• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Ever use a Thunder 1220 to discharge/store?

tome

100 mW
I cannot find any information regarding using a Thunder 1220 in regards to discharging or storage charging/discharging a battery. I am trying to discharge a Li NMC pack to 3.5V/cell but in discharge mode the charger only reads 0.81A (even though I have it set to 5.0A). I also tried the storage mode and also changing the max current setting but it always goes to 0.81A. It may be discharging but if so, it is going really really slowly. It has been running for two days and I think I have taken maybe 0.1V off each cell. The manual is pretty poor on technical information related to discharging. It also lacks any information at all about what the display is actually showing me. Does anyone out there have any experience with that charger (in discharge mode) and have any information they are willing to share?
Thanks,
-Tom

According to the specs, the T1220 has a max discharge capacity of 40 W, so depending on the voltage of your pack it's not surprising it is only discharging at <1.0 amp.
I don't know if it has a "regenerative" discharge ability like some other chargers where it will dump a controlled high discharge current into another battery, ..but probably not ?
Why don't you just run the pack down on a bike or some other load like a few light bulbs...much quicker. :wink:

Hillhater said:
According to the specs, the T1220 has a max discharge capacity of 40 W, so depending on the voltage of your pack it's not surprising it is only discharging at <1.0 amp.
I don't know if it has a "regenerative" discharge ability like some other chargers where it will dump a controlled high discharge current into another battery, ..but probably not ?
Why don't you just run the pack down on a bike or some other load like a few light bulbs...much quicker. :wink:

Duh, it has the discharge capacity right on the front! :roll: Thanks for pointing out the obvious. Apparently I will just need to ride the go kart to drain it :)
-Tom

Even the 1 amp discharge has some use. You do get useful IR readings, and they are pretty consistent in charge mode too. It allows you to see bad cells pretty well. Slow for big batts, however. You can walk away as the LVC works well.
otherDoc

Thanks Zip. I do use it as a balance charger every time at 5 amps. I have D/C batteries at 1 amp, but I won't go higher. It does take a long time with any large battery.
otherDoc

Back