Factory changes for the Q100C .

Wow, that's a pretty big screw-up on their part, two out of three wrong!
Was to frt. 201 even an H?
I think I would keep pressuring them.
Maybe the threat of a bad review here.
frankly, I've stopped recommending them.
Q100 201's are good sellers, you probably could get close to your money back by reselling them, but what a pain.
A member here just bought some PCB's from Aikema.com. I wonder if they would sell some 260 gears?

I asked them about 260 gears, the answer is no they don't have them separately. Yea front was Q100H. The whole thing reeks unprofessionalism, two different people responding to the same incident, then a long back and forth trying to either convince me I'll be Ok with 201RPM or buy the right motors on top of what they sent with a great 8% discount (even though I told them in the very first message that I already got a 201 and don't need any more).

I understand they're a small mom and pop shop and all that but come on, this ain't so complicated.

When you say "keep pressuring them" what outcome is realistic? I looked it up and I can ship those motors back for around $60-70. Still not exactly pocket change but they will then have to pay for shipping the right stuff to me.

Without any further communication from my end they just offered to send two more motors for free and I only need to pay for shipping. Pretty cool of them!

This has always been one of the main complaints about BMSB, that they get the motor speeds wrong. When ordering motors from them you should always add a note to the order like, "Motor speed 260 RPM is important". I'm sorry to hear about your woes. I hope it gets dorted to your satisfaction.

@ 36 V, maybe 3 mph @ 48 V.
The true motor speed for the 201, depending on who tested it, is around 230 rpm @ 36 V, while the 260 is not even, say between 250 and 260 rpm @ 36 V.
They are much closer on the road than the 260 and the 328 are.
So, yes, not a big difference, but these are mini's and a 3 mph greater top speed feels like a lot.

When you say "keep pressuring them" what outcome is realistic?

This;

Without any further communication from my end they just offered to send two more motors for free and I only need to pay for shipping. Pretty cool of them!

I've been to a few dances with BMS Battery. They hem and they haw and then they surprise you with a generous outcome.

You have plenty of motors, are you going to do a 2WD?

I had my dual 201 on 12S and 34 Amps(combined)out this morning climbing hills steep enough that a 125cc four-stroke enduro would have problems with.
Fun!

Well first I want to provide data for the forum on all the different flavors I'm getting. I'll have one of each:
- old 201 front
- new 201H front
- new 260H front
- 201H freewheel rear
- 201 freehub rear
- 260H freewheel rear
- Cute replacement gear set from ebikelife

201CST is already at the wheel builder's getting built into a robust wheel.

Once I test it out and also see what my buddies want to build I'll just sell whatever is left over.

..as for what's next, there are a few things I'm jonesing for. Super lightweight road race bike. If bonus money are good this year I'll probably get one of those 16lbs cyclocross single speeds, put a 328rpm Cute on it, 14s2p pack of high C cells and just murder my commute to work (and, soon after, the 14s2p pack).

Second, considering making something ridiculous like a 24" wheeled trials or dirt jump bike with 3KW RC mid drive. Seems like that would work good for "watch this" type deals in the pits.

Motorcycle oil filter removing tool works pretty good for unscrewing the cover off these things.. Spare gears I got from elifebike, as predicted, won't work because they are for a bigger driving gear.

I'll measure some flat land speed via cell phone GPS and also I got another amp/volt meter that might hold up to 58V so I should be able to measure the old front wheel drive motor performance, swap the guts out to q100h, measure again and compare.

motomech said:

I had my dual 201 on 12S and 34 Amps(combined)out this morning climbing hills steep enough that a 125cc four-stroke enduro would have problems with.
Fun!

This is what I'm interested in. You didn't mention wheel size.

I would like to get a Xootr Swift folding bike and dual-motor it. Fairly light, stealthy, and able to climb steep pavement up to 10-15%. Cassette type motor for rear, and no disc type for the front. Perhaps:

Q128 328 front V brake 36V motor 128mm dia
Q100C 328 CST rear splined 36V motor 108mm dia

Is there a better setup for this?

run them on 12S 44V about 21 mph (single)

or run them on 18S 66V about 30 mph (single) for offroad use

Alan B said:
motomech said:

Fun!

This is what I'm interested in. You didn't mention wheel size.

I would like to get a Xootr Swift folding bike and dual-motor it. Fairly light, stealthy, and able to climb steep pavement up to 10-15%. Cassette type motor for rear, and no disc type for the front. Perhaps:

Q128 328 front V brake 36V motor 128mm dia
Q100C 328 CST rear splined 36V motor 108mm dia

Is there a better setup for this?

run them on 12S 44V about 21 mph (single)

or run them on 18S 66V about 30 mph (single) for offroad use
24" rims, but big 24 X 2.4 Holly Rollers. I use 25" on the Ebike CA sim.

SAM_1046.JPG

You don't need the Q128, too much motor.

Plugging these in the Ebike CA sim;
20" wheel
12S(46V, .002 Ohm)
2) 328's
2) 15A controllers
Semi-recumbent
And I get 25 mph, plenty fast for that folder,

I ran two 328's in this bike for at least a year, high top speed, 28 mph(2WD on 12S), but sluggesh in the mid-range. When I went to bigger tires, it became more trouble than it was worth to have to use both motors all the time.
With the twin 201 build the second motor is optional. Really, only for crossing streets quickly, top speed and hills. It mashes hills.
I run two batteries because I carry 15 Ah, 10 Ah-rear and 5Ah-frt. and have never tried running two motors off 12S/1P, but I think my Turnigy 20C could handle it.
I'm thinking you would want to use sm. 6-FET, >15A controllers anyhow.
I use two throttles, half-twist beside a thumb for simplicity and using them is second nature now.

Q100(201), 25" wheel
19 to 20 mph-single motor
21 to 22 mph-both.

Q100(260), 26" wheel
23 mph-single
25 mph-both(Sim.)

Q100(328), 25" wheel
23 to 24 mph-single
27 to 28 mph-both

328 in this size wheel(with big rider on MTB) becomes current limited on the top end, so both together "pull" each other along, resulting in extra top speed.

(I tested 13S, 14S and 15S in this configuation and was surprised by relatively sm. speed gains, approx. 1 mph/3.9V). The motors needed more Amps than I was willing to give and overall, it wasn't worth the extra charging hassels.

It would seem that for bigger wheels, the 260 is the happy medium for 2WD, just as it is when run single.
Looking forward to the results of dakh's trial fitting of 260 gears in a CST.

It's kinda weird how the whole story evolves. Realistically if I could get a 12 or 13T freewheel on a regular 100H rear hub and chain line to a single ring crankset lined up I wouldn't care for a CST version :) But here I am, just ordered up a SRAM 9-speed grip shifter and a clutch type 10-speed Deore rear derailleur. So the plan is to have a 9-speed 11-34 mountain cassette with a clutch type mesh and narrow-wide front ring (probably 36, not sure yet). Apparently SRAM pull ratio on 9-speed shifters is very close to Shimano 10-speed so I'm hoping for a working left side grip shifter.

Week later my 2 correct RPM motors are on their way. Hopefully FedEx won't just sit on them for another week like last time. "If I didn't have bad luck I wouldn't have any luck at all" seems to be the description of the whole ordeal.

But, I think BMSB is in the clear. They made a mistake, they tried to save $$ fixing it but in the end I'm about $100 out but with 2 extra motors. Not ideal, but I'm Ok with this. Or, I will be once I get them and they're correct this time :)

Man, that's par for the course.
2 motors for $50 :D
You can sell them for more than that.
You shouldn't be complaining.

motomech said:
Man, that's par for the course.
2 motors for $50 :D
You can sell them for more than that.
You shouldn't be complaining.

Hell yea I be bitchin' -- wasn't looking for free shit, well enough funded as is. A month and a half later I might be within a clear shot of getting what I wanted.

In other news I went off the deep end and am now in the process of acquiring pieces for a high dollar carbon frame CX based single speed. Drop bars, hydro brakes, carbon wheels, eccentric bottom bracket, etc. Base bike should be under 16lbs without the motor. Should be fun. I just hope I can manage the single speed chain line with one of those freewheel deals.

Back