Freaking awesome tool!

Go on then. Two hours to find them appreciably cheaper.

I bought this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/371220718126?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

less than $12.00 and free shipping but it came from China so it took about 2 weeks to arrive.

I know it doesn't help you though, sorry about that. But, if you value the tool at the price you paid, then I don't think it is a rip off and there will always be something for less money or a little better no matter how hard you try to find the best deal so it is not really a big issue.

Ch00paKabrA said:
I bought this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/371220718126?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

less than $12.00 and free shipping but it came from China so it took about 2 weeks to arrive.

That is quite a bit different from the tool in the OP. The dies look much deeper and sharper in his. Those little JST pins are a bitch to crimp. I've done hundreds if not thousands. I used a tool for prototyping from the manufacturer provided by my contractor which retailed for over $300. It was still a tricky proposition and an associate of mine never could master it. I had to return that tool last year. I still have an occasional need, so I may invest in the one the OP shows. To me, it appears to have a better chance of doing a quality crimp with those little pins.
Ch00paKabaR, have you used your tool on JST with #22 or smaller? How's it work?
Silviasol, how's yours working?
Kiriakos, nevermind.

major said:
Ch00paKabrA said:
I bought this one:

That is quite a bit different from the tool in the OP. The dies look much deeper and sharper in his. Those little JST pins are a bitch to crimp. I've done hundreds if not thousands. I used a tool for prototyping from the manufacturer provided by my contractor which retailed for over $300. It was still a tricky proposition and an associate of mine never could master it. I had to return that tool last year. I still have an occasional need, so I may invest in the one the OP shows. To me, it appears to have a better chance of doing a quality crimp with those little pins.
Ch00paKabaR, have you used your tool on JST with #22 or smaller? How's it work?
Silviasol, how's yours working?
Kiriakos, nevermind.

I've got the cheap one and use it on both JST and Futaba contacts. It is tricky to master and worth practicing to achieve good crimps but it can do a good job.

silviasol said:
Kiriakos GR said:
I think that you were scammed regarding retail price and shipping.

Really, I searched for awhile and this was the cheapest I could find. Can you show me cheaper?
There are always a lot of these die-based crimpers available on eBay,,.

But the determining factor isn't the spiffy ratcheting handle - it's the die - particularly for small connectors.
Here's a comparison of the die on your unit (left) vs cheaper competitors on eBay And Amazon.

dies-1.png

Frankly, I'd spend the extra $5 without hesitation to get the die you did.
I see the crimp range extends down to 18 gauge, which is nice...
Thanks for the post! :D

Yes the ratcheting effect and the die makes all the difference. See the pictures explaining. Without these it would make it frusterating as #$%^! And yes I don't mind paying more as I gave up on waiting the extra time for a half priced chinese stuff that has burnt me one too many times. Pay more and get quality is how I roll now.

22awg wire
IMG_2856.jpg

Push connector down into the slot. This metal makes the connector "stick" and does not slide.
IMG_2858.jpg

The tool locks in place allowing you to insert the wire without moving the connector
IMG_2859.jpg

And makes a perfect crimp!
IMG_2861.jpg

Thanks silviasol, that looks very nice. Perhaps easier than that expensive tool I used to have. Seriously considering buying one. I know I'll be assembling JST plugs again and I have an inventory of the pins and housings.

I use a crimper for Delphi Weather Pack connectors to crimp JST-SM connectors. The #2 die holds the uncrimped JST in place nicely, the jaw movement is straight-line instead of pivoting, and the crimp is perfect. It takes a second crimp to squash the insulation tangs in place, but I sort of like that since insulation thickness is a big variable.

Frankly not as nice as the one called out here, but it's on hand, so.... :D

I bought this on Hobby King and it has made life 100X easier: http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=70467

I no longer make bad connections and it takes seconds to do. I can do a full 7 pin connector in the same time that it took me to do 1 pin without the tool. Pretty good quality on the HK tool. I don't see this thing failing any time soon.

cal3thousand said:
I bought this on Hobby King and it has made life 100X easier: http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=70467

I no longer make bad connections and it takes seconds to do. I can do a full 7 pin connector in the same time that it took me to do 1 pin without the tool. Pretty good quality on the HK tool. I don't see this thing failing any time soon.

I think that is the exact same one. Backorder though :(

Back