Duct Tape E-Bay Lifepo4s???

kbarrett said:
These ping packs shut off and demand a reboot if you get near 40 amps momentary discharge ... my cheap-assed key switch has been doing just fine.

I would use a relay for an A123 pack ....
You may want to devise a means of bypassing the switch so you can get home when it gives out.

Richard

rf said:
kbarrett said:
These ping packs shut off and demand a reboot if you get near 40 amps momentary discharge ... my cheap-assed key switch has been doing just fine.

I would use a relay for an A123 pack ....
You may want to devise a means of bypassing the switch so you can get home when it gives out.

Richard

Already there. Tear switch out. Clamp leads together with small vice grips. Wrap v-grips in cloth. Ride.

If it dies, I'll get a heavy duty generic ignition switch from an auto parts store.

hi all
on the subject of switches I use a dp dt 16a very heavy duty switch with the wires going to both poles to increase the rating.

As for a key switch most controllers have a brake lead fit the key switch to that, no power no burnout!!

I use a 16A 250V DPST. Found some on eBay, 2 for $4.50 shipped, which is a great price. One wired in parallel probably handles peaks beyond 2 hp or 1500W. Overkill in my situation, but I don't want take any chances of experiencing a failure in the middle of a long trip. It also fits really neatly inside of my controller. Wired along with a resistor the initial connection spark completely disappears. Eventually I will wire a separate switch for the resistor to keep the battery from draining while connected.

dpstxv3.jpg

Hmm, those are AC switch and breaker. That means they can't handle arcing all that well. They would be rated for much less current in DC, probably...

Switches are usually conservative with their ratings. There's no DC listed, but it's probably something like 16a/30V. But I though AC and DC had fairly linear voltage and current under a resistive load, and the power would depend on phase? And also DC should be more efficient and dissapate far less heat. Will the difference really be that much. Now I'm confused.

Duct tape is pretty ghetto. :) I guess it should be all right at 48V/20Ah then, but not much over. Maybe the worse thing that happens is that the switch overheats and fuses together. I'm going to have to brush up on this stuff.

Gonzo said:
Hmm, those are AC switch and breaker. That means they can't handle arcing all that well. They would be rated for much less current in DC, probably...

It's a two-pole, and I ripped one apart to have a look-see. I have no doubts that it can handle quite a bit. It's actually probably one of the most robust pieces in the circuit. The wire inside is fatter than what's feeding it. Looks like 10ga, possibly even 8. Very high strand count, too. In the hundreds, probably.

It only arcs when I first flip it on. I'll take it apart and take a look at the contactor (silver oxide) when (if) I get a proper one.

For the second time, I failed to buy a 48V battery on e-bay today :( . I suppose the winner used a sniper ; maybe someone from here ?
I don't like Mr Ping's strategy, selling only one battery per week in order to get the highest price. Several potential buyers may be discouraged by the need to wait for another week, like me. Wouldn't it be better for him to sell 3 or 4 batteries at $620 each rather than 1 at $650 ?

Maybe Ping has to wait till he can find enough rejected stock in the trash to tape together for market?

Hopefully this is not the truth.

Have you tried emailing him to see if he will sell to you direct ? I remember somebody mentioning they did this a few weeks ago, paid a bit more but got what they wanted, when they wanted it.

Hi,

I would say order direct from Li Ping at pingping227@hotmail.com. I ordered 2 lipo packs, he quoted me a good price and they were delivered in less than 2 weeks to the USA.

I wonder if there is enough interest on the forum to organise a group buy ? I need a pair of 24V20A 's though that may change once I find out how a Cyclone will react to 48v input :)

tifalou said:
For the second time, I failed to buy a 48V battery on e-bay today :( . I suppose the winner used a sniper ; maybe someone from here ?
I don't like Mr Ping's strategy, selling only one battery per week in order to get the highest price. Several potential buyers may be discouraged by the need to wait for another week, like me. Wouldn't it be better for him to sell 3 or 4 batteries at $620 each rather than 1 at $650 ?

i think ping's trying to keep it simple, when i sold vintage audio on ebay in bulk it was hard to keep up with the e-mail's and outgoing shipments. my feedback suffered. and im sure he has a job on the side. i just add my highest price im willing to pay if i get outbid
i try again. its the nature of fleebay :)

IIRC, he just does batteries and the ebay auctions are "loss-leaders" for marketing. He will sell direct, as ianmcnallyianmcnally stated.

:D

I have just asked Ping for a quote.
I shall tell you.
Thank you everyone.

Merci à toi aussi Bikeraider. Cordialement.

I have emailed with Ping back and forth a number of times now. He has always returned my pre-sales emails usually within 48 hrs. He was working with me on a custom 48v 15ah battery shape to better fit my application and was patient with the multiple iterations. In the end it turns out the custom shape wouldn't work as planned so I have ordered a standard 36V 15AH pack for now.

The prices he quoted me for both the custom pack and the standard pack seemed very fair and better than the prices I've seen his packs sell for on ebay lately. He sent me a working EMS tracking number 6 days after I placed my order.

Within the next week or so I should have it mounted on my bike along with a shiny new BMC hub motor. :mrgreen:
:mrgreen:

Just got a quote back from Ping on my requirements. Guys, don't bother mucking about with fleabay, get in contact with Ping direct.

The quoted price is better than where the auctions have been finishing, by a reasonable margin.

Only issue is apparently Ping is running low on cells, so he is not selling direct for 4 to 8 weeks. I understand he will continue to sell on ebay though.

Pete said:
Just got a quote back from Ping on my requirements. Guys, don't bother mucking about with fleabay, get in contact with Ping direct.

The quoted price is better than where the auctions have been finishing, by a reasonable margin.

Only issue is apparently Ping is running low on cells, so he is not selling direct for 4 to 8 weeks. I understand he will continue to sell on ebay though.
hi all
I got a final email through from ping on the 20 of april stating that a paypal invoice was on the way I recived it and paid on the 21 of april. Ping has stated a lead time of 5 to 6 business working days not 4 to 8 weeks, the pack was a custom pack as well I asked for a 48v 10ah pack configuration two rows of 16 cells. Watch this space to see how quick the pack arrives my previous pack took 1 week I exspect about 2 weeks for the custom pack.
The price was on a par with the finishing price of this size of pack from ebay for the past 3 packs :D

geoff57 said:
hi all
I got a final email through from ping on the 20 of april stating that a paypal invoice was on the way I recived it and paid on the 21 of april. Ping has stated a lead time of 5 to 6 business working days not 4 to 8 weeks, the pack was a custom pack as well I asked for a 48v 10ah pack configuration two rows of 16 cells. Watch this space to see how quick the pack arrives my previous pack took 1 week I exspect about 2 weeks for the custom pack.
The price was on a par with the finishing price of this size of pack from ebay for the past 3 packs :D

Correct. Your cells were allocated to your pack before Ping ran low on cells. Now he has a shortage of cells for any new orders. With an estimated lead time of 4 to 8 weeks before he has sufficent cells to fill direct sales. Personally I am very happy he has been totally up front and told me of the expected delay. Evey business has logistical hiccups, but there are not many that are up front about it so you can make an informed decision whether or not to wait.

Back