Do you run disc brakes?

Put it this way i had a rim with a bad seam where it was joined. It was so bad that it caught evertime i tried to apply the breaks. After about 100 miles it was smoooooooth. There is some wear on the actual rim but how much before its to much... no one knows....but braking was a little soft for me. It stopped me but not in a respectable time... these disc brakes lock up the wheel. And it sometimes my pull brakes sounded like a walrus dying but not all the time. I toed in the pads and the still sound like crap.

Here are my thoughts. I had 2 vee brakes last year and when properly adjusted they worked fine, even from 80km/h to dead stop but they need adjusting almost every day when used with an ebike: pros - cheap easy to change pads and little to go wrong cons - lots of brake fade, need to be replaced often, they leave rubber marks on the rim and can make strange sounds in some conditions and they wear unevenly. Disk brakes pros - less brake fade, less adjustments needed the pads last a long time but I feel you need a heavy duty front fork to cope with the added stress. The older style brakes (horseshoe type) work ok but cannot stop you quickly at ebike speeds they will bend and the pads will wear very quickly, they may be ok for low power kits. The vee brakes worked fine for me. I went though 4 sets of pads in one year but this is over 4000kms of use. I think if your on a tight budget a bike with vee brakes is ok to start with but after only a few miles the limitations of the cheap front fork on most bikes becomes a problem. when you find some extra cash a front fork with disk brakes will give you extra stopping power way more travel, adjustable preload and dampening to adjust to your riding style, less maintanance and a more ridgid and predictable front end this will make your ebike very strong and handle a lot better. I run a cheap $250.00 full suspension bike with a highend front fork, it handles like a dream and with the sealed headset bearings I installed as well as oversized handlebars it feels solid under all conditions and I can stop on a dime now.

Now you guys got me worried about rim wear. The changeover to front disc is going to take some good $$$.

Reid Welch said:
Mechanical Engineer, my ass. BTW, I invented and used my own hemorroid ligation tool successfully, rather than visit a $$$$ MD. Disgusting but true. Ten years of suffering, fixed, just like that.

Ughhh! TMI TMI!

snowranger said:
Now you guys got me worried about rim wear. The changeover to front disc is going to take some good $$$.

Mavic makes very good rims and they have a "wear indicator" built-in the sidewalls of the rim. Once your pads wear away the rim a certain amount, the sidewall will start to show a red stripe or something to indicate you have maxed out the safe wear on the rim. I have over 10K miles on a 700C rim on the back of my recumbent and have not hit that indicator yet. I use Kool Stop pads with the pre-scraper thing to clean the rim garbage off before the main pads hits the rim. So far, so good!

Back