Error code 03

C.B.

1 mW
Using a Q100C rear motor and a shark battery with a built-in sinewave controller, I’ve run into a spot of bother lately with one of my two identical bikes.
It runs for 6-10km then stops, flashing error code 03 which appears to have something to do with the hall sensor or something.
If I let it cool down a bit I can start it again and limp home ever so softly, but the error returns with every run after those 6-10km’s.

Owning another, identical bike, I swapped around literally every electrical component but without any luck. It appeared to be the motor that was at fault, so I went ahead and got a replacement.
Problem is, the error has transpired AGAIN after the bike having run well for a month or so with the new motor.
How can this be? Can there be some issue with the controller that wears the motor out somehow, or am I missing something? Every setting and component is the same as my other bike I’ve been riding every day for the past 4 years.

I’m at a loss, as you might well imagine.

Thanks for your response.

Last edited:
Presumably it doesn't happen on the exact same ride with the other bike?

Is the problematic motor warmer than the other at the same point?

If so, perhaps there is a mechanical issue with the bike itself (brakes, axle bearings on the non-motor wheel, etc) that causes a higher load on the motor, and so overheats it, causing a hall snsor problem.

At some point in my territory there was a pedicab controller that cooked the Halls in every motor that was hooked up to it. That was a bummer. Bad, bad speed controller.

Error 03 on a KT controller is a Hall Sensor Error. It happens when the controller cannot detect a Hall signal. I get it when I fix/change a tube/tire and forget to plug in the 9 pin motor cable. Never seen a Hall failure in the motor.

I also have several identical ebike configurations, and when I get a motor not spinning, I put the bikes next to each other and cross connect the motor cables. It's identified a bad KT controller for me. Also a blown speed sensor in a motor,

I also have an ebike tester like this one. It's pretty useful for verifying if Hall sensors are working on a motor. It's also possible to do this with a multimeter and tapping into the sensor wires. Buy the tester.

Back