first-gen Honda Insight w/VW TDI diesel upgrade gets 80 mpg

MitchJi

10 MW
Hi,

http://green.autoblog.com/2009/09/05/insight-1g-first-gen-honda-insight-with-diesel-upgrade-gets-80/
Ever heard of the Insight 1G? Sounds like the name of a first generation of the high-efficiency hybrid, right? It is, but the twist here is that the 1.0-liter, 70 hp gasoline engine has been swapped out in favor of a oil-burning 1.2L PD TDI from Volkswagen, specifically the Lupo 3L. How does the diesel swap make the car run? Excellent, says the Red Light Racing team's website. In fact, they claim they're getting 80 mpg without the hybrid portion of the powertrain in operation (It appears the team is using a manual Insight, which was rated at 53 mpg combined, by the EPA). They expect a further fuel economy boost of around 15 to 20 percent once the bugs in the engine signal translator are worked out.

Speaking of bugs, the conversion hasn't exactly been easy, and the team has set up a list of technical difficulties (and solutions) here. Jake Staub, the team's lead engineer, told AutoblogGreen that, "The main idea was to take existing hardware, hack it, and make a vehicle that could be produced by major manufacturers or individuals that would deliver tremendous fuel economy without a tremendous leap in technology. I believe we succeeded." Do you agree?
[youtube]XgELfyYsxyM[/youtube]

More info here:
http://www.redlightracing.org/
Want to see what the Insight 1G can do with a gallon of diesel? Stop by our fuel log page to see how the Insight 1G does in real world driving. More advanced driving techniques could be used to further improve the mileage of the car. Right now we're driving the car like most people drive their cars. The end result is over 80 mpg. This is without the hybrid portion of the car functioning. After we work out some bugs in our engine signal translator to get the hybrid side working the fuel economy ought to improve 15-20%.

From the fuel log page:
Efficiency log for: Insight 1G - 2000 Honda Insight
* Lifetime Fuel Economy: 82.31
* 90-day Fuel Economy: 82.31
* 3-tank Fuel Economy: 82.73
* EPA Rating (% over): 53 (55.3019%)
* Total fills: 5
* Average cost per gallon: $2.57
* Average cost per fill: $23.73
* Average cost per mile: $0.03
* Total gallons used: 46.25
* Total miles traveled: 3807
* Total cost: $118.86
* Total saved: 25.58 gallons
* Total saved: $65.74
* Average tank distance: 761.4

I am a fan of bio-diesel. In 2007 US refiners had to switch to making ultra-low-sulfur diesel. This allows European and Asian diesel cars to be sold in the US, which require low sulfur levels to run clean enough to meet recent smog standards.

An odd thing about the sulfur in diesel fuel is that it works as a great fuel pump lubricant, and their fuel pumps often work at 18,000-PSI and higher. Because the low-sulfur fuel needs to have a lubricant added so it will work with older engines, the lubricant they added is bio-diesel, usually 5%.

Bio-didesel from soybeans, Jatropha, palm-seed, etc is easy but somewhat expensive, but the US military is funding research into oil-from-algae and other experimantal sources. The military last year released a spec standard for 50% bio-diesel fuel so refiners can produce spec fuel when requested. Hummvees, trucks, helicopters, fighter jets, tanks, and even small ships will be capable of running off the spec fuel.

Roughly 1/3rd of the vehicles sold in Europe are diesel, because fuel is 2 or 3 times as expensive there compared to the US, and any small benefit is magnified. Until diesel cars gain more popularity, most US dealers may not stock them, and perhaps only a diesel enthusiast will place a deposit for an order and wait for his diesel car to arrive.

I have a great respect for Honda's engineering, but I am pleased they contracted with VW for their TDI system, which is quite mature, well-known, and well understood.

Hi SM,

spinningmagnets said:
I have a great respect for Honda's engineering, but I am pleased they contracted with VW for their TDI system, which is quite mature, well-known, and well understood.

The car was built by Red Light Racing:
Excellent, says the Red Light Racing team's website. In fact, they claim they're getting 80 mpg without the hybrid portion of the powertrain in operation
http://www.redlightracing.org/

They are interested in the X-prize:
You’ve reached the online home of the Insight 1G. We’re beginning to document our quest for the Progressive Automotive X-Prize. We’ve got a bold vision for what being green can mean, and we emphasize mean!

Ahh! at first I thought it was a Honda prototype with a licensed VW powerplant. (the US fighter P-51D used a British Rolls-Royce powerplant)

I recall reading about the Lupo (wolf) in Europe. I seem to remember reading it did not meet US crash standards (but not by much, almost passed) It looks like the old VW Rabbit, but unless theres someone in the picture, its hard to tell that its small. It is small and also has extensive light-weight design elements. It got 80-MPG but was not slated for import to the US, even through the grey market. Holland is flat and has $8 fuel, so I imagine they will buy some Lupo's.

Some test driving articles mentioned that with only one full sized adult, the accelleration was weak and slow, but it could attain full highway speeds. It is the perfect engine for adding a hybrid electric-boost, and the older Honda insight is a great platform with two large comfortable seats, and a VERY aerodynamic shape. I cant think of anything I'd do different,...great prototype.

In markets other than North America cars the size of the VW Lupo are sold by most manufacturers in both gas and Diesel versions. Gas versions use about 5l/100km and Diesels are often 3-4l/100km.

Two ways of getting a fuel economic Diesel car in North America are:

Import it yourself. Easy to Canada for cars 15 years or older (ie an early 90's VW TDI), otherwise difficult/virtually impossible to do legally for newer cars.

Swap a Diesel engine from the same brand into a North America sold gas car. One could buy a small gas car, e.g. Toyota Yaris, and buy the Toyota 1.4l Diesel engine and installation parts from a wrecker in Europe, then install it. This is much easier than putting an engine from brand A into a car of brand B as in the VW TDI into Honda Insight conversion. (Though it is less likely to win milage awards it can improve mpg by 25-30%). It is probably not economically sensible unless one does the transplant oneself and don't count ones own work.

Complete swaps easier for rear wheel drive. I am recently enamored with the Cummins 3.9L 4-cyl turbo diesel. Same pats as the 5.9L 6-cyl found in Dodge trucks. I would take the engine + trans and have a hybrid drivehaft made. Its about $120, with a dodge front half and the rear U-joint from the vehicle you are converting. Custom motor-mounts (not hard) and custom trans support cross-member.

Many old Ford Hot-Rods have a Chevy/Chrysler motor this way. Well-known swap method, any hot rod shop could do it. Front-wheel-drive is tricky, I'm not familiar with the technical hurdles.

spinningmagnets said:
Front-wheel-drive is tricky, I'm not familiar with the technical hurdles.

I should have been more precise: I meant take the Diesel engine, all mounts, accessories etc from a wrecked European Diesel Yaris
then put into a North American Yaris. Since all parts come from the same car it should be a bolt-in conversion. No custom engine mounts, no transmission adapter etc needed. Most tricky part is to make sure that whoever takes the engine out of the European wreck gets all the needed Diesel specific parts, and documents how they were hooked up. Still a fair amount of work so doesn't make strict economic sense if counting ones time, but some do it as a hobby.

Back