Em3ev

JTL

10 W
I have heard very good things about this company but the shipping cost and time is insane. I ordered a battery a week ago and as far as I can tell it has not shipped. I am not blaming the company because they said delivery in 5-7 days but they might want to consider a US based distribution center (even if it is someones garage).

Warren said:
Take a deep breathe. I am old enough to remember when it took a week for the post office to get your postcard to a supplier, requesting a catalog. When I ordered my Ping pack almost six years ago, it was stuck in customs, in Alaska as I recall, for over a week.

I may be older than you but this is not the best way to sell products in the USA. It is so easy to ship the product in bulk and distribute from here. If I were younger I would set up a small (garage again) facility and knock them out. Let's face it, this is not high tech, batteries from Panny, decent BMS also purchased elsewhere, $500 spot welder and a learning curve. For the most part they don't even make a case, just shrink wrap.

It requires time, money, personnel and good expectation of ROI (return on investment).
I seriously doubt if any Assian vendor will be setting up new distributorship in the US until they are comfortable with the new administration.

LewTwo said:
It requires time, money, personnel and good expectation of ROI (return on investment).
I seriously doubt if any Assian vendor will be setting up new distributorship in the US until they are comfortable with the new administration.

My background is finance, specifically financing small upstart businesses. This is a very low entry business. Geez, even I could build a battery pack but it is not cost effective for me since I need to purchase a spot welder. Having said that people do it all of the time and figure the cost is absorbed into the next couple of battery packs so it is free. Since you mentioned it....Go Trump.

Paul makes your pack after you order it because there are so many variables...
He didn't get to be one the most respected vendors around here by doing business badly.

You might like to check the website. Most packs require 7 - 10 days before shipping, as they are built to order.

Shipping batteries is expensive wherever you are located. This is not the fault of EM3EV.

Paul and his team are excellent. I wouldn't hesitate to deal with them. If you have any issues or questions, they are always answered in a very comprehensive manner.

A little bit of stoicism is required here.

Patience! The key thing eEre is that you will get an excellent pack, built to last.

But if you need fast, there is Hobby king USA warehouse. they will ship within a week if the battery is in stock. Otherwise backordered batteries take forever.

I ordered a BBSHD kit and triangle battery from them last month. I knew the BBSHD was out of stock, so they kept me informed on the projected stock date, and shipped as soon as it was in stock. Shipping to Korea, so it only took a week or so. The battery is excellent. More than just shrink wrap. Check out the ElectricBike channel on youtube. This guy did a video on Em3ev batteries and just did a comparison on different ebike battieries.

Here are some links to the videos. These batteries are quality, not glued together china batteries
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_leLpKVxuw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZ3NGgx-Sgg

JTL said:
Geez, even I could build a battery pack but it is not cost effective for me since I need to purchase a spot welder. Having said that people do it all of the time and figure the cost is absorbed into the next couple of battery packs so it is free. Since you mentioned it....Go Trump.
You don't need any tools to make a battery pack using rc lipo. Simply plug the packs in series until you get the voltage you want. And they're a heck of a lot cheaper and many times more powerful than packs made with 18650 cells. My 10ah 24s pack (888wh) cost $180, $217 shipped in less than a week, took just a few minutes to assembly without a welder and I got over 15K miles and 4 years out the one I retired that still had ~90% capacity left in it. and it's rated for 200A, 300A burst.

Check out this video. It shows how em3ev batteries are inside. Paul has started putting fused plates for parallel cells.
He is one step ahead in getting latest parts available.
I haven't bought anything from him yet. But will surely buy batteries from him in future.

https://youtu.be/B_leLpKVxuw

Sent from my MI 5 using Tapatalk

999zip999 said:
Some people Need a safe and sane battery. Something you would let your dad or girlfriend use.
IMO, they're safer than 18650's by a long shot. Of course in the hands of an idiot, no battery is safe. Not even a common alkaline battery. Still, there are millions of children using rc lipo. And yes, I'd let my dad us them if he hadn't died in 1960. I use them and I've got 4 great grand children. I even use then in one of my 24V ups systems. And I'll never use SLA in them again as soon as the ones that came with them have to be replaced. Rc lipo gets a bad rap because they are abused so badly in the rc world, and people are just plain stupid. I wouldn't use 18650's for anything other than 18650 flashlights.

Tushar D said:
Check out this video. It shows how em3ev batteries are inside. Paul has started putting fused plates for parallel cells.
I haven't bought anything from him yet. But will surely buy batteries from him in future.

The video is informative but is best watched with the sound on mute. My ears are still bleeding from the screaming. There seems to be a consensus that batteries from em3ev are very good which is why I chose them. I don't fault em3ev and I made my purchase knowing the process, I only wish they were assembled in the USA to cut down the transit time and the high cost of shipping which is about 3x that of Luna Cycle. For those of you who criticize my impatience please know that at my age time is of the essence which is why I no longer purchase green bananas. :p

JTL said:
I don't fault em3ev and I made my purchase knowing the process, I only wish they were assembled in the USA to cut down the transit time and the high cost of shipping which is about 3x that of Luna Cycle. For those of you who criticize my impatience please know that at my age time is of the essence which is why I no longer purchase green bananas. :p
There's a very big difference in build quality. Yeah, I'm old and running out of time too. I was very critical of EM3ev and their sales model, but having seen their updated battery building techniques and the cell separators, I'm eating crow, apologizing, and going back. After more than a half dozen BBSxx motors I'm about to become a MAC user too.

eTrike said:
Seems most has been discussed but yes you will be getting an excellent quality pack. Em3ev markup is much lower than Luna Cycle batteries even factoring the extra shipping (only $30 more?) and the quality difference is night and day. Good choice![/quote

I think the price difference is negligible but the shipping is 3x ($30 vs $90). I am happy that I made that choice, in part due to your positive comments about Em3ev (what does that stand for?). Some day I will get the battery, but not today. In the meantime I am using pedal power.

Tushar D said:

I just watched that video and was laughing... felt like bobcat goldthwait's Eastern European relative did the video or something...

https://youtu.be/O0qAfWWQJ5w

I have a custom em3ev battery with samsung 32e cells. I was thinking in the future I'd build my own - but having seen the video showing what's inside my battery I know I could never match that quality or safety. Very very impressed with the fusing and materials. Paul if you read this - well done, that is certainly a quality design and implementation.

wesnewell said:
999zip999 said:
Some people Need a safe and sane battery. Something you would let your dad or girlfriend use.
IMO, they're safer than 18650's by a long shot. Of course in the hands of an idiot, no battery is safe. Not even a common alkaline battery. Still, there are millions of children using rc lipo. And yes, I'd let my dad us them if he hadn't died in 1960. I use them and I've got 4 great grand children. I even use then in one of my 24V ups systems. And I'll never use SLA in them again as soon as the ones that came with them have to be replaced. Rc lipo gets a bad rap because they are abused so badly in the rc world, and people are just plain stupid. I wouldn't use 18650's for anything other than 18650 flashlights.
Power tool manufactures, electric car manufactures, electric bicycle manufactures, use 18650 batteries. Suspect that they have engineers that are very concerned with safety. Fire - not good!
Lithium Battery Catastrophic Events - Summary Thread

Yeah, that's why you see so many news stories of 18650 batteries and battery packs catching fire and exploding. And that's why they banned the shipment of hover boards with 18650's. You're welcome to use all the 18650 packs you want. I won't use them.

wesnewell said:
Yeah, that's why you see so many news stories of 18650 batteries and battery packs catching fire and exploding. And that's why they banned the shipment of hover boards with 18650's. You're welcome to use all the 18650 packs you want. I won't use them.
I have heard the same thing about LiPo.

Saw a news report about a guy that put a 18650 battery a pocket full of coins and ran out of the store with his pants on fire.
Moral: You can not fix stupid.

wesnewell said:
That's ridiculous. They ae much more stable than Lipo and ANY pack with damaged and carelessly handled cells can be a problem. Pack can be shipped if they are installed on a bike. Facts my friend! The Hoverboards I saw were cheap packs. NOT brand name grade A cells. Those pesky facts again!

i've built my own using same techniques , same cells and same BMS's.
and
I've bought perhaps a dozen triangle and other ultra high performance packs from him.
Paul and I ..... I consider mates and i've been to visit the factory in Shanghai.

His service on the MAC motors is 2nd to nothing (even when we break them due to running them a little hard at ~2300W peaks or simply crashing them and frying the hall sensors due wiring shorts after an impact /short).

Spares cheap and readily available for both MACs and batteries (BMS boards / individual cells to DIY etc).

IMHO - girls in the factory make chumps like us look like rank amateurs when it comes to building packs as they've done thousands and jigs / spotwelders and CNC machined cell holders = top quality result thats near impossible to replicate for DIY.

EM3EV - highly recommended and lastly my packs are surviving exceptionally well (29E triangle pack 14S peak 2200W) = warm but in >18 months has done >400 cycles and retains >95% original capacity = WINNER

Back