Evil methods smokes 9C with electric monster truck (pics+vid

jag said:
methods said:
Mental state?
I question the mental state of people who spend 8 hours of their life doing a job they hate and then go home to watch 5 more hours of commercials on TV for stuff they dont want :mrgreen:
-methods

Add to that 1h+ each way of congested commute in the SUV. 8+2+5 = 15h not counting eating (again lined up at the drive-through?).

Link to study about the health dangers of sitting in the TV sofa for 4+ hours a day:
http://www.thestar.com/entertainment/article/750142--tv-can-cut-your-life-short-says-study?bn=1
http://www.svd.se/nyheter/inrikes/kortare-liv-om-det-levs-framfor-tvn_4072351.svd
http://circ.ahajournals.org/cgi/con...an&searchid=1&FIRSTINDEX=0&resourcetype=HWCIT

Bottom link goes to original article, but at $20 for full pdf download I stuck with the two newsclips above. Claims 46% higher risk of death for group watching 4+ hours of TV compared to control group. Study size 8800 people over 6 years.

Sorry to clog up your thread Methy...........

My wife and I stopped watching TV 16 years ago. We do have a DVD player, but we have no cable, dish, or antenna. Even the DVD player rarely gets used. We build things, play board games, read books, go for family bike rides, and volunteer our time to help others. We also engage in the lost art of "Conversation". :mrgreen:

More people need to get off their butts and get involved with life!

Matt

recumpence said:

Talking about not watching TV is never a clog :wink:

If you want to be cool like your uncle Patrick and your uncle Matt then kill your television :evil:
Go out into the garage and build something with whatever you can find.
Take pictures of it (for us) then put it in your front yard to scare the neighbor kids away. :mrgreen:

-methods

Cat, Dog, Muffler Man, and a basketball holder
That is what I made instead of watching TV.

Basketball_Holder011.jpg

-methods

So far all I have in my yard is a 50 ft. tower, with 6 yagi antennas on it at one time plus 2 wire antennas and 2 cameras, one on the rotator. And solar collectors on the shed to heat the pool and pv panels to run yard lights. Also had a 55 gal. drum stove with 50 ft of copper tubing wrapped around it in series with the solar collectors . I'm wanting to put up a small windmill/ generator, I have a 10 ft. tripod and a bicycle headset fabbed up so the prop can turn to follow the wind. Haven't decided on a motor/ generator to use yet. Need ideas.. All this on a 100 by 110 ft. lot. But it's just not the same as Methods creations, I need to branch out, way outside the box. My stuff is just too boring :roll:

recumpence said:

My wife and I stopped watching TV 16 years ago. We do have a DVD player, but we have no cable, dish, or antenna. Even the DVD player rarely gets used. We build things, play board games, read books, go for family bike rides, and volunteer our time to help others. We also engage in the lost art of "Conversation". :mrgreen:

Matt

When I moved, I wanted the fastest cable internet for my new place. The installer comes, and he tells me that this package includes free basic cable. I told him I didn't want that. He said it was included in the price. I told him I didn't care if it costs EXTRA, I don't want the cable TV signals even being active on the cable inside my place. He thought I was nuts, but I told him no-deal until he puts the little filter on that they use for the basic cable internet that doesn't include TV, so he did, and I'm happy.

Whenever a lady friend is over, and suggests watching TV, I always tell her it sounds like a great idea, she can leave and go home and watch her TV. lol :)

liveforphysics said:
Whenever a lady friend is over, and suggests watching TV, I always tell her it sounds like a great idea, she can leave and go home and watch her TV. lol :)

Beats making her breakfast in the morning ...oh wait...you have no cooking utensils or plates to eat food on do you Luke...kk..i think you got all basis covered mate, wiminez is their for the sexin, if they thinkz they is getting wined -n- dinned and catchin' a movie @ Lukes 'pad' they got some news coming and its all bad :mrgreen:

KiM

liveforphysics said:
See, right up until the end there I thought it was all a clever plan to bed the said lady friends.
"sorry, no TV. I guess we'll have to so something else to entertain ourselves... *wink* " :lol:

recumpence said:
My wife and I stopped watching TV 16 years ago. ....We also engage in the lost art of "Conversation".

I find conversation with the wife is counter-productive to my projects getting done. While TV can be argued to be evil, I think it's a necessary evil to occupy her while I play :lol:

liveforphysics said:
You sir are hilarious!

Hi,

MitchJi said:
Hi,
IMO the best deal is going to be used automotive packs from junk yards a few years after EV's and PHEV's with lithium packs start shipping.

methods said:
I could not agree more - not just the packs - but all the electronics as well.
Sad truth of the matter is (at least in California) that you wont be able to salvage tho
All of those batteries will be forced into a "Waste Stream" as soon as they hit the yard and no one will be allow to sell them legally.

That's ok - I am resourceful :twisted:

-methods
If I hadn't worked as a contract computer programmer on the periphery a of unbelievable CA Computer System Boondoggle (almost 2 billion dollars in costs and Federal penalties, five years in development and they could have had there choice of about 40 other public domain systems for free [some of which are better than what they ended up with]) I might be tempted to think that's so dumb they'll have to change it.

torker said:
So far all I have in my yard is a 50 ft. tower, with 6 yagi antennas on it at one time plus 2 wire antennas and 2 cameras, one on the rotator. And solar collectors on the shed to heat the pool and pv panels to run yard lights. Also had a 55 gal. drum stove with 50 ft of copper tubing wrapped around it in series with the solar collectors . I'm wanting to put up a small windmill/ generator, I have a 10 ft. tripod and a bicycle headset fabbed up so the prop can turn to follow the wind. Haven't decided on a motor/ generator to use yet. Need ideas.. All this on a 100 by 110 ft. lot. But it's just not the same as Methods creations, I need to branch out, way outside the box. My stuff is just too boring :roll:

fellow ham radio nerd props...Kc2bzm. I do believe we all need a muffler robot though.

Hi,

MitchJi said:
Hi,
IMO the best deal is going to be used automotive packs from junk yards a few years after EV's and PHEV's with lithium packs start shipping.

methods said:
I could not agree more - not just the packs - but all the electronics as well.
Sad truth of the matter is (at least in California) that you wont be able to salvage tho
All of those batteries will be forced into a "Waste Stream" as soon as they hit the yard and no one will be allow to sell them legally.

-methods

Motors and maybe controllers also:
http://www.ecogeek.org/component/content/article/3045
…AMP's approach has been to work with the best of what is already available, rather than designing new systems from scratch.…

…The electric motors are the same ones that GM is using in their Tahoe hybrid. But, using two of them to propel a much lighter vehicle means that the vehicle can be 100 percent electrically driven. Again, by using stock parts, AMP makes it that much easier to build an affordable, serviceable electric car.…

recumpence said:
My wife and I stopped watching TV 16 years ago.

Matt

One of the best things that I have read on the net. :D

AussieJester said:
coooeeeee calling the mad Methy ...been a lil quiet in here whats he upto? update Methy UPDAAAAATE please :mrgreen:

KiM

I have dropped all my threads - I am really busy with a project.
No time to play :(

-methods

methods said:
I have dropped all my threads - I am really busy with a project.
No time to play :(

-methods

th_crying.gif

Hope things ease up for you so you can get back to your e-bike shenanigans Methy...

All the best

KiM

KC2BZM hihi Yea ham radio still fascinates me. I made contact with France on vhf / 50 mhz. in 2000 and sent and received video to Illinois from Ks. Talked to Louisiana the other day on six meters. Gonna have to build some more antennas in the yard, give the neighbors something to talk about :lol:

Used to be KA5TWP up until late college...kinda lost track of doing anything with it once I started working; then the BBSs and intarnetz got easily accessible and the biggest reasons I got into it (to talk to people all over the world) kind of became moot for radio; easier to do via the computer (since I don't do realtime communication of any kind very well).

I ended up giving my old Hammarlund and Heathkit radio stuff to a friend, who I think still has most of it.

There are times I wish I'd stuck with it.

methods said:
I have a 30W fan that I ganked out of a computer. I am real busy with a project right now but once I am done I am going to mount the fan on the frame to blow against the side of the motor. Should stay nice and cool....

- methods

Just stumbled across this guys forcing air into a hub motor, I like the fairly direct coupling of air into the inlets.
Thought you might find it interesting.

- Adrian
[youtube]4uf2TcosiMU[/youtube]

That is prety damb cool! I like the quality of his work too!

I had *just* been pondering how I might be able to keep a Fusin geared hubmotor cool if I were to use it on my upcoming cargo bike project. That looks like an excellent way to do it, though I think if I make it it'll have to be plastic (since I know I can work that with fair precision).

Up to just now, seeing that vid, I had been considering a small computer case fan mounted inside the spoke area of the wheel, ducted around to a hole in the side of the motor. Then a few batteries mounted in radially opposed spots on the wheel to the fan and each other, all selected to keep it balanced while spinning the wheel. Probably just use three LiPo cells to run it, with a couple of simple automatic switches. One would turn the fan on once internal temps of the motor get above some setpoint, and another would cut off the fan once batteries reached LVC.

Problem with both of these methods is the grit and stuff in the air near the road surface around here--it's all silicate sand with flint and metallic crap in it. Like riding in a sandblaster on low. :(

With a ducted fan that fully encloses the holes, I can just put a filter on the input side of the fan to screen out the worst grit, but with something that has any gaps the stuff can fall into when it's not having air forced thru it, like the one in the vid, I'd have trouble eventually. Probably have to come up with a lightly-riding gasket of some type for the one on the vid.

adrian_sm said:
Just stumbled across this guys forcing air into a hub motor, I like the fairly direct coupling of air into the inlets.
Thought you might find it interesting.
- Adrian

My favorite part is where he tried to load down the motor with his hands :D

I like the different approach that he took. Gets me thinking again about the power of forced cooling and how much more we can get out of the 9C - I took that motor up to 200C and it did not blink an eye. If we could just keep it down to 160C I think we could get performance that would shame the X5.

-methods

Back