Feedback for a newbie..

c0mpute

100 mW
G'Day,

I have been browsing and googling and researching E-Bikes for some time now and in doing so it gave me ideas on how i would like my ebike to be.. In the end I found one close to the way i would like it. .but not quite the same..

Anyway, I ended up getting a conversion kit.. which was a 1000w motor with a 48v 6Amh Battery and controller.. this is fine and i am still waiting for parts that they sold with the kit and did not have in stock (like hydraulic brake sensors).. though its performance was not really that impressive.. Now from what i have read, Amps can have a lot to do with how good a motor preforms.. I was able to fit a 9 speed gear on it. although it needs a spacer between the hub and the rotor so the disk can align with the calipers.. I am happy, though i am not happy with the kit i have got because the kit has no torque and can barely get up a 5 degree slope.. I am happy with the speed once it gets going on flat ground (though having a banged up leg was one reason behind the ebike idea)

So here is the non babbling part.. lol (some ideas running through my head)
First idea.
I can modify this kit i have to make it go faster and better... here is how i think i could do.. (your advice and feedback would be appreciated on this part)
If i got a 60 or 72 volt battery and connected it to a converter that gives out 48v and lets say 20 to 40Amp and run that to the controller that gives out 48v 20 or 40 Amp, (in theory) would give it a longer life/distance before needing a recharge right? and would the 1000w motor be able to handle the upgrade from 6Amp to 20 or 40Amp? as i hear motors now a days are made specifically for matching controllers and you cant do to much with them in a modifying sense

Also if by adding a 3 speed switch (which i have read a lot about, though found nothing about how to connect or where to connect the switch) I could also change the speed and set it for one on road.. two off road (mid range speed) and three almost to the max speed for off road..

Second idea..
Scrap the first idea and get another kit with 3000w motor and start from scratch.. though question here is how do you program the controller &/or motor and what would i need in order to program speed and a switch as this kit says it is ready for all attachments.. http://www.theebikemotor.com/produc...gclassname=Products&smallclassname=BLDC Motor

Third idea.. go get a 2000w kit with the speed switch already built into the system/controller and not have to worry about it. for more than the price of the 3000w kit..

Thanks for your help and input.. it is really appreciated from a newbie like me that is fascinated by this because it gives me all sorts questions and new ideas.

Cheers.

Welcome to ES****Do this before your first post or now (it's retroactive)*****
Please go to the User Control Panel, select Profile, and then enter your city, state/province, and country into the Location field (country minimum) and save it. Once done, your location will appear in every post so you won't have people asking where you are ever again. This will help people help you. Example: Wylie, TX, USA. or just USA, but country as a minimum, and country is the most important. There are many cities with the same name all over the world. Without knowing what country you are in it's hard to make any recommendations. Thank you.
Post a link to the kit you bought so we can see what it is. What kind of top and cruising speed are you looking for.

wesnewell said:
Welcome to ES****Do this before your first post or now (it's retroactive)*****
Please go to the User Control Panel, select Profile, and then enter your city, state/province, and country into the Location field (country minimum) and save it. Once done, your location will appear in every post so you won't have people asking where you are ever again. This will help people help you. Example: Wylie, TX, USA. or just USA, but country as a minimum, and country is the most important. There are many cities with the same name all over the world. Without knowing what country you are in it's hard to make any recommendations. Thank you.
Post a link to the kit you bought so we can see what it is. What kind of top and cruising speed are you looking for.

My apology. I fixed it and put in the country as well..
This is the kit that i have and its a rear wheel setup http://dillenger.com.au/shop/conversion-kits/1000w-li-ion-6ah-48v/
As for cruising speed. .i can only say just three suitable speeds. one for the road.. lets say a 200 watt/ legal speed second speed say 1000w and the next 2000w that is referring to the link to the 3000w kit..

If the 2000w kit made by hyena industries is anything to go by.. they are pretty good kits from what i have seen in videos and posts that have been made by them on three speed switches... which make that kit very tempting for a few more bucks..

Your motor mostly needs a much stronger battery, of higher voltage, and a 72v controller with 40 amps to be a much more capable bike.

But, the motor will tend to melt if you carry enough battery for a really long ride at full power. They can take 3000w, 72v 40 amps, but a ride longer than 10 miles at full speed needs to be at less than 2000w.

The battery you have will never provide that much power, so along with the controller, you need a new battery. The new controller can have the three speed switch of course.

If you will be trail riding a lot, then a slower winding motor will work better on really steep hills. If you need to climb walls, you might want to do a complete start over with a slower winding motor. You can still have 30 mph speed though, with a 10 turn motor of the same design, if you use 72v. Most likely you have a 7 turn winding motor now.

The controller that comes with the kit is 22A, so with a 48V battery pack you get only ~1000W under full load. And even that is stressing that small battery pack, so it's probably sagging like mad thus reducing that. The battery appears to be LMO with a low C rate of 2-3C. Assuming 3C, which is probably high, the 8ah pack is rated for 24A max. At 2C it's only 16A rated. So it's the controller and battery that limits the power of the bike. You can do a shunt mod on the controller to increase the amp draw by probably 50%, but that will even stress that little battery pack more. So without changing the battery and/or controller, you're pretty much stuck.

c0mpute said:
I can modify this kit i have to make it go faster and better... here is how i think i could do.. (your advice and feedback would be appreciated on this part)
If i got a 60 or 72 volt battery and connected it to a converter that gives out 48v and lets say 20 to 40Amp and run that to the controller that gives out 48v 20 or 40 Amp, (in theory) would give it a longer life/distance before needing a recharge right? and would the 1000w motor be able to handle the upgrade from 6Amp to 20 or 40Amp? as i hear motors now a days are made specifically for matching controllers and you cant do to much with them in a modifying sense

Also if by adding a 3 speed switch (which i have read a lot about, though found nothing about how to connect or where to connect the switch) I could also change the speed and set it for one on road.. two off road (mid range speed) and three almost to the max speed for off road..

Second idea..
Scrap the first idea and get another kit with 3000w motor and start from scratch.. though question here is how do you program the controller &/or motor and what would i need in order to program speed and a switch as this kit says it is ready for all attachments.. http://www.theebikemotor.com/produc...gclassname=Products&smallclassname=BLDC Motor

The biggest problem with your kit is the battery. Its doing about all it can to make that motor work. if you don't abuse the bike, it may last a while, but I's Very Very underpowered for any kind of performance.

As for your idea about converting 60 volts to 48 and... Just no.
You could replace the controller for a 48-72 volt unit, then run the bike with a quality 72 volt batery. Even using a 22 amp controller, you would get 1.5 times more speed and torque.
But that motor should handle running at 2000 watts, and up to 3000 for short stretches. So a 72 volt 40 amp controller would be better.

That 3000W kit you linked is interesting for a few reasons. I suspect it's a scam, but it might be interesting to find out. If it's the real deal, it isn't something you could bolt to an ordinary bike frame. Motors like that get put in custom built frames that have more in common with motorcycles than bicycles.

Thanks for the replies.. Its appreciated..

My main concern then from the feedback is that i should be somewhat concerned about how much power is being drawn from the battery with the 1000w motor. I get this gut feeling that maybe i should be careful with this as the motor draws to much power and putting the battery under stress..

I think i will count my losses with this and invest in a 2000w 72v 20Ah instead..

cheers

Back