Downsizing Through axle size on front forks

Stoic

1 µW
Has anyone been able or found a recommended method to downsize dnm volcano forks on a sur Ron from 20mm through axle bolt to a 15mm to allow 15mm pit bike wheels and tires?

I know the forks are pretty bad but remotely useful if streets used over off road. Was trying to see if there was a reducer that could fit between the left and right fork and slide a bolt through like the standard 20mm front axle but no luck. I know changing the forks to a triple tree 15mm axle setup but first wanting to see if I can preserve a bit of originality.

There is one company apparently that makes 20mm front and 15mm rear pitbike but nearly impossible to get ahold of them. Even going up to a 14 inch solid wheel and tire.

I did it one way once. Made a 25 mm fork fit a 20 mm axle.

I have run bikes manufactured with a 20mm axle, ( ZX9)... Installed a ZX10, 25mm fork, used the zx9 20 mm axle and wheel...

Cut a bushing (2, one for each side) ,to length, slightly oversize (.01 mm accurate )to take the OD of the axle and the ID of the fork axle hole ... then cut a slot on it , so it would clamp tight when you tightened the fork in place... and then went 180 mph on it for 5 years. The slot if so you dont fight it upon installation and it clamps up when you tighten the fork up.

Just a bushing with a slot in it, ran a 20 mm axle in a fork built for 25mm . I thought about tube for bushing, but could not find it in the right sizes so I just cut two accurate bushings on the lathe. I used aluminum, easy to work with. A tube would work if you can find one with 2.5mm wall.

Back