Double Checking My Pole Pairs

spooknik

1 mW
I am programming my Baserunner and it needs the number of pole pairs before it can run an autotune.

I am using a geared mid mount motor and according to the manual:

In a direct drive (DD) motor, it is the number of magnet pairs in the rotor, while in a geared motor you need to multiply the magnet pairs by its gear ratio.

My motor rotor has 16 magnets (poles) / 2 = 8 pole pairs (i'm actually not sure about this number)

The gear ratio (stated by manufacture) is 1:31.1

So 8 * 31.1 = 248.8 total pole pairs

I just wanted to make sure this number makes sense. All the examples listed in the manual are much lower and whole numbers and in the Phaserunner software you can only enter whole numbers.

Edit: I dug up this post from 2017, I will try to measure one hall sensor and do a full rotation of the pedals. That seems like a good way to double check everything.

spooknik said:
I am programming my Baserunner and it needs the number of pole pairs before it can run an autotune.

I am using a geared mid mount motor and according to the manual:

In a direct drive (DD) motor, it is the number of magnet pairs in the rotor, while in a geared motor you need to multiply the magnet pairs by its gear ratio.

My motor rotor has 16 magnets (poles) / 2 = 8 pole pairs (i'm actually not sure about this number)

The gear ratio (stated by manufacture) is 1:31.1

So 8 * 31.1 = 248.8 total pole pairs

I just wanted to make sure this number makes sense. All the examples listed in the manual are much lower and whole numbers and in the Phaserunner software you can only enter whole numbers.

Edit: I dug up this post from 2017, I will try to measure one hall sensor and do a full rotation of the pedals. That seems like a good way to double check everything.

It doesn't seem like the pole pairs will be used for anything, since you'll need an external speed sensor for speed. I'd just put in whatever number you come up with in order to complete the autotune and if 248 doesn't work, try something lower.

Back