Geared Hub Without one way clutch?

DanGT86

100 kW
I ended up with a hub motor that appears to be a geared hub but has no one way clutch in it. Its engaged in both directions so its capable of regen. I've only dealt with Direct Drive hubs before and didn't know this was a thing. I thought all geared hubs had a one way clutch such that they would freewheel in one direction.

Here is a pic from inside the motor. The hub with the spoke flange has no magnets like I am used to seeing. There is a round part visible through the gaps in the "stator shell?" that rotates way faster than the hub rotates with respect to the stator. This makes me pretty sure its a geared hub.

Are non-freewheeling geared hubs a common thing? I had no idea these existed.

dd geared.jpg

Not common, but they do exist. The "1000w" GMAC by Grin Tech is clutchless, and I have an ancient clutchless 350w Fusin hub (out of business), of more similar size to yours. I'm sure there's others, like yours, that no one on ES has yet seen. :)

Any other pics you can provide, including the outer casing, etc., would be interesting to see. From the one picture so far:

It appears to have a bolt-on axle, like the TongXin series, which would make it possible to use the motor for a number of different applications rather easily.

The hall board can be adjusted to change the timing, to advance or retard it, making it possible to optimize it's operation for forward or reverse operation, etc.

Wow. I think you are right on with the Fusin guess. It's pretty small and looks almost identical to a Fusin labeled motor that was sitting right next to it at the shop. What is the quality of the Fusin motors like? It looks pretty nice internally.

There are a few other thing making this the weirdest hub motor I have ever seen. It has a band brake that squeezes a RH thread-on surface on the non-drive side. Its also an odd width. I believe its 142mm minimum drop-out width. There is no dish to it at all. The rim is exactly centered between the spoke flanges so it wont fit on any frames I have laying around here due to the tire not being remotely close to centered between the dropouts.

I was testing it to help a friend sell it but now I might want to keep it. Seems like it might be useful for some kind of custom jackshaft since it has freewheel threads on both sides. I have also always wanted to convert a geared motor to shaft output and this might make a cheap donor. On the other hand I have enough crap laying around. This hobby is an addiction.

geared.PNG
geared3.jpg
geared 1.PNG
geared 2.jpg

DanGT86 said:
Wow. I think you are right on with the Fusin guess. It's pretty small and looks almost identical to a Fusin labeled motor that was sitting right next to it at the shop.
It looks very like the older ones I have that are int he same power range. It even uses the same brand rim. ;)

What is the quality of the Fusin motors like? It looks pretty nice internally.
They're about typical of geared hubs. All of mine in that power class came to me used, from Dogman; one was overheated kinda on purpose during his original review-testing, and it still works, but clearly has winding insulation damage. ;) I broke the clutch on the other one like it, just starting up from a stop with DayGlo Avenger, which is the closest I've had to a "normal" bike in a very long time. I haven't actually used the clutchless one, because it was just the core, no shell/wheel with it, and I never did get around to swapping it into the shell for the broken-clutch unit, as I started using a 9C DD hub kit at that point; also never got ot testing the ATF cooling in the geared hubs (since I was using WAY more peak power in them than they were meant for, during my frequent stops from a start and hauling heavy cargo and big dogs).

I also have a newer higher-power-level rear geared hub from Fusin (from a review I did) that looks very different from their old stuff, but has a crappy cassette freehub built in whose bearings failed without even using a cassette on it. The motor itself seems alright, but the controller it came with isn't all that great, and it's sensorless so I haven't tried it with another one as I didn't have any toher sensorless controllers at the time, nor did I want to open it up to add hall sensors.

There are a few other thing making this the weirdest hub motor I have ever seen. It has a band brake that squeezes a RH thread-on surface on the non-drive side. Its also an odd width. I believe its 142mm minimum drop-out width. There is no dish to it at all. The rim is exactly centered between the spoke flanges so it wont fit on any frames I have laying around here due to the tire not being remotely close to centered between the dropouts.
That's easy enough to fix, by loosening all the spokes on one side, and tightening htem on the other. It won't be fully centered most likely, but you can at least make it usable. Some bikes that use wheels built this way either have non-centered frames (asymmetrical dropouts) or they use large spacers on one side of the frame (often the brake side, with those drum/band brakes).

At least one of my Fusins has both side covers with threads, though I think they're both front motors, and they're just stubs of threaded area, and the axles are too short to use for rear motors on anything other than singlespeed frames.

Seems like it might be useful for some kind of custom jackshaft since it has freewheel threads on both sides. I have also always wanted to convert a geared motor to shaft output and this might make a cheap donor.
Unfortunately those are incompatible projects. ;) It would certainly be an easier "crossbreak" style conversion than the typical one, simply because the axle bolts on. So you could make a bearing holder that bolts on and then make a new shaft with the sun gear on it with it's inner end fit in that bearing, and it's middle in the side cover bearing, rather than having to machine out the whole core of the motor to put a shaft in there.

On the other hand I have enough crap laying around. This hobby is an addiction.
Yes; I find keeping crap around is very useful when I get an idea for a new project, etc.

For instance, I have a duallie-wheel trailer project that will use up to four ebike wheels, probably all geared hubmotors so they don't drag without power but can help with heavy cargo (it will be able to hold a pallet-sized cargo, or stack of empty pallets, etc). Already have it's predecessor that's unpowered. Have already got two of the motor wheels for it, and if I can fix the broken clutched fusin I'd use those two for the other pair. (prefer four of them so if any one fails, there's no sudden high load on all the others).

I have a new trike build in design stage (which that trailer can be used with as well), which will be a lot cheaper to build because I have a bunch of stuff already laying around for it that cost little to nothing at the time (but would be expensive to buy new). (though I will still have to buy a bunch of other stuff for it that won't be cheap).

I have a bunch of household projects, from solar-water-heater to shelves to music studio to fence-walls to awnings to yard lighting, etc., that all will use and/or are using junk collected over the years, that I couldn't afford to buy new for the purposes.

Etc. :)

Back