Electric Scooter Survey--Your input desired

cpaden

1 µW
Hello all, your group was recommended to me by another forum and our engineer. I work with a company that is developing a high-efficiency electric motor. I am interested in potential consumer markets for the motor and am working with a group of MBA students to survey the potential market for an electric scooter. Could you help us out by answering the following questions:

1) Would you consider buying an electric-powered scooter? Why or why not?

2) Are there specific features of a scooter that you particularly like or would like to see developed?

3) What speed and distance would you like an electric scooter to be able to travel (within reason) before needing to have the battery charged?

4) What price would you consider paying for an electric scooter?

5) How do you currently use your scooter? Work, school, recreational? Do you go nearby or long distances?

Thanks very much for any input you can give us.

Best,

Cindy

Welcome to ES. Please define "scooter"? It can either mean a Vespa looking seated vehicle or a standing kicked affair.

Cindy,

You might try another forum with more members that buy scooters: Visforvoltage.org

1. Yes, I bought a scooter that does 60+mph and could go 40miles but I limit my trips to around 34 miles/charge. After buying a Prius, I wanted an EV. But I wasn't happy with the mpge of current EV cars. My scooter gets 450mpge at $3.60/gal gas. Tax credits here in Colorado made it a no-brainer to buy vs build. My $6550 scooter has cost me less than $1200 after tax incentives and company referral program. I expect the bike to have cost $0 by the end of this year (second year of ownership). Who doesn't like free EVs?

2. Min 72v, 40AH battery pack (preferably 60AH cells). But more importantly, provide a J1772 charging port for 1Hr full charge times. Check out: http://www.plugshare.com. J1772 charging stations are popping up everywhere and more are coming every month. By providing a 1772 fast charge option, you will have a huge leg up on the competition and the issue of range disappears.

3 & 4. Mentioned above

5. I work from home so travel is for errands and pleasure/leisure riding. Most of my trips are within 8 to 24 miles round trip, but I have done a few 75+ mile trips.

Good luck,

1) Would you consider buying an electric-powered scooter? Why or why not?
Yes. Because it's a cool toy.

2) Are there specific features of a scooter that you particularly like or would like to see developed?
Must perform at least as well as a Honda 50cc scooter. Must be lighter, no more than 50kgs. Must be efficient, no more than 33wh/mile at 30mph average. Must be as reliable as a Honda scooter.

3) What speed and distance would you like an electric scooter to be able to travel (within reason) before needing to have the battery charged?
40mph max, 40 miles range at 30mph average, single passenger, flat ground, calm day.

4) What price would you consider paying for an electric scooter?
No more than 50% more expensive than the cheapest Honda 50cc scooter.

5) How do you currently use your scooter? Work, school, recreational? Do you go nearby or long d50stances?
Recreational, around town.

IBScootn said:
Tax credits here in Colorado made it a no-brainer to buy vs build. My $6550 scooter has cost me less than $1200 after tax incentives and company referral program.

Wow! That's an excellent deal. Do you mind sharing all the numbers? That is what/how did you shrink 6,550 to 1,200?

Back