Electric boat research

I haven't personally made any progress in this regard. I was out of the EV game for a while and recently jumped back in. But I'm focusing on bicycles and motorcycles at the moment. I do still have 3 boat projects waiting for me, but I have about 17 bike/motorcycle projects waiting. :lol: I'm on an extended road trip at the moment, but I plan to get a few builds done when I get home.

My setup is simple and effective. It probably does not have the performance you are looking for but it satisfies my needs. So far Kayakers have never been able to out pace it.

http://youtu.be/2pQBSmFXNrw

Attachments

• IMG_2571.jpg
    IMG_2571.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 3,979
  • IMG_2572.JPG
    IMG_2572.JPG
    14.9 KB · Views: 3,979
mr.electric said:
My setup is simple and effective. It probably does not have the performance you are looking for but it satisfies my needs. So far Kayakers have never been able to out pace it.

Some guys might find the details of your motor and battery interesting?

That's wonderful Mr. Electric !
Way way more performance than the stock 34lbs motor.

Can you please describe what and how you did it ?

I went onto a few kayak fishing forums. The guys who were getting out there a few times a week fishing on electric kayaks recommended the cheapest motor you can find on Walmart.com. Not because it is cheap but because it is best suited to a kayak. I remember one guy is named silent Bob and he claims the electric motors are quieter than paddling. He backup his claims with lots of photos of big fish he caught.
I found the motor to be very effective on my canoe. I had planned a dual motor setup since the motors are so cheap - $100 shipped to your house. After running with one motor I found it fast enough.
I built a 3s2p pack from left over Turnigy 5000mahr cells. I've been out about 8 times with the set up. It works well. I went out initially about 5 times with a small 25ahr lead batt which works too.
The motor I bought is branded Motor Guide.
I think this is it now. Maybe MinnKota bought MotorGuide
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Minn-Kota-Endura-C2-30-lb.-Thrust-Trolling-Motor-with-30-Shaft/15686718
With two adult passengers in my canoe we even beat one of those 25 passenger dragon boats. I did not intend to race them we were just going the same direction. The high school dragon boat team began to sprint. The guy with the megaphone started yelling stroke, stroke at a fast pace. All 25 or so students dug in and started to pull as hard as they could. I twisted my motor to full throttle. Slowly but surely My boat overtook them. I felt like a cheater after but I am glad I got to really test my set up.

So the motor is original? I thought it had a turnigy inside :) At our lake i drive 5 years with these whisper motors, but I think your canoe makes it so fast. Normally we go about 5kmh with a small boat.

Yes, I hooked it to a small row boat and it went much slower. My Canoe is very light very fast and very tippy....

Jeremy Harris said:
I also tried running a narrow chain drive down inside a stainless tube. This was very low loss, but a complete pig to assemble. Here's a pic or two of it:

3870807534_f0eaec72b1_o.jpg

3870808278_d0d0ea7d56_o.jpg

I was going to fair the leg to make it more streamlined, but decided not to use it.
Jeremy

Hey Jeremy
I know it's an old thread, but maybe your still watching it, otherwise I'll PM you...

Do you have a little more detail on the chain and sprockets used with this? I was thinking about building one like yours, using a bicycle bb-shell and either the seat or downtube.

Cheers, Nico

I'm trying to build an electric longtail type outboard for my canoes in India.
Just started researching and got this link to good old Endless sphere. :)

I may start a post about it, but I want to learn more about the build system first.
ie. What type of motor to use? I have only decided to use a brushless motor but have no idea of what size and watts to use. A low torque motor would be good, but what type of motor/make by what manufacturer to use I have decided yet.

Any tips and advice would be great.

I am thinking of using a solar panel to power the batteries and was planning on using a leisure lead acid battery but once again any advice would be most appriciated.

Any help? :)

Longtails should be an intriguing method to propel. I torched two 6374 bldc motors and various Phoenix ESC's trying to push a 15 foot boat. And I did that without using full power--24 volts if memory serves.
The motors weren't geared down, and used small lowpitch props. The props stretched off the stern longtail style.
The Torqeedo uses a bldc, with a planetary gearreduction system.
There's a lot to be said for the trolling motors, which like the Torqeedo, are immersed for cooling. That of course creates extra drag, which a longtail might eliminate. Trolling motors, however, use bushings and plain old dc motors, so there's a lot left to be desired.

SPP or Surface Piercing Propellers are now entering into the Low Speed and displacement type category.

The MOG is a Totally Solar Electric Driven and Powered 40 foot live aboard, 18 inch draft boat that can ply intracoastal waters and estuaries.

The currently dated November blog http://www.mognavy.blogspot.com/ has begun this SPP task for the ALGEMAC II, a privately owned and funded MOG prototype.

The site http://www.mogcanalboat.com/ shows the historical and base technical background while indicating the future direction of the project.

I am new to this site and would appreciate any information from readers about SPPs or any thing else for propulsion.

Also appreciated, would be how JAY64's boat project is progressing.

Back