thread the spec's were posted, looks like a m625 but with torque sensor, and the m625 was basically just a bbshd with CAN. For anyone interested here's the livestream where the motor was bench tested, skip to 33:45 minutes in :

As for alibaba you might be able to contact and order a "sample" consisting of one motor kit, but personally I would just wait for JohnnyNerdOut to get their stock in M635 Bafang Mid Drive- torque sensing | Johnny Nerd Out

I watched the video where it seemed to work with a standard battery on the bench test but I have not seen one on a bike in motion like that. I'd love to see a real world riding test. But no programming ability? So, we'd be stuck with whatever firmware that comes with it forever? Unless someone comes up with a programmer that can connect via canbus? Bt even that might not be possible if they have it all locked down.

Should i order? 😄 motor is not canbus limited with battery... You can use any battery 💪💪. But proggraming via cable is not supported 😐
View attachment 345748

Back