FET resource page for MEV/HEV applications.

Arlo1 said:
boostjuice said:
$822 just for the bare FETs....bargain.....Sevcon's don't looks so expensive afterall.
Sevcons are well made but still use lots of T220 fets which no mater what you do they never share current well. Did you price out a programer for a sevcon?

Agreed. TO-220's suck ballz. Sevcon engineers are idiots for using that package type over at least TO-247/TO-263 FETs. I mean its not like the sevcon circuit board designer had to work to the penny pinching economic margins enforced upon mainland china controller engineers when designing a ~US$600>$1250 controller range.
I'm yet to see ANY consumer available BLDC controller that uses >6 TO-247/TO-263 or similarly rated FETs in its design. Something like a 24FET TO-247 based controller would allow reasonable price (through avoidance of uber expensive FET modules) whilst also having adequate current sharing ability and phase current capability up to ~780A.
But alas, for some reason, there's soooooo much choice of quality brushed controllers, but fark all BLDC offerings. Makes me just want to go buy a proven Agni/Alltrax combo and be done with it....oh wait, Agni can't even keep up production supply of the 95R to meet current demand....

Yup Agni's are doing awesome. From what I've seen they are very good. But I look at it like this the RC car guys used to use brushed motors and could do ok. But the nitro was always a little better. Now with brushless they are blowing the nitro guys out of the water! I truly believe brushless is the way to go and I have sat and spent may ways trying to invent something better then a mosfet to end up realizing I re-invented a set of brushes. But with mosfets that can handle
100v &1000amps or 200v & 1600 amps we are really just in need of some lower prices.... All in time.... When I need 600-1000 phase amps for my YSR to be a stupid fast bike then I will order 3 or four mosfets for ~200 each.... Because if you look back I have blown over $300 worth of 4110's in the last year. And one day methods will cut me off on my good price :wink:

What the inside of a VMM-650-01 looks like.

Attachments

• 012.jpg
    012.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 1,515
  • 019_renamed_7440.jpg
    019_renamed_7440.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 1,522
  • 016.jpg
    016.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 1,522
Interesting 'guts'.... I would have expected something alot neater and less 'artistic' considering the price of those things. It looks like they're handmade :lol:

I wonder what size the dies are. It's likely they're just mass produced dies out of a common package type, all wired in parallel of course. Obviously the thermal path is top-notch, and stray inductance minimised considerably. Thanks for posting this. Did you blow this unit up? it looks like you destructively disassembled it :mrgreen:

boostjuice said:
. Thanks for posting this. Did you blow this unit up? it looks like you destructively disassembled it :mrgreen:
No problem. I tried it a year ago on my collossus with a 18fet bord powering it. It was shorted from - post #1 to output post #1 so I figured lets see inside.
This is one of ones Luke got for cheep on ebay.

Found these just now:

http://ixdev.ixys.com/DataSheet/DS100181%28IXFK-FX360N15T2%29.pdf
Seems Pretty Good, only 150v but pretty low Rdson of 4.0mOhms.

Just realized that this FET was on the first page....

But this has not been discussed ealier.
And this one:
http://ixdev.ixys.com/DataSheet/DS100188%28IXFK-FX320N17T2%29.pdf
170v but up in 5.2mOhms

Both have current restricted to 160A by the package

Any thoughts ?

Regards
/Per

I just bought one of these:
http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/IXYS/VMO1200-01F/?qs=t7yjd2JO%2fgTbjN7OGxz3Ng%3d%3d
100V 1200A. 190$
It's only a single switch, so probably not what you guys are looking for in a brushless design, but I think it should work for my brushed controller.

BTW how much were you guys getting those hiperfet modules for on Ebay when they were available?

strantor said:
http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/IXYS/VMO1200-01F/?qs=t7yjd2JO%2fgTbjN7OGxz3Ng%3d%3d
100V 1200A. 190$
It's only a single switch, so probably not what you guys are looking for in a brushless design, but I think it should work for my brushed controller.

BTW how much were you guys getting those hiperfet modules for on Ebay when they were available?
So you need 6 of those to make a $1200 power stage. I think luke found them for ~$50 for a set of 2! So for $150 you could build the power stages on 2 controllers.

Arlo1 said:
strantor said:
100V 1200A. 190$

So you need 6 of those to make a $1200 power stage. I think luke found them for ~$50 for a set of 2! So for $150 you could build the power stages on 2 controllers.
I'm not making a brushless controller. this is for my brushed motor project. AFAIK all I need is the one; any reason I need 6 for a brushed controller? Do you know where I can get them for 50$? I read he was getting the 680A hiperfet modules on ebay but never saw a price. I can't find them on ebay.

strantor said:
I'm not making a brushless controller. this is for my brushed motor project. AFAIK all I need is the one; any reason I need 6 for a brushed controller? Do you know where I can get them for 50$? I read he was getting the 680A hiperfet modules on ebay but never saw a price. I can't find them on ebay.
Sorry the 680amp dual leg modual was what they were getting dirt cheep on ebay. They are discontiniued and we bought all there was!

The IGBT's in the Honda Insight and early Civic drive modules I have seen are rated at 600v and 250 or 300A respectively.
Quite a few of those about in scrap yards and I would say good for anything from 100-300v without much drama, plus you get some big filter caps and various other filters, current sensors etc and a large alloy heatsink free inside the drive module package. Probably around $150 in scrapyards. :D

The Civic module internals are a bit more modern and smaller with 400v rated filter caps the Insights caps are 350v parts as far as I remember.

Back