E BIKE MY1020GDA 60V 1000W YK43B 24-60 V Controller

darkangel

100 W
here is calculation from, see page 10 to continue

3000 rpm
under load 900rpm - 950rpm 11 - 44t sprocket as per my actual setup

900rpm x 60min x 48T/11T x 29" wheels x 3.14 / 12" x 5280' = 94mph - 38mph wind and additional
cause of resistance = 56mph safe speed
resistance continued;
94 /250lbs estimated weight = .376 * 29" wheels =11mph

38mph + 11 mph = 49mp - 94mph = - 45 or 45mph estimated speed total

if anyone can figure better then this please post)

i dont need to see your opinion about this calculation, all i need is you to present your calculation

point is to make this motor running worm with correct gearing

free your mind!!!!

Without any pics and diagrams of exactly how it is setup, and only the description to go by (which doesn't seem to include all of the sprocket sizes you're using, only a 44T, but not saying which end that is on), my first guess is that your gearing is so tall that the motor can't handle the load at the RPM you're running it at.

Or, it is too small a motor for the load being put on it--without knowing what currents are being drawn it's not possible to say.

At lower motor speeds and higher loads is how most motors get damaged by overheating. Too tall a gearing means the motor can't spin fast enough to keep currents down by increasing Back EMF, and it burns up from overcurrent causing overheating. So you have to make sure to gear the motor so that under loads it will be used near the RPM it is rated for (at the voltage you're using it at).

If the motor smoked, it might be trashed or it might be fixable. You'd have measure from inputs to case and axle/rotor in each commutator position to see if it is shorted. Alternative is to open it up to see if windings are badly burned, and then measuring those windings to case/axle/rotor to see if they shorted to them. You can also measure from them to other windings.

It could be as simple as the input wires melted together and shorted, which is easily fixable, but it is also possible your controller could be damaged by that.

darkangel said:
Guys i need your suggestion
i have it all connected on my bicycle;
- me 175lbs
- genesis 29"/700 wheel Walmart bicycle real heavy bike
- MY1020-B GDA 60V 1000W electric motor TNC SCOOTERS
- YK43B 24-60 V Controller with throttle TNC SCOOTERS
- rhino 12v 12ah SLA battery * 5 pcs total 60v serial connection
- 40amp fuse (connected in b/w battery and controller)
- 44T chrome sprocket
- Sprocket Adapter (Clams Shell Small- CSS)
- Bicycle motor sprockets have 1/2" spacing between each tooth TNC SCOOTERS
- #415 chain
- 5" x 3" x 6" 10GA Angle Bracket
- 12g wires black & white, Walmart kind

the angle bracket is mounted on back wheel frame bolted by wheel hex bolt and one extra 1/4" bolt, holding MY1020GDA firmly no movement or whatever, then chain to wheel sprocket. now at first trial on flat road motor started grinding and not even 1/2 of mile just at 9mph when it stopped grinding MY1020GDA started smoking smelling like burning rubber then it died, no movement what so ever, 40amp fuse blown,
questions;
is this motor done for it?
should i get different kind of MY1020 motor and what voltage?
why did it happen, is it controller at fault?
what in the world i have done wrong?

I have done so much brain storming before i got it all together and now i'm tired and disappointed, this thread is my last resort. Also please don't suggest any hub motors as much as it costs i could get real scooter for the money.

thank you guys

What does the GDA stand for?

The controller you chose will allow 100 amps easily and I'll bet those SLAs were more than happy to supply enough amps for long enough to fry your motor if it was geared incorrectly.

i have no idea what GDA stands for,

the wheel sprocket is motor motorized engine bike parts 44T chrome sprocket and motor sprocket is tnc scooters bicycle sprocket 11t, the spacing in b/w sprockets hub to motor rod 12"

i hope that these pictures give some idea of what i was trying to make

so gogo maybe i should have used like less batteries, maybee like 4 instead of 5

That helps. With 11T on motor, and 44T on wheel, you've got a ratio of 4:1 on the motor gear speed to wheel gear speed. So running your 29" wheel at 9MPH means: (everything rounded off for convenience)
1 mile = 63360 inches.
63360 inches / 91 inches wheel circumference = 696 revolutions per mile.
696 RPmile * 9 MPH = 6264 revolutions per hour.
6264 RPH / 60 = 104 RPM at the wheel.

104RPM * 4:1 ratio = 416 RPM at motor, under load.

I suspect 416PM on that motor is an extremely slow speed, probably close to a tenth of it's unloaded speed at full battery voltage. That's a lot of load, easily enough to burn up the motor. Typically those types of motors are probably 2-3K RPM unloaded, IIRC, but it depends on the voltage you actually put in.

Do you happen to know what the motor used to spin at, at it's unloaded max RPM at max battery voltage at full throttle? That would help you determine what gearing it should be at to get your correct wheel speed. Then something like 80% of that RPM is what you should actually get when it's loaded down but at final full speed.

If you're not sure, then perhaps TNCscooters could tell you what it should be for that specific motor at your battery voltage.

If the unloaded RPM is many times the speed it actually spins at under load, then the gearing needs to be changed.

As an example, most of the scooters I have seen these types of motors on used gearing more like 11T on motor and 80T or 110T on the wheel, with a much smaller diameter wheel, for speeds around what yours cooked at--but even with only a 250W motor can handle it ok.

Do you know what current your system was pulling under load?

I am not super-great with math, so I might've screwed something up in calculations, or forgotten a step, so perhaps someone else will chime in here to make sure I am not pointing you down the wrong path--but I do think it's a gearing problem first, with perhaps other issues that don't help.

so
we got
29" wheels
3000rpm motor 60v
24-60 v controller
11 and 44 tooth
12v 12ah total 60v
40amp fuse limiting current to controller

i figure i should be somewhere at 60t sprocket

so all in all i need to get
my1020 48v 1000w motor
about 60t sprocket

and i should be able to ride at lieast 15mph with only 4 batteries so less 9 lbs, and hills come in picture i should just walk it of :)

That 40A fuse doesn't really "limit" the current to the controller, all it does is blow if current greatly exceeds that for a long enough period of time. Depending on the fuse, it could take a whole lot more than 40A to blow it, pulled for quite a while (at least several seconds, sometimes more than a minute dending on how much overload).

Either way, even 40A is probably a lot more than that motor can handle for long periods. Even if it is a 1000W *constant* motor, and not 1000W *peak* (which is what I suspect is closer to the truth), then even at 48V it would only take 20A constant. Since you have 5 SLA, which at nominal "12V" would only be 60V, but in reality should be more like 68V or more, when fully charged, then only 15A would put you over 1000W.

At 68V, which probably sags to 60-65V under load, maybe further, if it did pull 40A+ becuase of too high a motor load, it could be putting 2400W - 2600W thru the system, most of which is probably turning into heat inside the motor, and the motor is unlikely to be able to handle that kind of heat for very long. My guess is the current is even higher than that, but since the voltage will sag even more because of that, it might still balance out to around that same power level overall.

Exactly how much current or wattage is being used would need to be measured to say how your system is actualy working. I highly recommend a wattmeter, like the Cycle Analyst, Watts Up, Turnigy Watt Meter, or a number of others, but short of that a high-current multimeter or even a 50-100amp analog automotive gauge from Harbor Freight or an auto parts store would at least help you see what current is being used under load.

As for whether 60T or not will work, you'll first need to figure out or measure what the unloaded speed of your motor is at the voltage your system actually runs at, and then do the calculations to make sure the speed you want out of it at the wheel isn't going to be too much for the motor, so the motor can spin at 80% or more of it's unloaded speed when the bike is at it's top speed. This is not a hard and fast rule, but it should help keep you from burning up motors and controllers. ;)

If it is 3000RPM at 60V, it's probably more like 3200RPM at your actual system voltage. 80% of that is about 2600RPM, so you should gear the bike to maintain at least that RPM at the motor when you're at speed, keeping in mind your wheel diameter as well as your wheel chainring size and the motor chainring size.

Personally I suspect you need a much larger wheel chainring than 60T, to keep currents lower in the motor, but without knowing what is actually happening in your system I couldn't say for sure.

Remember--if the motor you are using was rated for 48V at a certain RPM, it's going to be a lot faster at a higher voltage, and you must gear the bike to let it spin as close to that RPM as possible, at the speed the bike will be going at, under the load it will have to handle. You'll also have to keep in mind that the motor will get a lot hotter running it faster at the higher voltage, and it will not be able to handle the full wattage of the higher for as long, unless you can get the load off of it with better gearing.

FWIW, one thing that might help us understand where you are at now, knowledge-wise, and better help you figure out what to do to fix the problems with the bike, is to post some of your final prior brainstorming that led you to what you got for final numbers, that led you to get the parts you got already. Just knowing which parts you got and the results of it only helps a little.

darkangel said:
so
we got
29" wheels
3000rpm motor 60v
24-60 v controller
11 and 44 tooth
12v 12ah total 60v
40amp fuse limiting current to controller

i figure i should be somewhere at 60t sprocket

so all in all i need to get
my1020 48v 1000w motor
about 60t sprocket

and i should be able to ride at lieast 15mph with only 4 batteries so less 9 lbs, and hills come in picture i should just walk it of :)

the first thing that i wanted to do with this bike is to add gas motor but looking as some posts about this genesis bike i decided not to as nothing fits it.

through my research i ran into calculator posted by one of the endless sphere members that can calculate the sprocket teeth based on rpm, wheel size, motor sprocket size, but dang it i have no idea where i saved it.

the ratio that i came up with by using that calculator was 60-66t, but going back to endless - sphere i have seen many posts showing the bigger the wheel the small number of teeth should be used.
so i figured guys were buying 42t sprockets for 26" wheel i should get 44t sprocket for 29". kind of like o'what a heck, what could happen it's just sprocket.

and now i know, it's costing me a lot of money to fix it

I've discovered in my quest for motorizing my bikes, that it is rarely as easy as it looks, and I have broken a lot of stuff, and burned out one motor completely, damaged others, and broken the shaft on another. :oops:

One of the reasons I came here to ES was to learn more so I could make my own working chain-drive (thru the gears), and I am still learning even now, and making mistakes that cost me time and materials, and sometimes money. :( I went hubmotor just to get on the road again, as my knees (and lately the rest of me) aren't doing very well, but am still working on various chaindrive ideas.

I tend to experiment with the gearing after calculating the basic ratio, because it seems that real-life rarely works quite like the numbers say it should. ;) Using a wattmeter (or at least a voltmeter and current meter) allows me to see realtime what the effect of different gearings is, so I know if it's more than a motor/etc. can handle *before* I destroy them.

I have also found that at least two speeds are a good thing, if you can set it up to do that: one gear ratio for startup and slower speeds, and another for top-speed cruising. It'll let you use the motor much more efficiently and still let you get a good startup torque, as well as higher speed if you want it.

MY1020 equipped with reduction gears? man where the heck were you before, let me see what tnc scooters have. that's great idea

i just checked TNC scooters, will this motor work

http://tncscooters.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=52_56&product_id=338

MY1020ZX 36 Volt, 600 Watt, 550 RPM Gear Reduced, 21.3 Amp, permanent-magnet motor.

seams like there i may just get this bike on the road again

let me know guys, what do you think. i am now excited again

sorry i i was looking at this one

http://tncscooters.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=52_56&product_id=337

600W GEARED Motor - 36 Volts (Style: MY1020Z3)

well seams like i will be giving my last penny for this motor and pray to god it works so all is not lost

MY1020ZX 36 Volt, 600 Watt, 550 RPM Gear Reduced, 21.3 Amp, permanent-magnet motor.

so here is what i will have

MY1020ZX 36 Volt
44t sprocket
24-60v controller
29" wheels heavy duty tires
3 sla batteries
me

and hopefully everything will be OK

will this work with my chain?

Dat's krispy. :(

You could rewind it, possibly to a lower speed, but if the gearing isn't changed it'll still fry.

I don't know enough about the gearing in the TNC motors to say if they're good enough for what you want--someone else will need to chime in. I'm presuming that the recommendation you got for that one means it should work, but I try not to actually assume anything. :)

guys what do you think about this one

http://www.motiondynamics.com.au/geared-scooter-quad-e-bike-motors-12v-36v/electric-bike/750w-36v-dc-gear-motor.html

Back