• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

E-S Greyborg owners' pics

boostjuice said:
Cool. So this one belongs to 'Crodriver'? Full respect to your band of e-revolutioners. $#!T gets done in Croatia!

He is CroDriver... I wonder how fun the bike is, because he is used to drive THE green bmw....

A few pages earlier:

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=25459&start=105

His HS3540 motor span out inside the dropouts, so am a bit worried about my motor doing the same. Maybe if you could come up with a torque plate I would buy it.

I dont think you would be able to spin the motor axle if you touch the inner part of the dropouts Spacey.
Btw how is the alu swing arm going Hal?
Im in line waiting for the belt drive, alu swing arm and the big motor.
:)

I dont think you would be able to spin the motor axel if you touch the inner part of the dropouts Spacey.

I would agree with this, I had mine about 4mm from the end when it happened. As you move further back from the end, the flex factor would increase, also, if pushed against the end you would have the added effect of the hard end hold the axle from turning. I was using the space from the end as a way to tighten the chain (I was using single speed), but if you use a chain tensioner or are running gears, I would always push the axle to the end of the dropout, then I don't think it would be an issue.

Hmm guys I would fit one to be honest, what if the wheel moves in the drops? easy to make something and fit it, better to be safe than sorry :?

Hope it doesn't seem like I am down on the whole thing, nothing could be further from the truth....I love this frame.

Just would hate to wreck a motor as I am seriously low on funds :)

Do you think using regen will be ok, there is a bit of play in the axle....not much but just a little bit. Maybe I could weld some more steel to the sides of the axle and file it to shape so that there would be a lot more meat or just make a torque plate.

By the way I have not pedals yet but did take it to work using a bit of wood as a foot stand ....drives so damn nice and smooth.

I already have four of the ebikes.ca torque arms on order, they show up this week and I will be mounting two on each side, that should stop this HS35 axle of evil. If you are using regen I would definately fit a torque plate. This is why the nuclear solution torque arms like John in CR use a bolt at the end to tighten, if the torque arm doesn't have a closed end, it has a weakpoint/flexpoint.

I received my Grayborg frame yesterday, thank you Accountant. It took 21 day to get to South Carolina USA from Croatia. Not bad for half way around the world.

When I picked the package up from the post office I was horrified. The package looked like it had been through a meat grinder. I was sure the frame inside was completely destroyed. To my surprise and delight the interior packaging was much better than the exterior and the frame and parts were unharmed.

Barry

Attachments

• 017-1.JPG
    017-1.JPG
    25.1 KB · Views: 3,211
Yes, outside is not beautifull at all #$% !!!.

Custom officers opens every package that is going outside from Croatia, and than do not close is very carefully.

I know that and must put plenty of added inside protection, which increases weight.

It would be the best and profi to send the frame in the wooden box..... but transport cost would at least double.

and USA post has limit of up to 20 kg per package.

It is not so simple task to consolidate all of this different demands.

Accountant,

The quality of the frame looks great. I am very pleased with the purchase. Shipping is just a bump in the road on my way to a fun build.

Barry

Is there going to be another run of these frames....or are you done at 25? I just recently came across this thread and am in love....to say the least I was disappointed when I saw they were sold out? :cry:

Yes

There will be another batch with this configuration :

Front fork with dual disc brakes

Steel frame with plastic canopy in basic collors, or in white for easy custom spraypainting

Schlumpf with belt drive (http://www.schlumpf.ch/hp/schlumpf/antriebe_engl.htm)

Allu rear swing arm

Custom motors, lighter than Crystalyte, with more torque, and possible upgrade to liquid cooling

Custom controllers, developed on Infineon basis

frame.jpg

Yes

There will be another batch with this configuration :

Front fork with dual disc brakes

Steel frame with plastic canopy in basic collors, or in white for easy custom spraypainting

Schlumpf with belt drive (http://www.schlumpf.ch/hp/schlumpf/antriebe_engl.htm)

Allu rear swing arm

Custom motors, lighter than Crystalyte, with more torque, and possible upgrade to liquid cooling

Custom controllers, developed on Infineon basis

Hi Accountant,

Will the alu swingarm be available for purchase alone (for people with the 1st Gen Greyborg), and will it bolt straight on to the 1st gen Greyborgs? Are they replacable steel torque plates on the picture in your post? If yes, how much (ball park) do you think the alu rear swingarm might be on its own? Totally understand if you can't price it right now, but the sooner I know the price the sooner I can start justifying to myself upgrading the rear swing arm. Replacable/modifyable torque plates would be awesome.

The idea of liquid cooled hub is so awesome and already has my mind racing.....

I looked around dropout and high torque issue. I never had a 9C motor and also never had spinned axle. I think the problem is M12 thread. the dropouts are calculated with M14 thread axle wich have bigget flat part and bigger holding dia and can take some 25% higher torque. Another thing to watch out is to mount axle as far front as possible. If you use standard bile chain maximum mount distance from most front position is 0.5" or 12,7mm. If you mont it further away then you need to short the chain by one link pair. If you use hangout and rear shifter the mount the wheel as far front as it goes. There is a simple way to make dropouts stronger; drill 5mm hole just behind adjusted axle normal to top plane of dropout. Tap M6 thread through both part of dropout and then dril 6mm hole through upper part. Tight it with M6*25mm screw. I will post some pictures to explain this on universal language. I bet 1000 words will be enough :)
Hope this helps.

Yeah the HS motor axle is a bit thinner which is surprising as it puts out more power than the 9C motors, so no idea why they chose such a thin axle?

Any idea on the cost of the new Aluminium swing arm?

I guess they dont wanna disclosure the prices changes (hoping its not gonna be much) before all parts are ready. Im pretty sure Hall ll post pics when the arm gets machined.

Grayborg builders:

Need a little help from someone who has installed the bottom bracket and the swing arms. Can you tell me the thread size for the bottom bracket and also the threading for the two bolts that will hold the swing arms together. Thanks in advance.

Barry

Hi Barry

I believe the bottom bracket thread is the standard 1.37' 24TPI that is commonly used in most bikes, one left and one right handed.

The 2 bolts that hold the swing arm together are M8 25mm long.

Welcome to the club :mrgreen:

Comradegerry thnaks for the information.

My original plan was to start the Grayborg project this winter when I have more time. Also, most of the parts for this build are going to be donated from Turbo Lance my current EV transportation. Transferring parts especially the batteries would cause me to be without electric transportation for an extended length of time during the prime riding season, which is unacceptable to me.

However I can’t help myself, every time I’m in the garage and pass by the frame I get bike build fever. So I decided to mount the swing arm just to satisfy my urge.

The bearing went in fairly easy. I used a Drumal drum sander to remove the paint from the surfaces the bearings would be attached. After the attachment surfaces were cleaned I applied a light coat of grease with the idea that a little lubricant would help the bearing slide into place.

I used a vice with wood gaskets to start the bearing and a hammer with a piece of wood to finish seating the bearing in place. Everything went easily into place without incident.

Comradegerry was kind enough to give me the bolt size for the swing arm attachment (8mm 1.25 threads) which I found at the Home depot. Again with some help from Comradegerry on sizing, I also picked up and installed a bottom bracket.

The last part of the swing arm assembly to install is the rear shock. I purchased a cheap e rear shock off of E-Bay. I think it will work OK until I can finance a better shock.

I used a 5/16 shoulder bolt to mount the shock to the frame. I am looking for an 8mm socket head shoulder bolt with 49mm of shoulder and 15mm of 1.25 threads to mount the shock to the swing arm. Any shock mounting ideas or bolt source information anyone would like to share will be graciously accepted.

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    18.6 KB · Views: 3,157
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    17.2 KB · Views: 3,147
  • 011 - Copy.JPG
    011 - Copy.JPG
    23.9 KB · Views: 3,157
  • 013 - Copy.JPG
    013 - Copy.JPG
    21.2 KB · Views: 3,157
  • 015 - Copy.JPG
    015 - Copy.JPG
    14 KB · Views: 3,157
Good to see some progress, I am sure it will be your obsession till its up and running, happened to me at least. I am waiting on the last couple of parts of my jigsaw then I will have a working bicycle at least. I picked up some of my bolts from these guys,link below, good pricing and service and shipped quickly. The other hardware I picked up from ProBolt USA, but it was a bit more expensive and not any better to be honest, I just found them first :roll: . I have a terrible weakness for titanium, I should really see a doctor for help. I have a new Ti hardtail Rohlhoff 29er frame sat in my spare bedroom waiting to get built up after the Greyborg is up and running, I may be beyond hope already...

http://torontocycles.com/

As the Greyborg guys said to me.... my suspension unit on the rear is too big :( My wrists are hurting from the odd riding position. Think I will have to go down to a 24inch rear wheel or mod the rear frame so the suspension sits lower.

My fault totally as I love long travel suspension....and its too good suspension unit to just not use

Great frames and I am looking forward to the new swinging arm.

Back