eLongboard - plastic is fantastic :D

Motor Holder made of black PET-G
MotorHolder_zpsdnjby5jh.png

I hate how you obviously try to make money out of this. This community has so far been based on open source and free distribution of this kind of files. Even if I would like your drawings I would never buy them.

Maxid said:
I hate how you obviously try to make money out of this. This community has so far been based on open source and free distribution of this kind of files. Even if I would like your drawings I would never buy them.
Wow, easy man. This is very offensive and I totally disagree. @Idea did the whole work and he totally deserves to decide himself either to give it out for free or to sell it. And it's not actually that expensive, have you checked? It's $2.60. It's basically nothing. If you like it, this is how you can support the author. I hate that people nowadays beleive that all software should be free and open source and if not, they get angry.

rmrf said:
Wow, easy man. This is very offensive and I totally disagree. @Idea did the whole work and he totally deserves to decide himself either to give it out for free or to sell it. And it's not actually that expensive, have you checked? It's $2.60. It's basically nothing. If you like it, this is how you can support the author. I hate that people nowadays beleive that all software should be free and open source and if not, they get angry.

So many other people also "do the work" and obviously they can decide - but I don't have to agree with it everytime. There is nothing offensive about this.
Just imagine having to pay for the Badwolf mod or the VESC design. These are contributions that helped the community so much because they are freely available and everybody could try them if they wanted to. Also how am I supposed to know if I like the design before buying?
He should just sell the printed parts.

But you probably also think patents on software is a good idea... :wink:

no reason a product designer shouldn't get paid.

If someone wanted to print these parts for high strength, I'd recommend using a Markforged Mark 2. can print nylon parts with continuous carbon fiber, kevlar, and fiberglass reinforcement. more than strong enough!

Maxid said:
Just imagine having to pay for the Badwolf mod or the VESC design.
I can see nothing wrong with that. Probably it would be less popular. In any case Badwolf remote is a contribution, either paid or free. The thing I am trying to tell is that:

1) Someone figures out new design and gives it out for free - You should be happy.
2) Someone figures out new design and sells it - You should _STILL_ be happy. This is better than nothing!

And sure he could just sell the printed parts but selling printed parts + selling the design is better! You have more choise. And if you buy it and you don't like it, I am sure you can get your money back.

Idea said:
Motor Holder made of black PET-G
MotorHolder_zpsdnjby5jh.png

I'm glad that you gave a try to the PETG! I knew you would love it. I didn't know they had released a black version, I'll get some for me!

And guys, considering how many hours one must take to 3D design, print, test, REDESIGN (it NEVER works the first time, NEVER), if you already tried the adventure you'll know that 2.60$ are nothing for your wallet and a huge smile for the creator.

Free and open-source is an act of faith for the community. Sometimes the creator also needs an act of faith back to him. As for VESC for example, know that when you buy one, you systematically pay a donation to Benjamin Vedder. That's how it is, and how it should be. You have a life, a work, bills etc? So do creators! We're in the same boat, as long as everybody remains transparent and honest there should not be fuss around this.

EDIT : Question, which nozzle size and what kind of parameters do you use to get such smooth surfaces? Is it rough result or do you afterwork the parts to smoothen everything?

Idea said:
New pulley for truck Caliber and new color available.
Pulley_Caliber_02_zpsltukwpgi.jpg

20160615_160934_cr_zps9ve4jmpp.jpg

Also experimenting with 3 partial pulley made of Nylon and ABS.
20160615_152111_cr_zpsisedoljz.jpg

20160615_151447_cr_zpsxze0c3uy.jpg

20160615_161330_cr_zpsvlurftyc.jpg

Unfortunately, I now have a knee injury, so I can not do the tests :(

Sorry to hear about your knee - hope it's already on the mend.

I appreciate you sharing these with us. I have a knee-jerk reaction to pinshape and paying for these (specifically within this small community). I understand time developing (conceptually) them and a small $ back. (i've put $ where my mouth is and contributed over $150 now to Vedder).

I can see paying for the new items (battery and motor mount files), but the gear files look like the same Flywheel 36/32/44 teeth HTD5mm ones on thingiverse (or remixed slightly). That to me seems a bit of a grey area.

I'm just starting out w/ 3d printing and would love to be able to easily modify the teeth of my drive wheel. I'd happily kick some $ to someone who knows how to do it, but i'd share the files back to thingiverse...

Thank you, my knee is getting better in a month probably will be OK

All pulleys (and other projects) always draws in 3D from scratch, does not modify other people's projects, that would be unfair, wrong.

I guess you're right, the sale of pulleys files on pinshape does not make sense, So I have to delete them from pinshape, on Thingiverse are so many good projects :)

Idea said:
Thank you, my knee is getting better in a month probably will be OK

All pulleys (and other projects) always draws in 3D from scratch, does not modify other people's projects, that would be unfair, wrong.

I guess you're right, the sale of pulleys files on pinshape does not make sense, So I have to delete them from pinshape, on Thingiverse are so many good projects :)

I appreciate your perspective, and at the end of the day - having a value of your time is needed, so you can make sure it's worth your time/efforts.

No doubt your enclosures are unique and worth the couple bucks (literally a cup of coffee). Thanks for making those available to those of us who can't make them.

A couple unrelated questions - filament. I see you use PETG - for the motor mount. Pro's and Cons vs Nylon? I'm trying to find the ideal material for gears especially and have some Nylon 910 i want to try. Other suggestions from your experience? I've seen the PLA plus, Poly Carb, and Nylons as some of the strongest options - with some challenges due to shrinkage and warping...

Heal up quick!

sl33py said:
A couple unrelated questions - filament. I see you use PETG - for the motor mount. Pro's and Cons vs Nylon? I'm trying to find the ideal material for gears especially and have some Nylon 910 i want to try. Other suggestions from your experience? I've seen the PLA plus, Poly Carb, and Nylons as some of the strongest options - with some challenges due to shrinkage and warping...
Heal up quick!

PLA plus and Polycarb I not yet tested. Nylon 910 is OK to print pulley (alexa recommending Nylon 910)
It appears that Polycarb, however, has the best technical parameters :) but I do not know how to check in practice (I do not know how it is resistant to abrasion).

Hi all

Just wanted to add that I have two of Idea's wheel pulleys that he made for me and I must say that they fit better than all the other pulleys I have used so far.
When I rebuild my single I shall ask him to do me a pulley for that as well. For those of us with no 3D printer and very little 3D experience I am more than willing to pay the very low price he is asking.

WeeChumlee said:
Hi all

Just wanted to add that I have two of Idea's wheel pulleys that he made for me and I must say that they fit better than all the other pulleys I have used so far.
When I rebuild my single I shall ask him to do me a pulley for that as well. For those of us with no 3D printer and very little 3D experience I am more than willing to pay the very low price he is asking.

Thank you for your recommendation :D
Designing pulley for you would be quite a challenge, I do not have the Clones ABEC11 to try on. I am glad that the Idel fit.

Idea said:
sl33py said:
Heal up quick!

PLA plus and Polycarb I not yet tested. Nylon 910 is OK to print pulley (alexa recommending Nylon 910)
It appears that Polycarb, however, has the best technical parameters :) but I do not know how to check in practice (I do not know how it is resistant to abrasion).

I may help a bit here :p

I've worked with Taulman Bridge which is really close to 910, 910 being able to bear more tensile strength and being a bit stiffer but not by huge margin. After that I've tried PETG. Here are my conclusions after tests :

+Nylon offers less grip contact and keeps good integrity, so for applications like pulleys which require a tight spot between low friction and good shape, it is very good. Not too far from solid Teflon as far as friction goes.
+If you need a tiny bit of elasticity for mechanical resistance, this is your favorite choice. It can prove to accomodate both stiffness and softness in a same design, which if determined directly by your 3D model.
-Nylon does not offer linear structure when printed in filament format. It may be torn between layers under heavy abrasion or heavy impact.
-Funny smell occurs under printing and storage is a pain because it attracts wet in the air. You need to cook it to get the former characteristics of the filaments.
-Nylon proves to be expensive. I've kept all my broken or used proto parts to put them into recyclable machine later, so I get my spools back because I've already spent hundreds.
-Limited color choices actually available.

+PETG has bit more friction but is also A LOT stiffer so all that friction goes to nothing. It is hard enough, a bit of smoothening and you get a perfect piece for mechanical purposes.
+You don't meet any shrinkage issues or anything. What you see printing is what you get.
+Structural linearity is impressive ! You are basically getting almost same strength between layers and over the filament itself, so unless you utterly break the part you won't tear it.
+You will bend the part before you success to break it, yet it is VERY stiff so you will have a hard time to bend it.
+No funny smell at all.
+Less expensive.
+More color choice.
-There is basically very little to no elasticity with PETG, so even if it is tough against breaking, once you cross the line it's over.

After going at both parts with hammers, screwdrivers, throwing them etc and stomping them, clamping them, this is what I learnt of it. Personnally I prefer PETG as it offers far more advantages over the Nylon, but it depends on what you want. Nylon can't be replaced in certain uses at it is the best. But for a whole lot of mechanical uses, PETG shines even more. Depends on what you seek!

Back