Front Direct Drive Hub Doesn't Fit

If a bike has a steel frame, or steel swing arm (rear suspension) you can widen it all you want. You can't do that with aluminum. It will crack if you bend too much. And aluminum dropouts are too soft. I'd advise 2 torque plates with aluminum dropouts. I've never used torque arms/plates in steel dropouts and I've got over 13K miles on my current bike. Personally, I won't buy a bike with aluminum dropouts if I plan on putting a hub motor on it.

Ahh,, 85 much different than a 95 bike. My how the years fly by.

If you want to just do a rear motor, then just pry open the frame on the huffy.

If you want to buy a new bike at walmart, in a lot of ways the best choice for a front hub motor would be a beach cruiser with a 7 speed rear gear.

Very strong frame, good brakes, and some higher gears when you want to go faster. Something like those panama jack bikes is nice, and well under $200.

Because of the suspension front fork, both those bikes you linked are poor choices for a front motor. But good choices for a rear. If you go rear, just use your huffy. An entire rear kit might even be cheaper than a new bike.

What's wrong with a diamond back, giant, specialized. Have you noticed we don't say huffy or schwinn. 20 yr. Old comoly 26in. steel bike or buy what you think is better. Clue.

It is sometimes hard to know the players without a scorecard.

Huffy (Huffy Corporation) was established in 1887. It was originally a company that manufactured sewing machines. They began selling bicycles in 1892. At their peak (circa 1975) manufactured over two million bicycles per year and were the free world's largest bike company. They were however always regarded as an entry level product sold mostly via discount stores like KMart and Wal-Mart. After bankruptcy in 2004 all assets were turned over to its Chinese creditors.

Schwinn (Schwinn Bicycle Company) was established in 1895. Schwinn dominated the American bicycle market in the 1950's and 1960's but their adherence to heavy steel frames and components caused them to lose a share of large of the market in the 1970's. Schwinn started sourcing their bicycles from less expensive and more modern Asian manufacturers. This eventually doomed Schwinn as the Asian Manufactured used Schwinn designs, tools and Technology to build bicycles sold under their own brand names at lower prices. Trek, Specialized, and Cannondale had cut further into Schwinn's market. Schwinn declared bankruptcy in 2001. Schwinn was acquired Pacific Cycle which was acquired by the Canadian owned company Dorel (also owns Iron Horse Bicycles, Bicicletas, Cannondale and Sugo). All current Schwinn bicycles are manufactured entirely in China.

Giant (Giant Manufacturing Co. Ltd) was established in 1972. It was originally a Chinese OEM Bicycle manufacturer. Giant manufactured 'Schwinn" bicycles from 1977 to 1986. They began selling bicycles under their own brand name in 1987. It is currently considered to be the largest manufacturer of Bicycles in the word.

Specialized (Specialized Bicycle Components, Inc.) was established in 1974. They began selling bikes under their own brand name in 1981. They also own the brands names 'Globe' and 'Full Force'. Currently 'Merida Bikes of Taiwan' owns 49% of the company.

Trek (Trek Bicycle Corporation) was established in 1974 and incorporated in 1977 . Originally a high-end custom frame manufacturer in Waterloo, Wisconsin they quickly started selling complete bicycles. Trek also owns Electra Bicycle Company, Gary Fisher Bikes, Diamant Bikes, Villiger Bikes and Bontrager.

Diamondback (Diamondback Bicycles) was established in 1977. 'Derby Cycle Corporation' merged 'Diamondback' and 'Raleigh' in 1999 and sold both brands 2001. Current owners are the Dutch based company The Accell Group which also controls Torker, Redline, IZIP and Koga (among many others).

All of the above have been manufacturing/selling Bicycles for well over 20 years. Most of the bicycles manufactured today come from Vietnam, China or Taiwan (not even Japan can compete in this market). Most of the components come from Vietnam, China, Taiwan or Japan.

We are all products of our environments and experiences that produce our own individual preferences. Sometimes these preferences are justified but sometimes they are not. There are those that prefer the simplicity of front hub motor. Some will note a rear hub can withstand more power. Still others will hold that mid-drives are better because they are more efficient. All the above have valid points but in no way are any of the three the optimum choice for all circumstances (or even a clear majority).

There is nothing inherently wrong with using a 40 year old brazed lug chromoly (chromium-molybdenum steel) road bike frame just as there is nothing inherently wrong with using a modern TIG welded aluminum frame or a composite carbon fiber mountain bike frame as long as one takes the design, strengths, weaknesses and intended use into consideration.

My 30 year old Huffy was made in Celina, Ohio. It has a 22" steel frame that fits me well and feels very sturdy even with my 6'2" 300lb body. I went to Walmart and tried some of their cruiser and comfort bikes for short rides down the isle and they just didn't feel safe. Granted most of the handlebars and seats needed tightening before I could even get on the bike and I imagine every other nut and bolt on the bikes could use a good tightening. The bikes seemed to squeak, groan and flex a little when I sat on them. None of the seats were even remotely comfortable and the fit and finish only looked good from 10' away. Back to Craigslist for me....

I finished up installing the front wheel kit on my wife's Kulana 7-spd Cruiser bike and rode it around the neighborhood a few times. What a blast! I noticed that the rear brake wasn't working properly so I pulled it back into the garage and tried to adjust it. Found the rear wheel was out of round and slightly bent. My wife confessed to letting the grandkids ride it and admitted they crashed it a couple of times. Took the rear wheel down to my local bike shop who looked at it and said they could probably fix it (not perfect but rideable) for $20. Should be ready before the weekend. While at the bike shop I test rode a few of their new bikes. I was REALLY IMPRESSED with the Electra Townie models. They have "Flat Foot Technology" that make riding the bike feel super comfortable and safe. The model I rode was the Original 7D which has an aluminum frame but a steel front fork. The bike shop price was $459 ($499 MSRP).
http://www.electrabike.com/bikes/townie/original-7d?g=mens

Electra even sells an ebike version of the Townie with pedal assist and balloon tires called the Townie GO!. The price is a little ridiculous though at $2,400 MSRP.
http://www.electrabike.com/bikes/townie-go/townie-go?g=mens

I have been searching Craigslist for a used Townie but have only found a few so far that are piced from $300 - $500. They make a 7 speed cruiser with steel frame and fork that is much more reasonable at $329 MSRP but I haven't found any of those new or used.
http://www.electrabike.com/bikes/cruiser/cruiser-7d?g=mens

The only used Electra Cruiser's I've found are the aluminum frame models which are $490 MSRP new and $300+ used. I may just bite the bullet and pay the bike shop $459 + tax for a new Electra Townie Original 7D. Then I could convert it to electric in a manner similar to the Townie GO! but with a more powerful front wheel motor. What do you think?

Well if you are happy with Huffy have you considered just having the LBS fit another fork to it?
(They should have the press, threading dies, etc. for a threaded fork).

Electra tech support told me their 7D is rated for a 300 pound rider plus 50 pounds cargo.
Sixthreezero also rates their bikes for 350 pounds.

Some similar bikes (Firmstrong, Micargi, Critical Cycles) are rated for 200, 220 or 250 pounds.

spinningmagnets said:
also, a feet forward list:
https://www.electricbike.com/12-crank-forward-bikes
... and the linked story about converting the Townie to an E-Bike
http://www.ebikeschool.com/review-the-electra-townie-great-for-comfort-electric-bicycle-conversions/

That Huffy has a 5/16" front axle, with fork time that are probably less than 9mm wide across the slots.

DO NOT TRY TO FILE THEM WIDER. The dropouts on those old Huffys are notoriously thin and soft. You'll only damage them by fitting them with a hub motor.

Some bikes are not suitable for motor conversions. Your Huffy is one of them, because it was never suitable for normal riding either.

I found a used Electra Townie 21 700c that looks like it has never been ridden. A nice family won it in a church raffle held 3 months ago for the benefit of their missionary work (verified via Google). A local bike shop donated the bike and claimed it was new and worth $450. However, the Townie 21 700c was only made in 1997 and 1998 and the serial number on this one indicates it was built in 1998 (according to Electra Support). Could it have sat in a warehouse for the last 17 years because it sure looked new to me, not a scratch on it and everything shined like it was new. I went ahead and purchased it for $200 because it fit me like a glove.
DSCF7103.JPG
View attachment 1
DSCF7105.JPG
When I started shopping for a direct drive e-bike conversion kit, I found that kits for a 700c wheel were quite a bit more expensive than what I paid for the 26" wheel kit ($240). Does anyone know where I can purchase a 48V 1000W direct drive front wheel kit with LCD display in a 700c size for less than $300 delivered? Thanks

Back