electric vs gas theory

I had a little think to myself about the issues with the design and I would of had 3 20Mw turbines multi fuel friendly with 3 20Mw Azipods 60Mw max output but 40Mw will get it shifting nicely then put 2 large supercapcitors inbetween that can give full discharge to the azipods for double the length of time it takes the turbines and generator to reach max output from idol again giving more redundancy. That way any powertrain surges are easily taken care of you can still have multiple fuel sources, redundant power generation and propulsion, there's nothing new about the parts of the design so why use billions of pounds in the navy's across the world for something that is far from dependable.

I think they have forgot the Seven P's - Proper, Prior, Planning, Prevents, Piss, Poor, Performance, redundancy comes from design adding more doesn't mean extra safety at all it comes from well engineered designs that will stand the test of time its no good having a ship that shuts down or other failures that are easily avoidable within better planning.

Without knowing the rise time of the turbines etc it's all guess work but it would need to be massive to stand as the middle man and I know this is quite some feat to achieve but it's doable with current science just need the A team.

http://www.windpowerengineering.com/design/electrical/ultracap-bank-capable-of-discharging-1-mw-for-60-sec/

I dont think super fast startup is a big consideration for the Navy.
Unless you are planning for another "Pearl Harbour". Type event ?
Military vessels will have their various levels of "Readyness" when they are in an operational situation.

Back