E-S Stealth Electric Bike Owners

Yep that's me. I'm positive my husband will be all over the bomber when he sets eyes on it in the flesh. He's a far better dirt/mountain bike rode than I am. Tarmac/road riding/rAcing has always been my thing so this will be a steep learning curve for me.

Allex said:
voicecoils said:
HAL9000v2.0 said:
New V-boxx came with liquid fat.
NLGI 00

Cool. Wiki describes NLGI 00 as having the consistency of 'applesauce'. :lol: It's also the second lightest grade described, so it should be quite low friction.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NLGI_Grade

Guys in some recent posts used Super Lube in theirs vboxxes. Super Lube have a NLGI grade of 2 which means peanut butter (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NLGI_consistency_number) if you compare it to food.
That is very thick. I think I would rather be using something more fluidble :) to avoid rolling resistance in the gears. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CL_4T9YJInA I have around 1500km on my bike and I will try to change old oil in the winter. Remember to use cleaning oil before you change to new apple sauce :)

I was the first to try super lube in the Vboxx. Needs to be grease. the box isn't liquid tight. The man I got the tech information from about the VBoxx is Dlogic. Dlogic has had a few Vboxx take apart and repaired them himself. He is the foremost expert on the Vboxx and is the guy that made the super Raptor a couple of pages back. About a year or so a go, I asked him if I could put some synthetic 80/90 differential. He said no because it would be a leaky mess and told me to use grease. So I went with the super lube and it has been great ever since. If you end up trying the NLF1 00 and it doesn't leak or seep out of your Vboxx, please let us know. It may be another optoin for the Vboxx.

nevermnd said:
morati said:
On a side note, I ripped my Berm Master tire today on a root, so I won't be using them anymore. Going back to Duro's. Stealth chose them for a reason. Anyone know where I can get them besides Jenson?
Sikka, my Bomber will also wheelie easy with a little tug on the bars and I have my power turned down when I go trail riding to 50amps. No problem getting my front wheel over obstacles so I agree with Rix that the Fighter should do the same. Go ahead and order it, you won't regret the decision!

I *tried* to get some Razorbacks from Jenson but they are currently on 30 day back order.
Already got 2 pinch flats on my 300 miles worn Razorback, last hope would be Mr. Tuffy + Maxxis Extra Heavy Duty 21x80,90/100 MC tube (thanks Rick!). If that fails, then Shinko SR241 2.75-19 on a mc 19x1.4 rim as suggested earlier.
Having a worn tire is a bad excuse not to ride or at least try to :)
Had to walk 3 miles on Saturday with a flat, bomber is so heavy when pushing it up slippery muddy hills :!:

FYI, I ordered some razorbacks from Jenson 2 weeks ago and at that time the expected ship date was September 20th. I canceled my order with Jenson and ordered the Maxxis high roller 24x2.5 tire from the Maxxis estore. They also make a 24x2.7 but that was not available on the maxxis estore nor could I find them online. The high roller tires are not cheap at $70 each but hey there is a set of lucky dice on the side :mrgreen:

pneu-maxxis-high-roller-dh-aro-24_MLB-F-4618463676_072013.jpg

After my pinch flat I now bring a repair kit, and a compact pump. If I go long distance into the moutains I have a spare tube and wrench I will bring along.

Well after 1500km my rear razorback is finito. I would like to put something more silent as razor whine a lot on tarmac. But I use the bike in a combined terrain 50% on tarmac 50% in the woods. You think crazy bob or hookworms would be to slippery for me? And what size is it I should get, 26 x 2.25?

Allex said:
Well after 1500km my rear razorback is finito. I would like to put something more silent as razor whine a lot on tarmac. But I use the bike in a combined terrain 50% on tarmac 50% in the woods. You think crazy bob or hookworms would be to slippery for me? And what size is it I should get, 26 x 2.25?

Allex, consider yourself fortunate to get that kind of distance out of the Razorback. I average 300 miles 500KM on mine before going to the moto tires. If you go with Crazy Bobs, you will want the 24x2.35, the 26 in any size will not fit your rim.

FYI, I ordered some razorbacks from Jenson 2 weeks ago and at that time the expected ship date was September 20th. I canceled my order with Jenson and ordered the Maxxis high roller 24x2.5 tire from the Maxxis estore. They also make a 24x2.7 but that was not available on the maxxis estore nor could I find them online. The high roller tires are not cheap at $70 each but hey there is a set of lucky dice on the side :mrgreen:

pneu-maxxis-high-roller-dh-aro-24_MLB-F-4618463676_072013.jpg

After my pinch flat I now bring a repair kit, and a compact pump. If I go long distance into the moutains I have a spare tube and wrench I will bring along.[/quote]

Mad dad is running the Maxxis high roller on his ebike in the 26x2.35 size. He will be running the 24x2.5 after he gets done relacing his MAC to the Alex 24 I got him. His Bike weighs 62 pounds and he ways 215. Running between 1500-2000 watts through his geared hub, he gets right at 1000 miles out of the rear with the front about 70% worn. Before I went with the MC setup, I would have tried the Maxxis Highroller 24x2.7 if I could have gotten my hands on one. Oh well. Let me know how the 24x2.5 holds up for you. I get tons of PMs about bike tire setups, Some folks have asked me about this tire in the past. I never ran it so couldn't comment on it. What I can do is say; "I know this guy that tried them and he said XYZ about them". If you don't mind of course. :D

Rick

Yup, same here, i never leave the house without the following items:

1. Spare DH Style thick rubber inner tube 24"
2. Patches and glue for those small pinches.
3. 24 mm wrench. ( In case the inner tube is unrepairable and needs replacement )
4. Tie wraps
5. Compact air pump

If you have a total flat on the rear wheel and can´t fix it on the spot, pushing the bike home is a bad idea. Even a single kilometer is total torture. :twisted:

But with the above " emergency items ", there´s no flat that can´t be fixed.
Be sure to inspect the inner side of the tire for possible sharp objects still stuck in the rubber prior to reassembly. :)

-----Ride on!! Yeah!!-----

Dlogic said:
If you have a total flat on the rear wheel and can´t fix it on the spot, pushing the bike home is a bad idea. Even a single kilometer is total torture. :twisted:

did that for 8km
1.5 hours and 2liters of water needed to arrive

lessons learned:

go for mx tyre and mousse = no more flat

dh-paule said:
Dlogic said:

did that for 8km

lessons learned:

I was intrigued by your avatar pic and have to ask:
Do you run stock phase and hall connectors between the motor and ESC?
Any extra seals on the controllers cables going out of the bottom?
Are you running some kind of mud guard on rear shock?
That picture looks like a pretty caked up bomber :)
Whenever I dip in some deeper water, the hall sensor gets wet and I have to dry it off to fix the stuttering.
It happens even though there is a ton of dielectric grease stuffed in the connector.
Marek

I have ordered a marzocchi 888 rc, did i do wrong? Has anyone got this here? And another thing , this fork comes in 26 only? The one i have ordered is 26 is that a problem. What size the stock rst forks is ? Is it 26 too? Ow so many questions,, i didnt know chain reaction was in the uk. I thought it was in the us and thats the very reason i did not order anything in the fear of the high import taxes.

Athaneco said:
I have ordered a marzocchi 888 rc, did i do wrong? Has anyone got this here? And another thing , this fork comes in 26 only? The one i have ordered is 26 is that a problem. What size the stock rst forks is ? Is it 26 too? Ow so many questions,, i didnt know chain reaction was in the uk. I thought it was in the us and thats the very reason i did not order anything in the fear of the high import taxes.
i think but i am not sure that chain reaction is a uk based store also i think all forks says 26 inch so that is no a problem

Thx Rick.
I found Maxxis Holy Roller, looks interesting, more rubber than Crazy bob so probably be better than Crazy Bobs with off road(?)
Is it the same here, should I get 24"x2,4?
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/se/en/maxxis-holy-roller-wire-tyre/rp-prod7135

Rix said:
Allex said:

Allex, consider yourself fortunate to get that kind of distance out of the Razorback. I average 300 miles 500KM on mine before going to the moto tires. If you go with Crazy Bobs, you will want the 24x2.35, the 26 in any size will not fit your rim.

nevermnd said:
dh-paule said:
Dlogic said:

did that for 8km

lessons learned:

I was intrigued by your avatar pic and have to ask:
Do you run stock phase and hall connectors between the motor and ESC?
Any extra seals on the controllers cables going out of the bottom?
Are you running some kind of mud guard on rear shock?
That picture looks like a pretty caked up bomber :)
Whenever I dip in some deeper water, the hall sensor gets wet and I have to dry it off to fix the stuttering.
It happens even though there is a ton of dielectric grease stuffed in the connector.
Marek

The Controller is inside the frame and all connectors placed inside the frame. I can ride in the mud without issues...

Still looking for a good looking mud guard for the rear shock, didnt found one till now. I am using neoprene at the spring if its to much mud out there.

Normally it is enough to spray "Ballistol" to have a hydrophobic film at the bike. Makes it much easier to clean the bike

this is one of the guards I was testing:

MAFIA said:
wow 24 tires are really rare this days

Yep. My Maxxis High Roller tires shipped out the next day. I got them from the Maxxis estore. I spoke to Maxxis this morning the 24x2.7 is out of stock. They do have the 24x2.5 which is what I ordered. Will test them out and let you all know what I think. I wonder if Maxxis or another manufacturer that also makes motorcycle tires can make a custom tire for us that is durable like the motorcycle tire but fits a bicycle 24 rim? I'm sure the cost would be high but would be willing to spend the extra money on a good long lasting tire.

By the way the Shimano Zee brakes I got with the Shimano ice tech rotors are awesome! I had a car pull in front of me and I can say I did stop on a dime literally :roll:

Athaneco said:

I have the Marzocchi 888 CR 2013 forks and they are awesome. Unless you have the MT8 upgraded brakes you will need an adapter for your brakes, I upgraded my brakes to the Shimano Zee brakes with Shimano Ice Tech rotors so they fit right on the 888 forks. The local bike store installed the forks and brakes for me so I don't know what all was involved but the guy said it was no problem so I assume that means no adapters needed. The other popular brake option are the hope brakes which MAFIA has.

Athaneco said:

No you didn't do wrong. This fork will work fine. the 26" reference is for maximum clearance which would be a 26x3 DH Tire probably OD of 27.5" actual. If you were to measure from the center of the axle to the top of the cross base on your fork, it will probably come out around 14" So your 24" front Stealth wheel and tire will have more than enough clearance being that your radius measurement is 12.8" with a new tire.

Rick

Thanks for your replies, regarding the 888 . I have the mt8 so no adaptors for me ,which is good news. Do i need to change the spring to a stiffer one? I weigh about 85kgs.

dh-paule said:
Does anyone know where I could purchase mousse and an mx tyre that could fit my Stealth Fighter bike in the Sydney region? and would i need to replace both tyres or just the back?

thanks for the help so far in seat suggestions and thumb throttles. i'm still unsure if you can get cruise control on a thumb throttle...i mean using ur thumb for acceleration, wouldn't that just cramp your thumb from constant use too?

Stealth_Bombering said:
MAFIA said:
wow 24 tires are really rare this days
Yep. My Maxxis High Roller tires shipped out the next day. I got them from the Maxxis estore. I spoke to Maxxis this morning the 24x2.7 is out of stock. They do have the 24x2.5 which is what I ordered. Will test them out and let you all know what I think. I wonder if Maxxis or another manufacturer that also makes motorcycle tires can make a custom tire for us that is durable like the motorcycle tire but fits a bicycle 24 rim? I'm sure the cost would be high but would be willing to spend the extra money on a good long lasting tire.
By the way the Shimano Zee brakes I got with the Shimano ice tech rotors are awesome! I had a car pull in front of me and I can say I did stop on a dime literally :roll:

I missed this yesterday, but most heavy duty MTB DH tires are 2 ply rubber and the lightest duty 70x100-19 are 4 ply. Being that I proved 2 ply not to be adequate enough for what I got going on, and the 4 ply being way over kill, a 3 ply tire with hard rubber would be the ticket for hi powered Ebikes. Even though Ebikes have been around since Lee Iacocca concepted his ebike in the 60s, ebikes are really in the beginning stages of infancy. As their popularity increases, no doubt that someone will contract with a manufacture for a heavy duty 3 ply tire that would fill this niche. I have recently heard rumors that there is an ebike company that is looking actively into doing this. But I have not confirmed so I wont' go into any more details because it would only be gossip at this point and I don't like to gossip. That being said, anyone wanting a better tire combo for the Bomber should check out Korpin's Phasor on the Phasor thread. Based on my testing and recommendations, He has been running front and rear Shinko 2.75x19 SR241 on his Phasor. He loves it. I have another guy running the 3.00x17 SR241 on the rear and the 2.75x19 SR241 on the front. Neat looking and still looks like a bicycle. I will ask him for permission to post the pics he emailed me. For tougher tire options on the Bombers/Fighters, currently this is the next option.

Does anyone know where I could purchase mousse and an mx tyre that could fit my Stealth Fighter bike in the Sydney region? and would i need to replace both tyres or just the back?

There is no MX tire that would fit your Stock Bomber rim. However, being that I have had great luck with using 80x90x21 motorcycle tubes on the front wheel of my Bomber, the smallest 21 front wheel Mousse could work with the 24x3 Duro Razor back. I haven't tried this so I don't know for sure. Your best option would be to lace your rear hub to a 19x1.4 or 1.6 MC rim and run the Shinko SR241 with a 70-100x19 Moussse like the one DH Puale was/is looking into. I don't know what the weight penalty for the mousse is over a regular tube, but the results would be never flatting again.

Rick

will post the weight of this combination as soon the rim is laced and the mousse is in ;)

Back