eLongboard - plastic is fantastic :D

Wow, awesome modelling and design work. I will, however, be surprised if everything can actually hold up. Some of the shocks a board experiences when hitting bumps or gaps in the road/path are pretty extreme. If they can crack aluminium and bend steel, ABS is gonna have a hard time I reckon. How are you stopping the motor mount from swinging around the hanger/axle?

I also suspect that the ABS wheel sprocket may wear quickly, since ABS has pretty bad wear characteristics. I have to recommend Taulman 910 nylon for this application, I've used it to successfully print wheel sprockets for my Evolve, where I just cloned and optimised the OEM design for 3D printing, even though the design needs reinforcement with nails because of the narrow bosses which interface with the Kegel wheels. The belt teeth have been exceptionally wear resistant, with seemingly less wear over time than the OEM part, which I believe is molded polyacetyl. I suspect that the nylon belt facing wears very well against the nylon 910. There's also little dust, I think less than before. I've used them for easily 500 km, or about 2 million rotations, with negligible wear on the teeth. Mine have to be replaced because the bearing seat in them widens and the sprocket goes crooked, but that's a consequence of the Evolve design where the sprocket has a bearing and doesn't screw into the wheel (bad idea IMO, the axle has to be really long and it gets bent easily).

My next goal is actually to test spur gears made from 910, so that the wearing parts of the drivetrain can be printed entirely, instead of still having to buy belts. I also don't like how belts can fail catastrophically with little warning, so I'd like to experiment with gears. I know that there are some disadvantages with gears like the possibility of rocks getting wedged in there or maybe increased wear, but they will be so cheap to print and easy to change. I'm also looking forward to the gear whine. The pitch is a nice speedometer, and the loudness lets you know the torque!

viper said:
Hello,
wounderful work! its beautiful!
would really love to get your files - and try to remix them to a mountainboard. (credit eill be given)
any chance you can upload the files?
even if you dont wish to share the design, can you please comment on how it holds?
any tips when trying to design such a mount?

The files in STL format elements boards are available on https://pinshape.com/items/18726-3d-printed-mounting-system-for-5055-motor-for-trucks-paris-195

alexaus said:
Wow, awesome modelling and design work. I will, however, be surprised if everything can actually hold up. Some of the shocks a board experiences when hitting bumps or gaps in the road/path are pretty extreme. If they can crack aluminium and bend steel, ABS is gonna have a hard time I reckon. How are you stopping the motor mount from swinging around the hanger/axle?

I also suspect that the ABS wheel sprocket may wear quickly, since ABS has pretty bad wear characteristics. I have to recommend Taulman 910 nylon for this application, I've used it to successfully print wheel sprockets for my Evolve, where I just cloned and optimised the OEM design for 3D printing, even though the design needs reinforcement with nails because of the narrow bosses which interface with the Kegel wheels. The belt teeth have been exceptionally wear resistant, with seemingly less wear over time than the OEM part, which I believe is molded polyacetyl. I suspect that the nylon belt facing wears very well against the nylon 910. There's also little dust, I think less than before. I've used them for easily 500 km, or about 2 million rotations, with negligible wear on the teeth. Mine have to be replaced because the bearing seat in them widens and the sprocket goes crooked, but that's a consequence of the Evolve design where the sprocket has a bearing and doesn't screw into the wheel (bad idea IMO, the axle has to be really long and it gets bent easily).

My next goal is actually to test spur gears made from 910, so that the wearing parts of the drivetrain can be printed entirely, instead of still having to buy belts. I also don't like how belts can fail catastrophically with little warning, so I'd like to experiment with gears. I know that there are some disadvantages with gears like the possibility of rocks getting wedged in there or maybe increased wear, but they will be so cheap to print and easy to change. I'm also looking forward to the gear whine. The pitch is a nice speedometer, and the loudness lets you know the torque!

Thank you for your suggestion. Large pulley printed with ABS, mounted in my longboard drove 150km (600 thousand rotations) and are in good condition.
I still want to test the PLA and PETG to print Large pulley

edskate said:
How is the set up then? what speed can you get and what distance?
In the current configuration, the maximum speed of 33 km h, range 20km

Longboard driven so far 150 km (measured Endomondo).
Large pulley (printed with ABS) are in good shape
20160402_190728_zpsxdwkoiw1.jpg

Fixing the motors (printed PLA) survived friction with curbs
20160402_190646_zpsf20gilga.jpg

Pictures of longboard with additional package LiPo (together 10Ah 6S)
20160402_190341_zps1kj4lhnh.jpg

20160402_190435_zps2aazipuw.jpg

20160402_190414_zpslbpp6dzo.jpg

Looks awesome man, if you don't mind,
where did you get your screen that says the battery power level? and the power switches?

edskate said:
Looks awesome man, if you don't mind,
where did you get your screen that says the battery power level? and the power switches?

There is a lot on eBay, for example http://www.ebay.com/itm/Battery-Capacity-Tester-Indicator-12V-24v-48v-car-Lead-acid-batteries-lithium-/131629566408?hash=item1ea5bbc9c8:g:6bMAAOSwAYtWH2go

Idea said:
Thanks for the compliments :)
In a week or two it delivers stl files on http://www.thingiverse.com/ so everyone who has access to the printer 3d will be able to do it.

Long-distance tests have not yet been. Longboard is tested only over short distances at low speeds. I had a knee injury, so tests of measuring temperatures at long distance driving at higher speeds are delayed.

I thought you were putting the files on Thingiverse. What changed your mind to sell them instead?

I will probably buy the stl files. But I am very new to 3d printing, what printer do you own

Must say it does look neat.
I would be interested to know what this would cost to get printed? (For those of us without access to a 3D printer)
I have had crazy quotes for 3D printing in the past. From very reasonable to absolutely ludicrous.

Id be very interested to here how much it would cost to have these printed.. especially the motor mounts!

Dual motor mount - 44USD
Wheel pulley 36t 16mm/12mm or 40t 16mm/12mm - 10USD for 1 piece
+ Shipping costs
The cost of shipping parcels weighing up to 500g
Europe - 5 USD / EURO
North america, 6 USD / EURO
South America, Central Asia - 7 USD / EURO
Australia and Oceania - 9 USD / EURO

Payment by PayPal

What stops the torque of the motors from pulling up on the angle of the mount? I don't see any grub screws and the truck looks round.

he asked how the motormount is connected to the truck?
if the truck was square, the mount can not rotate.
if the truck is round, how is the mount attached?

Yes, fit two motors NTM Prop Drive 50-60 270KV.
You just need to change the spacing of the bolt holes from 25mm to 30mm.

I did already motoholders on Aerodrive Turnigy SK3 - 6354-260kv

In two days will show pictures of the new motoholders

@Idea

Sounds good to me. What software did you use to design it?
Any way you would like to share the source files for the design?

Vanarian said:
Please do yourself a favor, don't use ABS / PLA and use PETG instead! You'll find it to be way more cost effective and just better in any area than both PLA and ABS. eSun PETG is a quality one, that's what I use. Any problems I encountered are due to design only (or printer hazard), not material.

Edit : To stick PETG to your bed, use washable glue and warm bed to 75-80C that's enough. Print at 240C for consistent object.

New motorholder, printed with filament PET-G for new motors Turnigy Aerodrive SK3 6354-260kv
20160521_155121_cr_zpsii9qfbln.jpg

20160521_154956_cr_zps9odvmtsb.jpg

Actually PET-G is very resistant to impact.
[youtube]3tCkOa5FBtw[/youtube]

Back