E-S Stealth Electric Bike Owners

ryrideswhat said:
Well guys, it has been real (a little too real) - and I'm bailing. Decided to get myself a proper motorbike (125cc for now) and pursue a motorbike license.

I use my bomber like a motorbike anyway, and that's probably not safe. Drivers don't treat you like one, no noise, no brake lights, indicators, etc etc.

I'll be taking the bomber back to the shop some time around next week, however, if someone on here (in or near London) wants to come and buy it, then I'm happy to hear you out. It has a scuffed up pedal on one side, and a scuffed handlebar end-cap. Entirely aesthetic. Oh and the front brake likes to squeal- I'm told this simply need an unscrew and rescue of the brake pads, but I'll leave that to the dude at the store. (Actually I prefer the squeal as it means I'm more audible haha!)

I actually contemplated strapping a Bose wireless speaker to the bike, calling it from a Bluetooth headset, and making bike noises as I went. Like Homer... haha!

[youtube]bG6ICFL7AdI[/youtube]

Message me if interested, otherwise, thanks so much for all you help guys. Communities like this are what makes these sorts of nutty passions work :)

dude seriously...
http://www.trailworld.co.uk/

go to this school. Ive been to it 3 times before for offroad riding get an education bedore you really F yourself up.. you can get to it by train. I used to live in London these guys are really good. you will learn so much about bike control then decide what you want to do about the bike. Getting a license is not gonna help getting an education and getting skills will. Best of luck man dont give up so soon!

Samer said:
Villain said:
morati said:
New problem just happened.....I just lost 1st, 3rd and 5th gears on my Bomber. Happened all of a sudden while pedalling. Any ideas Fellas?

I have the exact same problem with my vboxx. I have contacted dlogic but he didn't have many ideas. My problem came about when the bike was just over a year old and had done about 500km. Stealth says the vboxx will have to go back to Taiwan to be fixed. I have not had time to take the bike apart yet.

Hi guys today my vboxx stopped working 1st 3d and 5th gears :( any body know someting about that? Cheers

Yes, I know all about that.
The box will have to be pulled apart, the problem is with a spring on the input shaft freewheel.
There are two ways to get this fixed,
1. Have the box sent off to an authorized vboxx service center.
2. Do it yourself or have a non authorized service center do it. I temporarily fixed my box but will need to get the proper parts eventually. I have been waiting for Stealth to supply the parts for 5 months now.

I was looking at buying a bomber bike till I saw The BRD Redshift is here… http://electricmotorcycles.co.uk/off-road-dirt-electric-motorcycles/

In this monster (impractical thread) I wrote a post about 6 weeks ago explaining how to re-valve the RST R1 fork to make it perform much much better. Maybe I also posted a photo of the shim and piston mods required.

The stock R1 has an insanely stiff rebound stack, and no comp stack! So it compresses too far too quickly, and then holds down or else the tire disconnects for too long. That sometimes means one minor bump under the front tire and down you go.

It also has a lot of friction on the damper rod seals in the right leg. Especially the reb shaft seal at the bottom. I tried a few different fork oils. Better than stock but not great by any means. The seal felt like some kind of polyurethane rubber, which effectively grabs the damper rod. Plain stupid. If I still used those forks I'd try a thicker oil. Like 15w. Full synth ester based. Like Motorex.

But to make the R1 useable for offroad or downhill, you must revalve it. The Fighter likes a fast rebound and firmer comp. Exactly the opposite of the stock R1.

I forget how the right leg comes apart, but it's not too difficult. You only need to work on the right leg. I do remember removing the external adjuster knobs on both ends.

In the left leg (spring side) I did some mods but I cannot remember now.

If you get the fork working right on the Fighter, then it's so much easier and more fun to ride fast offroad. The R1 doesn't do the bike justice. You also need the correct front vs rear ride heights for the type of riding you do. Then you can throw it into corners a lot faster, look well up the track and let the suspension soak up everything underneath you. Well almost. The 8Kg rear hub weight and overly stiff rear spring has caused me to have a few entertaining crashes on stuff where it just shouldn't end like that.

The stock rear DNM shock is over-powered by that 650 lbs/in spring, but still ain't a great damper in my opinion. Later this month I'm going to fit a X-Fusion Vector HLR coil shock, with a 550 lbs spring. I'm 165 lbs, and the stock 650 spring is way too firm for my needs.

stevebills said:
I was looking at buying a bomber bike till I saw The BRD Redshift is here… http://electricmotorcycles.co.uk/off-road-dirt-electric-motorcycles/

Each to his own. If you're looking for a dirt motorcycle, I don't know why you'd be interested in an electric bicycle anyway. That's two completely different animals.

If I were you though, I'd wait a little while before buying one. Very soon there's going to be a lot more choices to choose from. Yamaha is one that comes to mind.

ManxE said:
Anyone installed a heater on their battery for riding in cold climates? I noticed that my battery/motor performance drops off markedly when temperatures are low...

I have instaled heating elements between the batteries and a termosensor in my Vector, as only temperature drops under 50 degree it starts heating battery pack to 55. The only bad thing is now I need wait before ride 5-8 minuts )

Nice video Artur, you are to fast for German bike paths :)
When I did my video, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gF3JO3nqrKw a lot of people complaind about not seing the actual bike, even tho I pointed out the homepage in decription their comments was like: How does the bike look like? Even tho I did have a few shots of the details on it! So a tip, mix road fotage with bike fotage. Also, if you want to do a promo video, make it really short, tops 2 minutes people usually shut off after 90 seconds and don't drive against the rules
Udachi tebe!

P.S.
Oops, I did it...

Attachments

• DSC04564.JPG
    DSC04564.JPG
    107.1 KB · Views: 2,947
Alex your video is cool but wish the shots of the bomber weren't so fleeting? It's kind of like teasing ;) if you're going to show it, give people a few seconds to take it's beauty in ;)

Not going to comment on anyones riding styles but some of these videos make me cringe... waiting for a car door to open or someone to step out from behind a vehicle. :shock: I've seen people lane split at 160km/h+ (in real life) so I guess compared to that it's all relatively tame :shock:

:pancake:

Theodore Voltaire said:
Repair it yourself
Send it out for repair
Buy a new VBoxx
Ride your bike with 6 gears.

What works best for you?

Personally I would probably try to buy a new VBoxx, before doing anything, because I hate being without my bike. Once I had a spare in hand, I'd try to make repairs on my original, and keep it as a rotating spare. If I failed to make the repair, as a last resort I'd send it to a authorized repair center.

Where can you buy a Vboxx from?

Allex said:
Nice video Artur, you are to fast for German bike paths :)
When I did my video, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gF3JO3nqrKw a lot of people complaind about not seing the actual bike, even tho I pointed out the homepage in decription their comments was like: How does the bike look like? Even tho I did have a few shots of the details on it! So a tip, mix road fotage with bike fotage. Also, if you want to do a promo video, make it really short, tops 2 minutes people usually shut off after 90 seconds and don't drive against the rules
Udachi tebe!

P.S.
Oops, I did it...

Thank you :)

I like your ventilation holes design, looks were accurate. The only thing missing are thouse outside "wings" for pushing air inside the motor.

Cowardlyduck said:
Artur said:
Video from my evening ride in Munich :) We have one from London, now Munich.. Common, who is next? :)
0 respect Artur. Your riding will get yourself or someone else killed.

It might look faster then it was in a real life due to super wide angle. Those who have gopro probably understand me. P.s. I'm not riding like this all the time) it takes alot of concentration and I like more relaxed ride.

I have the exact same problem with my vboxx. I have contacted dlogic but he didn't have many ideas. My problem came about when the bike was just over a year old and had done about 500km. Stealth says the vboxx will have to go back to Taiwan to be fixed. I have not had time to take the bike apart yet.[/quote]

Hi guys today my vboxx stopped working 1st 3d and 5th gears :( any body know someting about that? Cheers[/quote]

Yes, I know all about that.
The box will have to be pulled apart, the problem is with a spring on the input shaft freewheel.
There are two ways to get this fixed,
1. Have the box sent off to an authorized vboxx service center.
2. Do it yourself or have a non authorized service center do it. I temporarily fixed my box but will need to get the proper parts eventually. I have been waiting for Stealth to supply the parts for 5 months now.[/quote]

5 months? thats rediculous

will contact them see how it go

boars said:
Alex your video is cool but wish the shots of the bomber weren't so fleeting? It's kind of like teasing ;) if you're going to show it, give people a few seconds to take it's beauty in ;)

Not going to comment on anyones riding styles but some of these videos make me cringe... waiting for a car door to open or someone to step out from behind a vehicle. :shock: I've seen people lane split at 160km/h+ (in real life) so I guess compared to that it's all relatively tame :shock:

Yeah that was the point, to tease.
Theo, yeah a lot of weight in this motor the covers are 5mm thick!

Changed my Bearings. Big diff. now. Thx Rick! NSK bearings had a noticeable play compared to SKF. I know that some bearings have more play tolerance than others. I have only around 6000 km on my bike and only use it in dry conditions so not sure what's going on here with those NSKs.
So taking it apart with gear puller, really easy to do when you have the righ tools:

DSC04497.JPG

Stator color after feeding it with 11kW. Thx to the temp sensor it looks OK! Not that dark as one of the Ricks :)

DSC04498.JPG

Here is a photo, old ones are above.

DSC04518.JPG

And a video so you can hear it. I am trying to true the wheel now. You can see the rim wobble difference on the video as well:
[youtube]Ln_wFj0LLWQ[/youtube]

ezza said:
Theodore Voltaire said:
Repair it yourself
Send it out for repair
Buy a new VBoxx

What works best for you?

Personally I would probably try to buy a new VBoxx, before doing anything, because I hate being without my bike. Once I had a spare in hand, I'd try to make repairs on my original, and keep it as a rotating spare. If I failed to make the repair, as a last resort I'd send it to a authorized repair center.

The first place that comes to mind to buy a VBoxx would be Stealth, but I'm hoping any Suntour dealer would be able to get one.

Allex said:
boars said:

Yeah that was the point, to tease.
Theo, yeah a lot of weight in this motor the covers are 5mm thick!

Changed my Bearings. Big diff. now. Thx Rick! NSK bearings had a noticeable play compared to SKF. I know that some bearings have more play tolerance than others. I have only around 6000 km on my bike and only use it in dry conditions so not sure what's going on here with stose NSK.
So taking it apart with gear puller, really easy to do when you have the righ tools:

View attachment 1

Stator color after feeding it with 11kW. Thx to the temp sensor it looks OK! Not that dark as one of the Ricks :)

Here is a photo, old ones are above.

View attachment 2

And a video so you can hear it. I am trying to true the wheel now. You can see the rim wobble difference on the video as well:
[youtube]Ln_wFj0LLWQ[/youtube]

I wish I could take the credit for referring you to use SKF units, but Martin, aka Dlogic, was the one that turned me on to SKF Bearings, and now I pass on to any one who will listen. As you demonstrated in your video, the difference is very noticeable. Very clean vents BTW. Its funny how my stator has darkened. Even though I was flowing about half the kw you are, its because I live in hot hilly climate. You could smoke a 54xx stator on 1kw, if you stalled the wheel long enough and held the throttle WOT. I am heavy and hard on shit. It shows. That said, the new thermo rollback Stealth has incorporated into the models, I don't think I can hurt a motor.

It might look faster then it was in a real life due to super wide angle. Those who have gopro probably understand me. P.s. I'm not riding like this all the time) it takes alot of concentration and I like more relaxed ride.
Yah its because you have your fisheye for HD enabled it looks faster because as the side view passes by the edge, they blur creating the allusion of speed. The vids I shoot with my go pro have the fish eye disabled which is why my perceived speeds are look more close to my actual speed. I do this so folks don't think I am speeding up the footage during editing. Actually, I had one guy pm me and ask if I sped up my footage, I don't I just ride fast in the desert. Good vid BTW, Munich is nice in the fall.

Your video is a good demonstration Allex. It's very easy to tell the difference. That will help all of us tell when our bearings are getting worn out.

How tight are the bearings on the axle? Do you install them in the hub first, and then put the motor together, or do you install them on the axles first?

Seems like our motors would be a good application for ceramic bearings for someone with deep pockets?

Theodore Voltaire said:
ezza said:
Theodore Voltaire said:
Repair it yourself
Send it out for repair
Buy a new VBoxx

What works best for you?

The first place that comes to mind to buy a VBoxx would be Stealth, but I'm hoping any Suntour dealer would be able to get one.

When I first got the Bomber, I wanted to get some 175mm crank arms. I contacted Suntour's US service center in Washington State. Couldn't reach anyone by email or phone, then I contacted Suntour Asia and got a response to contact Suntour US. My experience dealing with Suntour sucks. I would go through Stealth.

Theodore Voltaire said:
Your video is a good demonstration Allex. It's very easy to tell the difference. That will help all of us tell when our bearings are getting worn out.

How tight are the bearings on the axle? Do you install them in the hub first, and then put the motor together, or do you install them on the axles first?

Seems like our motors would be a good application for ceramic bearings for someone with deep pockets?

I put them in the stator covers and then install the cover over disk brake side first so you can carefully feed the phase and sensor wires through the bearing and axle channel. Then mount the sprocket drive side stator cover onto the stator hub flange, then guide the axle through and watch your hub motor slam back together.

wow i never thought there could be that much difference in noise coming from the bearings. good to know and thanks for the vids.
the need for wheel truing after opening the side covers is really annoying. it was the same with my cromotor if not even poorer.. bad chinese production tolerances.

Excellent work on bearing vid
What do we all think about this

http://youtu.be/hq3r3d-2eZo

Wheels look abit of a weak point

madin88 said:
wow i never thought there could be that much difference in noise coming from the bearings. good to know and thanks for the vids.
It depends so much on how much oil is in the bearing! You can pop the seal off a sealed bearing and repack it with bearing grease. Also bearings are rated for different heat ranges, which dictates how much freeplay they have in them when cold.

Back