Fitting freewheels to splined freehub drivers

You may have thought of this already,
If in cutting the spline engagments you guys are still not comfortable with the amount of contact. Another senario would be cutting the freewheel slots deeper & adding keys into the casett body grooves to engage the freewheel. Sort of reversing the male & female engagment araingment. (you would need to open up the threads for clearance) just another point of view. I hope this makes sence.

file faster, file faster!!! :mrgreen:

Nice .....

Will the motor drive be the same or are you going to cut a one way bearing ? ....or ??

VERY nice.

How much filing-time per slot?

(after milling down the lip)

Oh My Gosh! we had an old Myford just like that one in my high school shop class. brings back memories.

nice job creating the splines though.

i've never tried those files. next time i have to do some hardened material i'll have to give them a shot. thanks for the tip.

rick

The splined part on the ENO looks to have enough meat on them to handle likely loads (a guess) but just to get the next question out of the way, can the splined part be removed and then heat-treated, coated, or processed in some way to make whats left there as strong as it can be?...

Or, since you cut through hardened material, is it already as strong as it can be?

"IF" White Industries starts making these, it may be a year before they are available for retail shipping, I think a lot of people will be interested to hear what a price quote for two of these would be...

Miles said:
Ok. Here you go:

OMG!!!! The holy Meca of RC motor driven bikes! You've created it Miles! Congratulations!!!

I've been very busy with other things, but hopefully I will finish one up myself tonight. :)

I talked too a guy who works a CNC water cutting shop. He said his machine will cut 2" thick hardened steel (or titanium) and maintain a 0.3mm precision at the far end of the 2" cut, and 0.1mm precision at 1" thickness. I asked him what it would cost to do some inside splines on some parts, and he said if I supplied the CAD files needed, and if I were going to do a batch of at least 25 of them, that it would be $10/unit. Made me visualize an ENO freewheel wholesale group-buy setup, and dropping off a big batch of them at this water cutting shop.

TylerDurden said:
How much filing-time per slot? (after milling down the lip)
Leaving aside set-up time for the lathe, I spent about 1 1/2 hours from first file cut until it slipped onto the driver. In the end I just used the lathe jig to start the slots off - then I opened up these spaced starter slots freehand. It was quicker this way. I'm sure the lathe technique could be improved to make it much quicker, though.

Better engagment than I imagined. problem solved.

spinningmagnets said:
The splined part on the ENO looks to have enough meat on them to handle likely loads (a guess) but just to get the next question out of the way, can the splined part be removed and then heat-treated, coated, or processed in some way to make whats left there as strong as it can be?...

Or, since you cut through hardened material, is it already as strong as it can be?
I don't think there's anything to be gained from additional treatment.

OMG!!!

8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

well done Miles, pah Mr White !!
ok now i'm getting excited, i need to take deep breaths and work out exactly what i need to ask, nay, beg from you :mrgreen:
ok for starters, if i need 2 of these bad boys side by side at the rear (which i think i do) do we need a spacer between them to stop them rubbing and how do we lock them onto the hub?
I think i want your babies Miles.can you post a pic of just the eno if you get time, wow how exciting is that? i'm looking at extrons now!!!!
Gary - when will the delta/wye boards be ready? LOL :D :D :D :D :D

D

:shock:

D,

No spacer needed. What do mean by "lock them onto the hub"? Stop them moving across?

I still think we should pursue the idea of getting a batch made by WI. After all, you have to buy the freewheel to modify and one that's already splined won't cost any more...............

Hi Miles,

well when you use the normal 8 speed you have a lock ring typ thing at the end to stop the cassette moving sideways?
Also looking at the eno, if you have two side by side but want them to work independantly wot you need to keep them apart slightly?
Its true no doubt that we should persue White, but i cant drive over to his house with loose women and copius amounts of alcohol to smooth the works whereas Miles's house is not that far from me :lol:

D

soooooooooo, how many girls and bottles should i bring for say 1 x 16t and 1 x 22t for my extron? :mrgreen:
** rumages for the three piece road crank again **
oooh dont even need to buy an eno for the extron as i can use the one from my crank, oooh need to go look at the stinky now :)

D

yup, want to now lose my reduction unit and mount a 3220 with direct drive to rear, go three rings up front and have delta/wye switching, sorted. :mrgreen:
hang on a minute, isnt that a 16t you have there Miles? :lol:

Hi,

deecanio said:
soooooooooo, how many girls and bottles should i bring for say 1 x 16t and 1 x 22t for my extron? :mrgreen:

D
Miles said:
I still think we should pursue the idea of getting a batch made by WI. After all, you have to buy the freewheel to modify and one that's already splined won't cost any more...............
If WI makes a batch we need to decide which sprockets. Would a mix of 16T plus a splined version of the Sickbikes style be good?

liveforphysics said:
I talked too a guy who works a CNC water cutting shop. He said his machine will cut 2" thick hardened steel (or titanium) and maintain a 0.3mm precision at the far end of the 2" cut, and 0.1mm precision at 1" thickness. I asked him what it would cost to do some inside splines on some parts, and he said if I supplied the CAD files needed, and if I were going to do a batch of at least 25 of them, that it would be $10/unit. Made me visualize an ENO freewheel wholesale group-buy setup, and dropping off a big batch of them at this water cutting shop.
Batches of 10 might be better than a huge WI order.

liveforphysics said:
I've been very busy with other things, but hopefully I will finish one up myself tonight. :)
When you get it running with the SRAM would you do some incremental torque handling tests? I am pretty sure you are going to eventually blow it up but that might not mean it wouldn't work for Gary (for example).

16t plus a sickbikes would work for me Mitch, but i guess everyone would want something different, if WI did the "splining" couldn't they add whichever tooth count you wanted anyway?
Lukes guy sounds reasonably priced so we should at least see what he sais?
i know this local guy who invented the modded eno ;) hoping to get my done in the uk LMAO!!!

D

nice, better from you than someone like me writing him a "dear jim can you fix for me" type mail :roll:

D

Is there any reason to use the White freewheel ? as opposed to say a Dicta or others ?

http://www.ebikestop.com/dicta_14t_332quot_metric_freewheel-FW1200.php

How will the freewheel or bearing mate up to the large sprocket going to the motor ?

Back