First MIG Welded Cro-Mo Steel Frame

LI-ghtcycle

10 MW
I've been going to UBI (United Bicycle Institute) for about a year's time (not all at once, just a couple weeks here and there) and I will be finishing the entire range of courses once I take the Titanium TIG Welding class for building bicycle frames, but I wanted to share my first "E-Bike" friendly design.

First off, in the bicycle world, generally lighter is better, so I had to buck the system a bit to do the opposite, made something of a "Dirt Jumper" frame with the geometry of my old favorite Trek Steel MTB frame from the early 90's.

Here is the result:

CroMoTIGFrameP2.jpg

CroMoTIGFrameP1.jpg

CroMoTIGFrameP3.jpg

CroMoTIGFrameP5.jpg

CroMoTIGFrameP6.jpg

Really like these heavy duty Surly Drop-outs! They are disc ready and about 12MM thick! :D

CroMoTIGFrameP13.jpg

I drilled 2 holes on each side for additional "braze on" mounts (water bottle style) which I opted to TIG weld in class as well instead of braze, they came out ok, but a couple of them cratered pretty bad, they will hold ok, but look pretty bad lol!

I will most likely going to just braze the last 4 unless I can get good enough performance out of my neighbor's Harbor Freight TIG welder (it's really hard to get a low end welder to give you the low arc stability needed for welding such thin tube with -out blowing holes) and it looks much nicer with it just silver brazed on, and just as strong as anything in this thin tube that is bicycle tubing will ever be.

CroMoTIGFrame014.jpg

CroMoTIGFrame015.jpg

I have a really strong and stiff 38 mm Down Tube (same diameter as the BB! :twisted: ) that I plan to use to my advantage with a BB drive sometime, and I have plans to build something that will accommodate a small diameter hub motor (Mid-Monster or Hub-Monster from John in CR) with the shorter chain stays that I built also in class (this was an accident where I mixed up a part of the full scale drawing in class, and I got to keep the "mistake" Surly Drop-outs just like the ones used in this frame on short chain stays that will be ideal for a 20" wheel w00t! :lol: ) so I should have a nice set-up for a my next frame!

I really like using 4130 Cro-Mo tubing, it's cheap in the straight gauge (most bicycle tubing is butted, or thinner in he middle than the ends to save weight and allow flex) which I plan to use in most of my future frame builds.

I also was really impressed with the equipment we had in class!

Anvil and Arctos brand frame fixtures (jigs) are amazing!

anvil-jig.jpg

arctos_jig.jpg

http://mechanicalhacks.wordpress.com/2011/03/31/bike-frame-jig-survey/

Everyone in class was able to easily build a frame with a tolerance of +/- 1 mm, (this is pretty amazing considering half of the class had never built a frame much less welded before, most production frames are in the 2 - 3 mm tolerance range, even the big name companies) and these fixtures are really easy to adjust for different sizes, gonna need to wait till I can figure out a game plan to get the cash for some of the better equipment (Miller TIG Welder, and assorted tools, fixture, etc.) but I can really see the difference in how much better the good stuff welds, and is to use!

subscribed

Nice job. Congrats.

Will you also be adding battery/controller storage to the frame? How about a fork with reinforced dropouts for hub motors?

Thanks everyone!

To be honest, I am not 100% new to welding, I have stick welded in the past (farmer weld style lol) and have been taught a bit about gas welding, but TIG is another universe!

Learning to move the filler rod with the torch was the hardest part, and this is about 2 days and 2 weeks worth of practice to get to this point so far, but the real difference is the equipment.

I could never have welded that nice or consistent with a cheap welder, so you know what's on my Christmas list! :mrgreen:

SamTexas said:
Nice job. Congrats.

Will you also be adding battery/controller storage to the frame? How about a fork with reinforced dropouts for hub motors?

To be honest, the Surly Drop-outs are about as massive and strong as anything you would need for 90% of the hub motors out there, and yeah, I plan to build more specific for controller/battery storage in the future, but I added a bunch of "waterbottle" mounts to make it easy to mount batteries especially like Amped's Tube battery, one could easily have 74V (two tube batteries) on this frame just using both sides of the Down Tube's mounts to get pretty decent performance, and they wouldn't look out of place at all IMO, and are plug & play.

I would prefer a higher end BMS model of the same battery allowing for high charging amps, so for now it's still going to be HK Nano-Tech Lipo for me for performance machines (LiFeP04 still works fine for cargo apps where weight isn't a concern) and I plan on trying some of the BB drive motors on this frame, I have been reading up on the ES BB drive project, and waiting to see what the best options are out there. 8)

This is awesomeness!!

Can you tell us what most of the guys who go through the course end up doing with their skills? Is it mostly for hobby purposes?

That frame looks beautiful!

If you're looking for a low cost TIG that will really do some nice welds on thin stuff, I have just the machine for you. I can weld beer cans together with it. ;)
It has a pulse setting that really works perfect once you figure out the right settings for the material and joint type that you're working on. After a few hours, it becomes instinctive and it frees up your foot, allowing you to be much more stable.

I just put my machine up for sale here so if Santa likes you, have him check out this post ;)
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=45384

etard said:
This is awesomeness!!

Can you tell us what most of the guys who go through the course end up doing with their skills? Is it mostly for hobby purposes?

Most of the people come to get certified for the mechanics courses and are already in the bicycle industry, or are looking to get into it.

Maybe 30% of the people I have seen so far are just hobbyists who want to learn more about fixing/building bikes, so they really work well for both.

As far as the frame building welding courses, it's more of a "how to" than a certification, but they give very good real world advice, in a friendly, fun environment!

As Ron Sutphin the President and master frame builder & mechanic of UBI (in the industry since 1978) likes to say "I can take anyone off the sidewalk and put a torch and a rod in their hand and teach them to lay a decent bead".

He really has the experience that allows him to teach all I have seen in the frame building courses regardless of experience so that everyone leaves with a safe and often beautiful frame they built themselves.

You will definitely meet some of the industry leaders at UBI weather as guest instructors, visitors or the regular staff.

The owner of the school teaches at least part of most of the frame building classes.

I really think anyone who wants to learn either professionally or as a hobby will greatly benefit from UBI's courses!

I have learned so many "tricks of the trade" from guys like Mike DeSalvo of DeSalvo Custom Cycles http://www.desalvocycles.com/ that it is well worth the price of the course.

Also of note, there are no "pre-requisites" for taking courses, they will advise you that some will be more beneficial to experienced mechanics (particularly the bicycle mechanic certified courses) but even the ones that have tests at the

end are not required to be taken if you simply want to take the course, only a test is required passed for specific certifications.

mdd0127 said:
That frame looks beautiful!

If you're looking for a low cost TIG that will really do some nice welds on thin stuff, I have just the machine for you. I can weld beer cans together with it. ;)
It has a pulse setting that really works perfect once you figure out the right settings for the material and joint type that you're working on. After a few hours, it becomes instinctive and it frees up your foot, allowing you to be much more stable.

I just put my machine up for sale here so if Santa likes you, have him check out this post ;)
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=45384

That looks like a great welder, unfortunately, I don't have the funds, but thanks for the offer!

We had adjustable pulse on the Maxstar's too, really makes all the difference in the world, they start you off with out it just to get used to the welding process, so you get to appreciate what it does for you in limiting the heat put into the weld.

Very nice work indeed! Those surly dropouts do look da bomb. Learn to weld steel swingarms for FS bikes and ES will love ya, followed by your own FS frame design that will carry about 1.5kwh of battery. I'd be copying some stuff found in the EVG frame myself.

dogman said:
Very nice work indeed! Those surly dropouts do look da bomb. Learn to weld steel swingarms for FS bikes and ES will love ya, followed by your own FS frame design that will carry about 1.5kwh of battery. I'd be copying some stuff found in the EVG frame myself.

Thanks D-Man! I love those Surly D/O's too! It's almost like they had us in mind! :D

Starting with custom extended swing arms is an excellent suggestion!

I would love to be able to give back to ES in a way by offering something along those lines, I will first be modifying existing frames to accept disc and the like, but you make a great point, making extended swing arms for existing frames and custom

frames at a very reasonable price is the goal here, I will be making beefy versions of some of the XC frame designs around in cro-mo steel specifically designed for E-Bike use.

The first thing I need to establish is what motors/battery combinations I want to build the frames around, both mid-drive and hub motor.

That is a good idea too, find very good vintage frames and "fix" em. Disk mounts, surly dropouts, and a headtube replaced with 1 1/8 size with angles adjusted for a long suspension fork, and you got the ideal hardtail ebike frame. The more modern stuff tends to have the tiny triangle. Big triangle is on the cheap frame bike.

Finding the old but excellent quality frames is $20 at my local flea. Just gotta keep passing on the cheap ones is all. But from time to time, really sweet frames appear made from the highest quality tube.

Nice clean welds, and thanks for sharing those pics of frame fixtures... really sweet stuff.

-JD

When it comes time to buy a welding machine, check out HTP. I bought one of their new TIG machines. Post-sale support is WAY better than what you get with the big companies. Great machines, too.

Can you tell us what the pros use for mitering the tubes? I found that was the biggest amount of work in my bike builds by a substantial factor.

liveforphysics said:
Can you tell us what the pros use for mitering the tubes? I found that was the biggest amount of work in my bike builds by a substantial factor.

Using a program that prints out templates that you tape onto the tube is the cheapest way. There are all kinds of machines available that make it easier too. The lower cost ones use a hole saw and drill and just clamp everything in place.

http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php?t=40051

Do you take paypal? :) No but seriously, do you? I'm not sure what gravitates me to the frame. The Cro-Mo, or the dropouts, really, the stuff you search for when looking for a suitable host. Can't wait to see what you make of it!

Back