eLongboard - plastic is fantastic :D

Idea

10 W
Hi

I would like to present your electric longboard, in which motor mount, battery enclosure and electronic enclosure are printed on a 3D printer.
My English is bad, so I wrote a little (for errors in spelling sorry)

My eLonboard is made up of:
Deck - SantaFe City Cruiser
Trucks - Paris 195
Wheels - Orangatang Kegel
Motor - 2 x Turnigy Aerodrive SK3 - 5055-280kv
Lipo Battery - 2 x Turnigy 5000mAh 3S 20C Lipo Pack (optional 4x) - modular construction
ESC - 2 x FVT-120A
Transmitter - Quanum 2.4Ghz and FlySky FS-GT3C (Alternatively)

Other elements are printed

Conceptual design:
Zrzut%20ekranu%202015-09-27%2012.28.54_cr_zpsv7p0pnfi.png

Zrzut%20ekranu%202015-09-27%2012.29.15_cr_zpsjehhy98q.png

Zrzut%20ekranu%202015-12-15%2011.53.01_cr_zpsqesmaz0v.jpg

Zrzut%20ekranu%202015-09-29%2021.51.51_cr_zpskpdjwuwl.png

This looks really slick. Is the motor mount meant to be printed or is it to be milled?

Lovely modelling work on Sketchup (or what software is it?).

I can't see 3D printed parts being anywhere near tough enough for motor mounts, or the battery box. I 3D print a fair bit myself, but nothing in PLA or ABS is tough enough for the work that motor mounts have to do.

Idea said:
The project was created in Solidworks. The drawing is highly simplified and can not see the details. Box battery box ESC and motor mounts will be printed with the PLA, wheel drive gear with ABS.

Please do yourself a favor, don't use ABS / PLA and use PETG instead! You'll find it to be way more cost effective and just better in any area than both PLA and ABS. eSun PETG is a quality one, that's what I use. Any problems I encountered are due to design only (or printer hazard), not material.

I use solidworks too, can I ask how you do the rendering and apply textures? Assembly is really useful feature.

Edit : To stick PETG to your bed, use washable glue and warm bed to 75-80C that's enough. Print at 240C for consistent object.

Thank you for the link :)

The board is awesome. Yes PETG is great, I hope to show some videos of it soon so you'll get a practical idea.

Is it a personal project or will you sell complete boards / boards kits? Lovely design.

With the gap created for the sliding cover in the 3D printed part, did you run into any issues in printing that section? I assume with PLA, the hot filament would droop at the edge unless you had the fan blasting.

I would LOVE to see your files. I'm getting started on my first build and have access to an Ultimaker 2+ Extended, but my modeling skills aren't nearly good enough to make stuff this good.

Thanks for the compliments :)
In a week or two it delivers stl files on http://www.thingiverse.com/ so everyone who has access to the printer 3d will be able to do it.

Long-distance tests have not yet been. Longboard is tested only over short distances at low speeds. I had a knee injury, so tests of measuring temperatures at long distance driving at higher speeds are delayed.

Hi Idea
Really like the clean lines, awesome design.
Looking forward to the endurance tests.
Thanks for being prepared to share the design for others who may want to print and test it, that is the spirit that makes this forum so great.

Nice! Hey I do know of a Lithium hydrogen 26650 cell which manages 70A continuous and packs 3500-3600mAh, could be awesome for this 12S setup!

Vanarian said:
Nice! Hey I do know of a Lithium hydrogen 26650 cell which manages 70A continuous and packs 3500-3600mAh, could be awesome for this 12S setup!

Or VAPPOWER IMR 26650 has a higher capacity 4200mAh and lower prices, but smaller discharge current 40A.
In my case, not 12S, but 2x6S so the discharge current will amount to 80A.

Hello,
wounderful work! its beautiful!
would really love to get your files - and try to remix them to a mountainboard. (credit eill be given)
any chance you can upload the files?
even if you dont wish to share the design, can you please comment on how it holds?
any tips when trying to design such a mount?

Back