Geared beach cruiser

I have a newer Schwinn I picked up for 40$ and put the hindered dollar brushed kit off eBay 36v "bent shaft out of the box" bought the 36v 20ah halong battery off Amazon it's lithium and I'm having all kinds of issues the gearset and vertical style dropouts are giving me chain slop and I can't keep the drive chain on the sprocket to save my life... I need a chain guide but I'm tempted to just buy another frame and start over.

You would be vastly better off with a disc brake rear wheel that has a sprocket installed on the rotor mount. If you can't keep the driven sprocket running concentric and laterally true, nothing else you do will make the thing work better.

Also, an idler on the power side of the chain is a bad idea. Put it on the bottom of the chain for best results.

Before you get this thing working halfway decently, you'll discover that a hub motor would have been a great bargain.

I can't keep the drive chain on the sprocket to save my life...

I'll betting that this is a major contributor to the problem:

"bent shaft out of the box"

But maybe you could make it work a little better by sliding the motor forward on the chainstay to take up some chain slack?

Also: please don't take this as nagging, but front brakes could be a worthwhile upgrade. :bigthumb:

I have a newer Schwinn I picked up for 40$ and put the hindered dollar brushed kit off eBay 36v "bent shaft out of the box"
Which specific kit? If you link to each of the items you got, (or provide complete details on what you have) we can see what's in them, which may help us help you.

I'm having all kinds of issues the gearset and vertical style dropouts are giving me chain slop and I can't keep the drive chain on the sprocket to save my life... I need a chain guide but I'm tempted to just buy another frame and start over.

If you can provide pictures of the specific problems and problem areas, we can see what's actually happening, and perhaps provide solutions. The one picture you've shown so far only shows the whole assembled bike; can't see enough detail to even see the chainline or gears, etc.

Also need to know if you're having trouble with the *motor* chainline, or the *pedal* chainline, since you don't say which. ;)

Otherwise we're just guessing.

Remember, only you know what you have and what your problems are, etc.; we only know what you tell us and show us. So the more you tell and show, the more likely the informaiton we need to help you will be in there. ;)

Last edited:
let me get some better pictures
Indeed, I will be waiting for some better pictures.

You might want to look at getting a better kick stand for the bike if your going to carry any cargo up high on the rear rack. I like the style of kickstand that uses two legs but retracts both legs to one side of the bike, be sure its all metal and no cheese. Handlebars are a personal choice, I never liked those style even for an easy cruise bike. Duct taped seat is a nice touch, but I did notice the wrench and socket allen bit attached parallel the seat post.

Last edited:
I spent a few hours lining up and grinding the motor mount, the rag-joint style sprocket is hard to get true, I finished it all up and took it on what ended up being a 22 mile bikeride with only 2 of it being powered, the freewheel on the motor side came apart and I had to pedal to the dispensary. I knew the ragjoint was out of round before I set off, I thought it might pull straight.

10.9mm shaft on this motor keyway, no threads to hold it on. Old gear "which came open and dumped it's guts on the street" was a 16t, now I am looking at the adapter to mount other brands.

Attachments

• IMG_20231203_172438.jpg
    IMG_20231203_172438.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 2
Back