floating brake mount (santa cruz v10)

LiFeCycle

1 W
Hey
I've got a 2002 santa cruz V10, all the details are here:
http://www.santacruzbicycles.com/en-AU/bike/v10/1

"The V10.1 uses a custom rear hub made by Hadley Racing.
The hub width is 140mm, and the Axle size is 15mm. 
The total rear dropout spacing is 160mm 
(140mm Hub + 20mm Floating Brake Mount = 160mm)"

Would the floating brake mount complicate a rear hub conversion for this one? I'd like to install a MXUS 3000 on it. Assume the main thing would be to get some new dropouts made for it that act as a torque arm and hold it in? I think the MXUS would fit in the 140 that the hub is now taking, but would the axle be long enough to cover the 20mm extra required for the floating brake mount?

I didn't install the floating brake, not useful enough for the trouble. This would require not only a long enough axle, but some machining and mods because the brake bracket has a bearing much too small to fit on a motor axle. The bracket is not big enough to fit a big bearing either. So what is required is making a larger floating disc bracket, fit it with a bearing larger than the motor axle, making a bearing sleeve to fit the axle and spacers to place it at a standard distance for the IS caliper mount. Of course, all this is taking precious space off the wiring exit from the axle channel, and something must be done to secure the wire harness from rubbing on the mobile floating disc mount.

If you see it like I do, the old V-10 swingarm that was made to accomodate a floating brake, and also made to install the hub under tension, has enough space to fit a 150mm motor and clear a standard post mount disc bracket. This is making it an ideal bike to build high power, considering that this frame is stiffer than many motorcycles that I have tried over the years.

Cheers MadRhino. Yeah i thought when getting it that i'd be able to fit a big motor in there nice and secure. It hadn't occured to me to replace the floating brake with a post mount brake, that makes sense.

Did you have to weld a bracket for the disc brake onto the swingarm? It doesn't seem to have any existing mounting points.

It is the torque plate that you have to make with Disc (and mud guard) mounts. See, the originals through axle mounts are bolted on the swingarm with 2 chain ring bolts. You need to make your own that will bolt on the swingarm to replace the originals. Make them through axle to tightly match the motor axle, with disc mount for the left and tensioner mount for the right. Adding mud guard mounts saves you some extra hardware when you will need some. When you need to service the wheel, you leave the torque plates with it and just unscrew them off the swingarm.

Back