Epik Whistler

I hope my hasty opinion of the Logan did not turn people off to an otherwise fine product. The truth of the matter is, I could not give the Logan a fair trial because the frame geometry was just not suited to my body no matter what I did. After having my Whistler fit me perfectly, nothing else feels quite right. Also, it took me a while to get used to the way the Davinci Hub shifts; it is very smooth but I have been using rapid fire shifters so long, it has become unnatural for me to shift by twisting my wrist. I'm sure I would find it perfect once I became used to it. All in all, I would sooner invest in other amenities for the bike than pay the extra for a nuvinci. But that's just me! Bill

GlenT said:
Thanks WSW, when I said 'taller' I was refering to gearing, in that larger wheels will give a higher speed with the same gearing and pedal RPMs. This question comes from one of the other reviews that I read, which implied that on a non-EV bike, the top speed with the N360 hub was about 20 mph (or roughly 32 kph) which was the limiter speed on the Epik bikes. You've pretty much answered my question in that regard. I'm going to assume that with smaller wheels, the Whistler is going to feel more powerful, and will be lighter (by as much as 8 lbs) than the Logan with or without the N360 hub.

quote]
When I received the Logan I immediately installed the cruiser seat from my Whistler and then weighed the 2 bikes side by side. Both of them weighed exactly the same, 55 pounds. My version of the Logan did not have disc brakes. I also made sure the Logan computer was set for a 28 inch wheel so that my speed readings would be accurate. Under throttle only I was only able to reach 31 kph and with hard pedaling I hit 39kph but it required more work than doing it on my Whistler. The low throttle only speeds must have something to do with the nuvinci.

I was going by the weights int he Epik brochure: 48 lbs for the Whistler and 52 lbs for the Logan. Add another 5.5 lbs for the N360 hub (less whatever the 8 speed cassette and derailer weigh) and I figured about 8 lbs difference between 2 stock bikes.

What's your height, Bill?

WASYLBRYTAN said:
I also made sure the Logan computer was set for a 28 inch wheel so that my speed readings would be accurate. Under throttle only I was only able to reach 31 kph and with hard pedaling I hit 39kph but it required more work than doing it on my Whistler. The low throttle only speeds must have something to do with the nuvinci.

Bill, did you change the J-LCD speed limit from 32 to 40kmh? I had the same frustration re the extra effort involved as soon as you exceeded 32kmh, until I read an early post from 'magic carpet' where he mentioned changing the speed controller from 32kmh to 40kmh. I haven't experimented with 'throttle only'.
Here is a link for the J-LCD manual, if you need it - http://bit.ly/121qy17 You can also set the tires for 700c.

GlenT said:
I was going by the weights int he Epik brochure: 48 lbs for the Whistler and 52 lbs for the Logan. Add another 5.5 lbs for the N360 hub (less whatever the 8 speed cassette and derailer weigh) and I figured about 8 lbs difference between 2 stock bikes.

What's your height, Bill?

5' 8". Weights stated in brochures are seldom accurate. I weigh all my bikes on the same scale. I weigh myself holding the bike , then weigh myself only and subtract.

wsw said:
Bill, did you change the J-LCD speed limit from 32 to 40kmh?
Yes, I did. I always find the throttle only speed to be considerably slower and I presume this is because the motor is not very powerful. Achiever offers its bikes in china with 250/350/450 watt motors. I spoke to Melody about it and she says a 450 watt motor might eventually make it to Canada and I will be among the first to try it out. Today, Melody presented me with a really nice jersey with an Epik logo on it and she told me I was considered to be part of the team. I am really proud to be associated with such a fine make of E-bike. With a few upgrades in some parts, I think Epik could compete toe to toe with the finest e-bikes in the world. And I am willing to bet that no other company in the world can match the speed and efficiency of warranty service that I have been getting. Although, LOL, Melody tells me that most of the warranty work she does is on my bike because I put on a year's worth of mileage nearly every month. But my extreme riding has also uncovered several design flaws in the motor which have since been corrected. Bill

WASYLBRYTAN said:
Weights stated in brochures are seldom accurate. I weigh all my bikes on the same scale. I weigh myself holding the bike , then weigh myself only and subtract.
True enough. But your Whistler had a number of customizations when you bought it. With the larger wheels and frame, I would expect a bone stock Logan to weight more than a bone stock Whistler. It was only the relative weight difference between the two models that caught my eye. But as you say, what really counts is the true weight of the bike after customization.

FYI, I found the following under the FAQ section on the Fallbrook website:

The N360 can be used on ebikes with electric front hub motors and mid mount motors of 250 watts or less. Powering the hub with more than 250 watts voids warranty coverage.

Toorbough ULL-Zeveigh said:
WASYLBRYTAN said:
Achiever offers its bikes in china
:wink: :wink: :wink:

personally, i think it's bologna.
The girl in your picture is not the Melody we sre talking about. The Melody we are discussing is the daughter of the man who owns Achiever and is the inventor of the coaxial motor.

GlenT said:
FYI, I found the following under the FAQ section on the Fallbrook website:

The N360 can be used on ebikes with electric front hub motors and mid mount motors of 250 watts or less. Powering the hub with more than 250 watts voids warranty coverage.
That is quite a shocking surprise, I will ask Melody about that next time I see her.

WASYLBRYTAN said:

and japan & italy & the r.o.w.
sure they do.

now do you want to hear about the battery?
You quoted me completely out of context but yes, tell me about the battery.

WASYLBRYTAN said:
WASYLBRYTAN said:

The girl in your picture is not the Melody we sre talking about. The Melody we are discussing is the daughter of the man who owns Achiever and is the inventor of the coaxial motor.

there's nothing wrong with the context.
you make it sound like a canadian company has some control or any say about what gets sold in china.
yet as 'inventor' he can't beg borrow or steal the hi-power version for his own. :pancake:
unless their last name is Bofeili no way is he the inventor.
do you really still believe the 'made in italy' bolgna is not otherwise identical to the 'invented in canada' banff/logan/whatever (save for a couple of customizing part swaps like the nuvinci), wicker basket & all?

and that Melody is simply to highlight that she's just like the bike.
while the name may differ, the world over there's always a Melody in every port ready to help loosen up the purse strings.

people can decide for themselves which is the more likely point of origin.
that they flow out of china for under a grand apiece by the containerload.
or from some hole-in-the-wall storefront of a bikeshop in the hinterlands of B.C.
Bofeili=italien?
maybe, some possible connection there.

oh yeah, as for the battery.
just another plain-jain run-of-the-mill made-in-china-bottle/rack battery.
unless & until there's pix somewhere of the actual cells used inside to substantiate there's more to it than that.

I respect a guy for wanting to inject a note of reality into our discussion but , in this case, he is completely wrong. The Bofeili and Achiever are two entirely different motors. Also, he has obviously not done any research on lithium imide batteries. Epik has a battery expert by the name of Tony who deals with the batteries the same way Melody deals with motors. I learned a lot by speaking to him.

BANFF and BOLOGNA
There are two identical bikes to me.
Down to the details.
I agree with above:
People can decide for themselves what is the real point of origin.
But comparing two pictures tell us a lot.

miro13car said:
BANFF and BOLOGNA
There are two identical bikes to me.
Down to the details.
I agree with above:
People can decide for themselves what is the real point of origin.
But comparing two pictures tell us a lot.

I agree that the original point of origin is China. But was there ever any doubt? Achiever bikes can be branded under thousands of different names. Whoever imports a quantity of them can ask for their own cosmetic branding. The Bofeili E-Bikes do not have the name ACHIEVER stamped on the side of the engine but my EPIK does. That tells me much more than just comparing pictures.

she also goes by the name of Lena

more models to choose from.
AchieverUnit K, 9/F., Macau Square, 43 Avenida Do Infante D., Henrique, Macau
Kowloon, Kowloon City-852, Hong Kong (China)

dates back to sep2010 when they also offered a retro kit option.

Also on the Achiever stand was this retro-fittable crank assist system, the "Achiever PedElec Conversion KitSet":

The system drives the chainring via a second chain, and should fit most diamond frame bikes. As well as the drive unit and crankset, the system includes a 24V, 10 Ah rack mounted battery, brake lever cut-out switches, a speed sensor bottom bracket and a handlebar control console
Achiever BB kitset.jpg

Attachments

• jlcd.doc
    886.5 KB · Views: 78
All these are old news, I have seen them all before while doing my research on Achiever. They all have the name Achiever stamped on the engine which means they are different brands from the same source. Each has a coaxial motor which was invented and patented by one person, the owner of ACHIEVER.

unless & until there's pix somewhere of the actual cells used inside to substantiate there's more to it than that.
According to the Epik brochure, the battery technology is from Leyden Energy whose head office is in California.

http://www.leydenenergy.com/contact

she also goes by the name of Lena

more models to choose from.
AchieverUnit K, 9/F., Macau Square, 43 Avenida Do Infante D., Henrique, Macau
Kowloon, Kowloon City-852, Hong Kong (China)

quote]
I don't know whether you are aware of it, but EPIK is a Canadian subsidiary of ACHIEVER. Melody's father is the owner of Achiever and Melody runs EPIK here in Canada. EPIK therefore is a Canadian company but the ACHIEVER COAXIAL MOTOR is not strictly speaking a Canadian invention. That is the reason why you see bikes all over the world with ACHIEVER motors in them. So nobody is lying about EPIK using their own patented motor. I hope this clears things up.

No need to call somebody a troll because he disagree?
Nobody is a troll at this thread
people do it's own research and disagree
Being critical does not make anybody troll

miro13car said:
All I can say is that I and my wife have met Melody and several other members of the Epik bike team (as did several hundred other people at the recent Mountain Equipment Coop Bike Fest in North Vancouver) and find them to be real people, selling a real product, who are completely credible in their product claims. I've seen no evidence whatsoever that they are trying in any way to conceal the origin of their products or make misleading statements.

miro13car said:

In Internet slang, a troll (/ˈtroʊl/, /ˈtrɒl/) is a person who delights in sowing discord on the Internet by trying to start arguments and upset people.[1]. They may do this by posting deliberately inflammatory,[2] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as a forum, chat room, or blog, with the primary intent of provoking readers into an emotional response[3] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.[

[quote

there's nothing wrong with the context.
you make it sound like a canadian company has some control or any say about what gets sold in china.
yet as 'inventor' he can't beg borrow or steal the hi-power version for his own. :pancake:
unless their last name is Bofeili no way is he the inventor.
do you really still believe the 'made in italy' bolgna is not otherwise identical to the 'invented in canada' banff/logan/whatever (save for a couple of customizing part swaps like the nuvinci), wicker basket & all?

and that Melody is simply to highlight that she's just like the bike.
while the name may differ, the world over there's always a Melody in every port ready to help loosen up the purse strings.

people can decide for themselves which is the more likely point of origin.
that they flow out of china for under a grand apiece by the containerload.
or from some hole-in-the-wall storefront of a bikeshop in the hinterlands of B.C.
Bofeili=italien?
maybe, some possible connection there.

unless & until there's pix somewhere of the actual cells used inside to substantiate there's more to it than that.[/quote]

In Internet slang, a troll (/ˈtroʊl/, /ˈtrɒl/) is a person who delights in sowing discord on the Internet by trying to start arguments and upset people.[1]. They may do this by posting deliberately inflammatory,[2] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as a forum, chat room, or blog, with the primary intent of provoking readers into an emotional response[3] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.

ITS UPTO YOU TO DECIDE FOR YOURSELF WHETHER TROLLS EXIST ON THIS THREAD

Back