Drew12345 Alpha Flux, Max-E, MXUS 4T

Another nice vid drew. Neat riding area there. Kind of like some of the nicer terrain I have here.

Nice, some of that terrain looks a bit like mine with all those humps and dust.

Do you have any heat to deal with? All I can say is I have personally ridden with Sketch before and after he put fins on his bike. He couldn't climb for long before overheating and then after it was like the holy grail. He is about to get his designed mass produced hub fins out soon.

I'll be putting them on my hub with ff too.

John Bozi said:
Nice, some of that terrain looks a bit like mine with all those humps and dust.

Do you have any heat to deal with? All I can say is I have personally ridden with Sketch before and after he put fins on his bike. He couldn't climb for long before overheating and then after it was like the holy grail. He is about to get his designed mass produced hub fins out soon.

I'll be putting them on my hub with ff too.

Very interesting John, got a pic?

I thought you were following him already with this one Rix if not I am glad I mentioned it to get you in the loop. It is the next game changer after FF as far as I'm concerned.

He won an EV race on hubsinks and sure you know Hyena's motor fried on without them..

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=48753&hilit=sketchism&start=1350#p1216255

John Bozi said:
I thought you were following him already with this one Rix if not I am glad I mentioned it to get you in the loop. It is the next game changer after FF as far as I'm concerned.

He won an EV race on hubsinks and sure you know Hyena's motor fried on without them..

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=48753&hilit=sketchism&start=1350#p1216255

Thank you John, I sub'd to the link, now I got 55 pages of reading to do.

Yeah, hub motors get hot way too quick in mountains. I even have ferro fluid.

I've been watching that hub sink thread. Seems like he is really onto something. I hope he can reduce the height of fins though. I will paint mine black if I get some

In other news, been doing a lot of non-electric biking to get back into shape. But also ordered a bbshd. I almost bought Luna cycle complete bike with bbshd but found a super deal on eBay for same bike (giant stance 2) so just ordering the kit. Want something with little assist, mid drive and quiet. Not getting any exercise with these high powered bikes :)

Will start a thread on that probably in couple weeks.

drew12345 said:
Yeah, hub motors get hot way too quick in mountains. I even have ferro fluid.

I've been watching that hub sink thread. Seems like he is really onto something. I hope he can reduce the height of fins though. I will paint mine black if I get some

In other news, been doing a lot of non-electric biking to get back into shape. But also ordered a bbshd. I almost bought Luna cycle complete bike with bbshd but found a super deal on eBay for same bike (giant stance 2) so just ordering the kit. Want something with little assist, mid drive and quiet. Not getting any exercise with these high powered bikes :)

Will start a thread on that probably in couple weeks.

Awesome Drew, just a suggestion, you should turn this thread into your own ebike thread, like Jay did with his Hyena Thread.

Rix said:
drew12345 said:
Ran into sticker bush

[ube]

No shit, there I was, just riding along, and BAM, I hit the bush :lol:

Yup, took hand off for a second, then hit a rut, lost control and there I was in a bush. It was very sudden.

RobboCop said:
I take it thats a tube of thermal compound included in the kit?

No, not included. He charged and was just enough to do one bead on each piece. You can also buy same on Amazon.

Id say the ff is pretty important to get the most out of the fins. but there will still of course be benefits.

In the long run we still don't know exactly what effects if any ff have to magnets in particular what ever glue is used to keep them stuck down.... the heat path is def different than the manufacturers ever thought of....

I put in ff couple months ago. I have to open up to see if still there. With it being vented, I'm not sure. Most likely is since fins seem to work well.

I would recommend one more small "vent hole" well more of a peep hole exactly at the line where the ff sits. It should be easy to look in.... or probe a cotton bud to take "swab"

When I used to ride my vented hub off road there was constantly finest ochre dust build up. It was added to per ride and overtime it was a lot. I could air blast maybe 70% of it out with an air compressor. It was not problematic to riding vented but I see it as a major issue with FF. It would be fine to use FF and vented on road for a one off race gaining serious advantages from both. But we aren't usually cashed up enough or love opening up our motors enough to maintain it otherwise.

Since you off road I can guarantee you without a doubt that your FF is more like mud than fluid. And the heat path and "friction / drag" will only degrade in time. Cleaning it completely out is not harder than opening it up but that's tedious....

you might also be better served with a 6t if you are still overheating.

Hi Drew, out of interest(as i have a mxus 4T v3 sitting here brand new unused) how much power do you use when off roading on the 4T? As in, , how much continuous/settled amps does it pull and how much peak do you record? Also , what voltage please?

Andrew

brumbrum said:
Hi Drew, out of interest(as i have a mxus 4T v3 sitting here brand new unused) how much power do you use when off roading on the 4T? As in, , how much continuous/settled amps does it pull and how much peak do you record? Also , what voltage please?

Andrew

Good question. The letters are too small on my adappto to see continuous current. Plus trying to avoid hitting a tree while offroading. I'm running 20s so around 83v hot off charger. The video below is when I had a cycle analyst and had all the stats. The trail doesn't have any huge hills but best I could do. The adappto doesn't output this type of data. I'll try to get peak amps when I go offroading again with this bike.

[youtube]57kJ_k2C15Q[/youtube]

Ok no problem, I run an adaptto maxe too with a cromotor , what peak wattage do you reach as recorded by the adaptto?
I just want to get an idea of what to safely run a mxus at and at what kind of thresholds it begins overheating? It seems the mxus is prone to overhearing as most posts you about it are alongside ff and heat sinks

The max wattage I seen is 7.5kw when I've checked.

The mxus will overheat depending. When using max OVS setting, it gets hot in 15 - 20 min. This is just hammering the throttle a lot. If I put at OVS 3, which is a decent speed and efficiency, I can go for long time. With hubsinks, it seems I can go back out after just resting a few minutes in max OVS. It works well. I've only done one ride with hubsinks so will keep updating.

drew12345 said:
The max wattage I seen is 7.5kw when I've checked.

The mxus will overheat depending. When using max OVS setting, it gets hot in 15 - 20 min. This is just hammering the throttle a lot. If I put at OVS 3, which is a decent speed and efficiency, I can go for long time. With hubsinks, it seems I can go back out after just resting a few minutes in max OVS. It works well. I've only done one ride with hubsinks so will keep updating.

Thanks for letting me know.

Yes, OVS will most definitely make a motor overheat....quickly! I try not to use it. All it does is push up speed limit at the very end of a fully open throttle, which i dont have much use for in the woods. I tend to turn up phase amps, battery amps and PWR timing for more torque/surge/acceleration.

I hope the heat sink makes a difference for you. Keep us all posted with any temp difference you notice.

Thanks again.

Been a while mate, hows it all running still?

I broke my frame again which kind of spelt the end in my head for any more $$$$$$$ spent on the mid drive.

and have started heading back down the old hub motor trail. It's looking like a big heavy expensive one.

John Bozi said:
Been a while mate, hows it all running still?

I broke my frame again which kind of spelt the end in my head for any more $$$$$$$ spent on the mid drive.

and have started heading back down the old hub motor trail. It's looking like a big heavy expensive one.

Damn John, so, how big are we talking motor wise? QS273?

Hey Rix,

to me even 205 is big, I am just gona have to suck up and get used to the weight again. I dont see the point any bigger than that. Ive ridden with mates dumping more than 15kw through theirs.... I am even scared of half that power....

My bike should end up looking pretty generic, some would call it boring.... me would call it
:twisted:

HTB1Mw0UKXXXXXaCXVXXq6xXFXXXo.jpg

Back