EV sonic 7 kit car

Mounted one side I had to take the out hubs and brakes off front and rear then cut out holes in panel to side over. The panel is Sikaflexed to the bottom of floor pan the drilled and pop riveted with washer rivets.

Attachments

• Photo 20-04-2015 11 38 55 am.jpg
    Photo 20-04-2015 11 38 55 am.jpg
    328.1 KB · Views: 2,704
That is one very nice looking machine Kiwi,

Ive noticed you said 46 batteries in series and they are 180 amp. Can you enlighten us a little more on the Motor Specs and controller, I think you said regen was pumping 1100amps back into the battery and that just amazes me.

Also on another note, you mentioned your house is off grid and i was wondering what your daily Kw usage was as my mate has just asked me if its viable to do it for his house in the bush and i was just looking at those 1000 amp batteries with 8 in series and 2 in Parrellel for 24V, 2000Amps and roughly 6Kw of Panels.
What sort of panel output have you got aswell if thats ok.
Have you got a thread on your house at all and i can edit this post ?

TotalConfusion said:
That is one very nice looking machine Kiwi,

Thanks Mate :D

Ive noticed you said 46 batteries in series and they are 180 amp. Can you enlighten us a little more on the Motor Specs and controller, I think you said regen was pumping 1100amps back into the battery and that just amazes me.

I bought 46 batteries because originally I thought I could do 2 packs one front and one in the back and even numbers make for easier battery boxes. But didn't in the end a 144 volt system only needs 45 batteries. The motor is a twin AC inline 165 hp at 5000 rpm and 190 ft/lb of torque at 1 rpm. The controllers are Curtis x 2 rated at 500 amps continuous. The Regen I have had around 650 amps back in (but have to be careful with rear wheel lock up) but have drawn 1100 amps out thru both controllers (550 each). They are programmable with a hand held programer.

Also on another note, you mentioned your house is off grid and i was wondering what your daily Kw usage was as my mate has just asked me if its viable to do it for his house in the bush and i was just looking at those 1000 amp batteries with 8 in series and 2 in Parrellel for 24V, 2000Amps and roughly 6Kw of Panels.
What sort of panel output have you got aswell if thats ok.

I don't have a thread for the off grid maybe I should. I put this system together 7 years ago I have lead batteries 3300 AH at 48 volts no other batteries around at the time. EV works sells bigger AH batteries in Lithium up to a 1000 Ah. I think you may have to run a BMS unless your inverter is fully programmable to switch off at a given voltage. And your solar controller needs to do the same.

I have about 7.5 Kw of panels half that set is on a tracker, I have made 35 Kw in a day depends on how much Im using (welding etc) but it only makes what I use. :D

Cheers ooh BTW I'm not a greenie just a realist 8)

Have you got a thread on your house at all and i can edit this post ?

Awesome car! The Sonic 7 has been on my list of wants for a while. Very cool to see someone electrify one.

Next job wiring up lights

have been ordering LEDs to save as much power as possible I want it all for the motor :mrgreen:

Attachments

• Photo 22-04-2015 5 13 52 pm.jpg
    Photo 22-04-2015 5 13 52 pm.jpg
    321.6 KB · Views: 2,612
Wow that is an amazing build. I may have access to some great equipment but you
look like you're doing pretty well with whats at your disposal. Have you got an idea
of what the car has cost so far? Actual or what you tell the wife!
Great job, your commitment to your project is very impressive.

Actually, the MEV Sonic 7 is a pretty affordable kit.
http://exomotive.com/sonic-7/

Of course, I know most of the cost of a kit build is not the actual kit, but it's a good place to start from versus say a Caterham kit that starts at like, $30,000 for the kit alone. Even so, the Sonic looks more modern than the Caterham, without being hyper-stylized like some of the other kits out there.

Big fan of this build.

Hmm?
That page is dated 2011 and they refer to things they plan for 2012.
Also, from the forum link on there..
I have today, taken delivery of the last Sonic 7 chassis produced by RTR, along with wishbones, uprights and m-hoop.
To say I am relieved and excited is an understatement!
dated jan 2015.
Apparently "RTR" (UK) took over manufacture from MEV, but now they have also stopped manufacture.
Sad, but it seems the Sonic7 has been discontinued/replaced with another model.

The kit car industry is a very tough place to do business. Over the years I have done work for quite a few in Melbourne
that have gone broke. Some several times over!

It's not the kitcar business being so tough, it's that it's populated by owners who aren't businessmen, running under capitalized businesses trying to survive on deposits for kits they're not ready to build yet, etc. Then the shell is bought out of bankruptcy by much the same.

Terry at Southam has Sonic 7 and Rockets ideal EVs I think :D

http://www.southam.com.au/

Kit starts about$12,000.00

RTR went tits up

If I won Lotto I would do a GT-40 Roaring Forties but at $80K

Too much to sneak past the wife and justify lol.

So I have been away at work bloody annoying but got a few jobs done today.

installed wind shield.

Installed new Speedo still have to mount sensor
Installed motor bike mirrors which was big PITA :evil: I had to have hands of a 5 year old to get the washers on 5 washers and 3 extra nuts later the car claimed the originals down the side panels will have to get a magnet stick in there. the mirrors feel plastic (cheap at $20) but they seem to work. :D
fitted new LED light bulbs they are cool have there own cooling fan in the back of them.

May sneak the car out on the road when the weather gets better :mrgreen:

Cheers

Back