• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

FS Frame + Cromotor + Lipo

Shaping up

newbikea.jpg

Battery case (Oatnet's idea)

batterybag.jpg

GCinDC said:
woah. :twisted: cromotor there?

did you add a brace in the triangle?

Yup its a cromotor

Im using Doc torque arms and soldered a flat bar to support the controller inside the frame triangle.
Hoping to get the bike running in 2 or 3 weeks. Im still short of a controler and also need to assemble gary´s lite bms.

That looks badass, love the all matte black and the cromotor.

My mate has a similar setup using the same Falcon EV bag, on a Kona Stinky (very similar frame setup as yours), and he has no probs with it at all. He has been getting slight chafing against the suspension on the bottom but nothing serious. He is really happy with the setup and in my opinion the falcon EV bag in a suspension frame like that is a great commuter option. Best of luck with it.

Philistine said:
That looks badass, love the all matte black and the cromotor.

My mate has a similar setup using the same Falcon EV bag, on a Kona Stinky (very similar frame setup as yours), and he has no probs with it at all. He has been getting slight chafing against the suspension on the bottom but nothing serious. He is really happy with the setup and in my opinion the falcon EV bag in a suspension frame like that is a great commuter option. Best of luck with it.

I love the matte black coz it doesnt drag much attention and want to stay under the radar.
Can you elaborate on the chafing issue? You mean the tire chafing on the frame?
This frame had 135mm space but I gave it a little heat and it has around 155mm now.

I have the Falcon EV bag too, plan to put the 24fet controller inside of it and ll be hoping the controller does not overheat.

GCinDC said:
did you get the cromotor laced? do you know what rim it is? looks bigger than a 20"..

and are those the croforks? i see dual disc adapters...

I found an experienced motorcycle wheel lacer in Sao Paulo, so I gave up lacing the cromotor to a bicycle wheel.
Its a 17" 140 moped rim with michellin moped tires, OD is about 23". Front wheel is going to be 24" bicycle rims with 2.5 or 3.0 tires that ll end up having around 25-25.5" OD.
Yes, the front fork is a DNM modded to use dual rotors by Hal9000/Accountant.

All I meant about the chafing issue Gensem was because my mate was stuffing his EV Falcon bag so full of LIpo and controller (I think he has about 12s3P and his controller and DC/DC converter etc.. all in there), that the bottom of the bag is pressing against his suspension in the triangle, so the bag is chafing a bit). Having said that he has been riding like that for 12 months at least with no issues. I hadn't noticed you were going the Oatnet route with the box on the forks, I imagine that will work well as well. Best of luck. Cheers, Phil.

Philistine said:
All I meant about the chafing issue Gensem was because my mate was stuffing his EV Falcon bag so full of LIpo and controller (I think he has about 12s3P and his controller and DC/DC converter etc.. all in there), that the bottom of the bag is pressing against his suspension in the triangle, so the bag is chafing a bit). Having said that he has been riding like that for 12 months at least with no issues. I hadn't noticed you were going the Oatnet route with the box on the forks, I imagine that will work well as well. Best of luck. Cheers, Phil.

I see (never heard the word chafing before)...
Im copying Oatnet, going to put 8x 6s 8000 in the box, but the support its not fixed in the fork its soldered to the frame.
Im eager to get the bike running. :)

gensem said:
I found an experienced motorcycle wheel lacer in Sao Paulo, so I gave up lacing the cromotor to a bicycle wheel. Its a 17" 1.4 moped rim with michellin moped tires, OD is about 23".
so what spokes did you get?

GCinDC said:
gensem said:
I found an experienced motorcycle wheel lacer in Sao Paulo, so I gave up lacing the cromotor to a bicycle wheel. Its a 17" 1.4 moped rim with michellin moped tires, OD is about 23".
so what spokes did you get?

There were no off the shelf spokes that fitted cromotor with a 17" rim, so I got 9g 110mm black spokes from newsonsportec (ebay).
Front wheel is going to use 12g sapim spokes.

Tire

OK... frame is broken...
I told the guy to go easy on the flame solder because we were just giving the swing arm "a heat". I now have a broken swing arm. grrrr
Hope I can come with a solution coz I dont trust a soldered swing arm. (ll post pic tmr)

gensem said:
OK... frame is broken...
I told the guy to go easy on the flame solder because we were just giving the swing arm "a heat". I now have a broken swing arm. grrrr
Hope I can come with a solution coz I dont trust a soldered swing arm. (ll post pic tmr)

Aluminum frames don't tolerate this procedures in a rule of thumb. With a cromota in the ass, worst...

Maybe build a steel swing arm with myamura, from Santo André (I think, but have the contacts...).

Do you know him?

Damn.. what a dream build! cromotor plus the battery mounting style that people are starting to get hip to..

I'd love to see how many lipos you can fit into that pelican & more info on how you get it to stay stable and not knock around.. i will have to do that on my pike's peak build to help prevent wheelies.

Aluminum frames don't tolerate this procedures in a rule of thumb. With a cromota in the ass, worst...

Maybe build a steel swing arm with myamura, from Santo André (I think, but have the contacts...).

Do you know him?

A regular hot air blower would be enough to make the swing arm 20mm wider... Why do we always have to miss when doing something for the first time?
I ll post a picture of the failure in a couple minutes.
Im not sure what im going to do... I ll try to order another swing arm from the factory. I nerver heard of mr.
Myamura but making a customs swing arm should be pricy.

neptronix said:
Damn.. what a dream build! cromotor plus the battery mounting style that people are starting to get hip to..

I'd love to see how many lipos you can fit into that pelican & more info on how you get it to stay stable and not knock around.. i will have to do that on my pike's peak build to help prevent wheelies.

Pictures of the carnage.... I ll open another thread to ask if i should try to fix it or just trash it. =(

03102011046.jpg

03102011045.jpg

New post link:
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=35415

neptronix said:

I still need to get all the bricks together to get a picture but there should be room for 8x 6s 8000 zippys + Gary´s lite BMS.

gensem said:

You have done something special with that front pack mount, that looks really good. That puts weight in a great spot, and it doesn't even have to be connected to the steering. You have started the next generation of front-mount packs.

Sucks about that crack in the swingarm - but is this an aluminum frame though, like the swingarm? After welding, aluminum needs annealing to be strong again, so when I saw this before I assumed it was CroMo.

-JD

Ok, so I just got the replacement frame...

20120131194945.jpg

This time it was not custom painted, and to be truth I dont even think I ll put the cromotor on it. Having 135mm dropout make it hard to fit the hub motor.

20120131195618.jpg

I ll still use this... probably with the other greyborg motor and the battery ll be in the front too. But this time I ll use DP420 epoxy. Paintjob looks good, picture doesnt do justice.
Looking forward to receive Farfle's swing arm and the stock genesis frame for cromotor fun.

How sexy is that!!! Like it very much, although i'd change that shock look's a bit stiff :p ..... :D

enjoy it!!!..

I said I wouldnt... but damn couldnt resist. The question now is:

Will it hold?
(The battle between DP420, 10kg of lipos and alot of bumps in Sao paulo streets.)

15x7w.jpg

edit: link fixed

You should of added carbon fiber to the mix. Epoxy is great for bonding, but is not structurally strong.

kfong said:
You should of added carbon fiber to the mix. Epoxy is great for bonding, but is not structurally strong.

You mean carbon sheet or carbon fiber cloth?

Back