Exercise question for Phantom X owners and others

dfcycler

1 µW
Folks, new to the forum, hope i am posting to the correct location:

My primary objective is to get some exercise once or twice a week on a long ride (20 mile each way) to and back from work. I started off looking for folding bikes that i could take back home on the train for flexibiilty (dark winter evenings, weather concerns, fatigue, etc). The next day i spotted the phantom x on the train platform, tempted to consider it an omen.

I am in decent cardio shape. Do you think the phantom enables you to get a solid workout? I am somewhat concerned it would be an all or nothing affair = no throttle and u are pushing an unnaturally heavy bike, beyond my ability for a longish ride... full throttle and you are pedaling along but not very strenuously. Can you use the variable throttle effectively to set a constant, reasonably strenuous pace (on steady terrain)?

Thanks for your thoughts on the overall exercise aspect... ideally i gauge my progress by how much power is left in the battery when i arrive at my destination, not sure this is practical either

thanks much

Ben

Consider a rear mini geared hub motor kit and a small 48v battery pack if you want the bike to feel more like a bike. Match the bicycle to your size, terrain and budget.

If you are a bicyclist who plans to pedal for exercise you are correct to question the build quality of the bicycle. Know this- the Phantom X is built in the USA from imported parts. It is basically a Chinese bike assembled in the USA. Also, expect a long turnaround time, 4 to 6 months, based from actual customer reviews on CS.

I've come full circle from only wanting a ready made bicycle to building a custom ebike where I hand select all the components down to the freewheel. There is a learning curve but it's fun and you will find the support you need right here on CS.

I don't see how taking the front wheel off and folding it makes it any easier to transport on a train. Easier in a car yes. Same weight, same volume, different shape, but now you can't roll it.

I went from a 500w motor to a 350w mini and really enjoy the smaller motor for a better blend of exercise and assist.

My commute is 14 miles with a lot of vertical. I find I get quite a bit of exercise even with a fairly powerful ebike as long as I don't go too fast for pedaling. I set up my bike for handling the hills and not for high speed. Still it will do a bit less than 30 mph where I can't pedal with 48/14 gearing. But at 20 or so I can pedal along, and helping it on hills gets me plenty of exercise. The throttle has plenty of control so I can choose a speed and pedal, or I can set the Cycle Analyst for a max speed of say 20-25 and then full throttle won't go above pedal speed.

I don't judge my exercise by the battery, but by how I feel.

Good luck in your selection journey. If you wish, more about my bike in the link below.

I have not ridden the phantom x, but I lost 35lbs a few years back, using cruise control on beach paths as my workout. I would set cruise control on a TidalForce for a good speed, pedal hard to get a workout, and I could see the watts decrease, and go negative, on my Cycleanalyst as my pedalling took the load off the motor.

Eventually I would lose concentration, find myself pedalling with less effort, and start pedalling hard. When I rode with a heart rate monitor, I discovered that when my heart rate exceeded the 'fat burning zone', it coincided with my "losing concentration", and when I realized I was slacking off, my heart rate had just dropped below the zone. At commuter speeds, pedalling an ebike comes automatically to me, and this has been the case for most (if not all) riders I have seen.

I also found on long long motor-only test rides, where I would remove the chain, I would come home exhausted just from balancing my body through turns and curves. I'm old though, you my be in better shape.

The E+ bike http://epluselectricbike.com/ also has a unique feature with 9 positive speed settings, so you can choose how much assist it gives you. It also has 9 negative speed settings, where the motor adds regen to slow you down, but that is more workout than I am ready for. Comes with Cruise control too.

Pedelec controllers also lets you tailor your workout, but I have not used them.

-JD

the folding bike aspect is a technical regulation of the rail line - if it doesnt fold, you have to wait for non peak hour trains... i take your point on the removeable front wheel but dealing the the regulations as they stand...

it sounds like with the cycle analyst + cruise control i can make sure i am getting decent exercise

could i use the cycle analyst with a factory made bike such as the phantom?

dfcycler said:
the folding bike aspect is a technical regulation of the rail line - if it doesnt fold, you have to wait for non peak hour trains...

Here is E+'s folder:
http://www.epluselectricbike.com/buy-bikes-online/signature-electric-bikes/tidalforce-bike-m-750

They want a whopping $4500 for the 'limited edition' bike. :shock: Stupid really, since they are selling eBikes with the same drivetrain/battery for $1800, so the frame upgrade is $2,700. I'd buy a used TidalForce M-750 - dead ones have gone for as little as $500 on ebay - move the E+ motor over, and pocket the $2,200.

Good Bikes, $hit Marketing department.

-JD

after more than one question about origins of Prodeco motor dealers pretends they don't see my qestion on this forum.

As I have found out any ebike with any kind of speed governor, speed limiter that is not good for work out exercise.
Because first motivation for exercise is to increase speed .
My Tidal Force has restricted speed for Canadian market, it is not only that motor stops working above 31km/h but also regen kicks in if you try to pedal hard above 31km/h.
So I have little motivation to exercise,pedal hard onmy TF.
It can be de-restricted easly by service company -LEVT.
My E+ is opposite, it is wonderful exercise machine , it is so inviting for pedalling, you fall in some kind of rythem with the this ebike when you pedall faster and faster.
Because E+ is not speed restricted in any way, completely silent/no whine at all/ .
Not pedalled E+ can reach 41-43m/h on flat in power evel 8 /out of 9 levels/ 67kg rider, flat, no wind.
with pedalling I was reaching easly minimum 50km/hour sometimes as high as 54km/h often riding with traffic.
So real exercise on my E+ I got when simply escaping cars before turning from the road into my company parking lot.
Believe everthing is about motivation , my motivation is not to be passed by cars and for this I need speed and speed = exercise.
I know the faster I go the less cars are going to pass me!
When I reach doors of at my work I am short of breath , panting heavly.
With rather shoddy asphalt on bike paths here I cannot reach 50km/h on the paths dispite that they are completely empty at 6;00AM
My E+ is giving me tremendous health benefit.
Not enough exercise? - just go to lower power level.
Power levels on E+ are not just gadgets, they are well spaced out and work wonderfully well.
Another thing is throttle which can contribute a lot to exercise .
If you rode ebikes throttle on cheap ebikes are rather "digital" either "on"or "off" no much between them.
Such garbage throttle can ruin all exercise, for working in unison with hub motor you need well modulated throttle which works linear and this is how itworks on E+.

So go and read about E+ , they have great sells now before Christmass.
Just to get E+ 1000W kit for $2000 is a bargain by itself but for less than $2000 for 1000W E+??? I paid Can$2400 for mine 1000W kit
I am not associated with them in any way, just happy customer.
If you see how the China brand motor looks inside after 5 seasons of riding ..

Back