Giant NRS/Mac hub/48v Headway now A123 build

1000w said:
I want to get this controller working, so no sale yet Kim. :)

SOK Matt...no hurry... i can wait got the new HV160 today :mrgreen:

i'll be up and running by 9am tomorrow too Matt, so whenever that frock of yours is working lets do the hill
again, i reckon with no belt slip and my slightly higher gearing i'll go over the top at 50 clicks WITH
the wheelchair in tow-->

[youtube]44X6EI5W8kY[/youtube]

Mark_AW after seeing this footage when i posted it in YPedal MaNS thread and I quote-->

"Doesn't look that bad. I go up the hill outside
Monash Uni at 50km/h (and down at 75km/h).

So...according to Marks you should breeze up that hill at 50km/hr Matt!! :roll: :lol: Sok buddy ... ill bring the tow rope so when you frock the frock 1/4 way up my rc motored cruiser can pull you the rest of the way :mrgreen:

Dead set Matt... if that frock does 50km up that hill you can have my cruiser free of charge and ill build a frock powered cruiser... :roll: Safe bet seeing it wont do 50 clicks on the flat :mrgreen:

.... Best of luck getting it sorted Matt, if your free for a ride anytime this week?
pop up even if you don't get me on da phone, i wont be far away likely doing laps on
the bike :mrgreen:

KiM

Hi Matt,

the Mac motor and the BMC motor have very low resistance windings so they can be a bit hard on the controller at low speeds. Mark had an issue at low speeds and it was resolved by adjusting the phase current limiting, but that doesn't sound like what is happening in your situation. It sounds like the controller could be hitting it's max electrical rpm. With the 5:1 gearing and the high pole count motor, the electrical rpm is very high. What model of controller is it?

The Nanjing Lishui controller I use works ok at max speed and fairly new Infineon based controllers should be ok as well. Does it do the same thing when the motor is spun up with no load? What does the current look like when the motor is approaching the speed where the problem occurs and when it stops spinning?

cell_man said:
What model of controller is it?

Its a 12fet infinion from Lyen Cell_Man

I spoke to Matt yesterday on the phone a couple of times and he wasn't any closer to solving the issue.

I thought if there was another member here running the 12fet infineon with a MAC motor they could post their
settings or even upload the .asv file so Matt could simply load it the file/settings straight onto his controller?
Surely we have another member with this setup that can help?

KiM

cell_man said:
Does it do the same thing when the motor is spun up with no load? What does the current look like when the motor is approaching the speed where the problem occurs and when it stops spinning?
Hi Paul, it does the same cutout with no load, wheel of the ground and when it ran backwards when I tried all the hall wire cmbinations.
The cutout will occur at 30 amps if I WOT of the line or at low amps if I take it up slowly.
The problem seems to be speed/rpm related. It just will not go over about 25kmh and the motor runs rough as it approaches this max speed.
I wonder if you are on to something with the max electrical RPM idea?
Cheers,
Matt.P.

1000w said:
I wonder if you are on to something with the max electrical RPM idea?
Cheers,
Matt.P.

Thud has run his big Turnigy over 10 000 rpm with his Lyen 12Fet Infineon Matt...

KiM

I'm surprised that the infineon would have a problem with the Mac. Lyen also sells the Mac motor from what I heard, so he should be able to give some more info but if everything is well they should work fine together. Has the controller been used with another motor to confirm it is all 100%? It's doesn't even sound like a speed limit as it's actually shutting down when the speed is exceeded and not just pegging it to a certain speed. I'd try substituting the Mac with a different controller and see if it spins up to speed with no load. I can't think of something within the motor that would cause this problem and would have thought that if the wiring was wrong it would give some indications of a problem at lower speeds as well and not as you describe. If it was a problem with the wiring I would have thought it would also show up as some unusually high current pull as the issue started to occur. Might be worth re programming the controller with with the standard settings just in case something was changed that is causing a problem.

Actually now that I think of it I had a similar problem with mine. I was testing it with a sensorless controller so no hall issues. It spun up fine until 75% throttle then twisting further made it suddenly drop RPM about 30% and the current shot up.
I swapped throttles incase it was a throttle problem and it did the same thing again, then blew the fets in the controller...

Lyen does have asv files in the Infineon software he sent me but there isn't a MAC version as far as i can tell, this is what i have.

View attachment Capture.JPG

Surely Lyen you must have some suggested settings for a Mac?

KiM

Which 12fet infineon are you using Matt? If its a 'digital' (white PCB) then forgedabotit. If its an analog (yellow PCB) then you should have no problem - mine is silky smooth with MAC with 16 cells.

full-throttle said:
Which 12fet infineon are you using Matt? If its a 'digital' (white PCB) then forgedabotit. If its an analog (yellow PCB) then you should have no problem - mine is silky smooth with MAC with 16 cells.

Not sure Matt has even pulled his apart? Hyena myself and Matt all bought the same units at same time and mine is definitely yellow pcb board.

Is there any chance you could snap shot the settings you have programmed in for us Full Throttle then Matt can replicate them exactly?

KiM

I'm happy to send you the .ASV file.

The shunt on mine was tinkered with, so I set rated current to 23A and the phase current of 60A in order to get 30A out of it. Everything else left as default worked well.

full-throttle said:
I'm happy to send you the .ASV file.

The shunt on mine was tinkered with, so I set rated current to 23A and the phase current of 60A in order to get 30A out of it. Everything else left as default worked well.

That would be fantastic you can send it too me and ill forward it immediately to Matt and give him a call to let him know
I'm sure he's pretty busy and hasn't alot of time to check due to the new born baby and all

aussiejester@iinet.net.au

Thanks mate

KiM

Thankyou mate...riniging Matt now with the info....

KiM

EDIT: Just spoke to Matt he is trying these settings now will here back soon from him on the success of it...
Thanks again for taking the time to get the info Full Throttle.

full-throttle said:
Oh, and as far as wiring goes: standard infineon to standard MAC - he'll need to swap green and yellow on both phase and halls.

Cheers mate....I just rang Matt and relayed this info he is off to try it... He mentioned he had tried with different hall wiring but not the phase wiring IIRC..Shall wait to hear back on the outcome, i would venture to say if all settings replicate yours Full Throttle and the motor is still cutting out then there is something physically wrong with the Infineon?

KiM

EDIT: PROBLEM SOLVED was the wiring soon as swapped it worked faultlessly THANKYOU Full_Throttle ...

full-throttle said:
Oh, and as far as wiring goes: standard infineon to standard MAC - he'll need to swap green and yellow on both phase and halls.
Full-throttle, thanks heaps mate, you are a champion!
Like Kim said, all is fine now after I swapped the green and yellow phase and hall wires.
It's raining right now so I haven't had a test ride, however I lifted the wheel and the motor spun up smoothly and max out a lot faster than before.
Can't wait for a ride.
Cheers,
Matt.P.

Hi Matt,

I have received a private message from Kim asking for the reason why I did not help you after so many posts on this topic. It would be best to send me some kind of acknowledgment like a simply private message or an email or even MSN for help. The reason is because I do not monitor threads as good as the Google search engine and I do not have an automatic script running to query the people who need help but did not dial 911 for it. 911 is the emergency number in the US by the way. :wink:

Anyway, just let me know if you need any assistance next time. :)

Kindly Regards,
Edward Lyen

Lyen said:
Hi Matt,

I have received a private message from Kim asking for the reason why I did not help you after so many posts on this topic.

Oi...Thats not at all what i said!!... i never asked why you hadn't helped at all Lyen..I simply asked if you could possibly take a look. And my second p.m i told you the matter was solved.

AussieJester said:
Re: my P.M to Lyen:-Mr Lyen...Matt has not been able to get his Infineon working properly it cuts out soon as the bike hits 25kph
he has been asking for help for 3 pages in his thread has described the issue but nobody has been able to offer a fix ...you think you could possibly take a look and offer some suggestions? Possible give us the settings that actually work with a MAC motor?

Sounds alot like your trying to cover your own ass here no idea why nobody has blamed you for the issues, we simply asked if you could take a look.. ...

KiM

AussieJester said:
Lyen said:
Hi Matt,

I have received a private message from Kim asking for the reason why I did not help you after so many posts on this topic.

Oi...Thats not at all what i said!!... i never asked why you hadn't helped at all Lyen..I simply asked if you could possibly take a look. And my second p.m i told you the matter was solved.

AussieJester said:
Re: my P.M to Lyen:-Mr Lyen...Matt has not been able to get his Infineon working properly it cuts out soon as the bike hits 25kph
he has been asking for help for 3 pages in his thread has described the issue but nobody has been able to offer a fix ...you think you could possibly take a look and offer some suggestions? Possible give us the settings that actually work with a MAC motor?

Sounds alot like your trying to cover your own ass here no idea why nobody has blamed you for the issues, we simply asked if you could take a look.. ...

KiM
A small misunderstanding here I think.
Thanks everyone for the valuable help and ideas.
Cheers,
Matt.

AussieJester said:
Lyen said:
Hi Matt,

AussieJester said:

KiM

Sorry Kim,

I apologize for the misunderstanding. Please forgive me. :oops:

Regards,
Lyen

bahahahaha look at you nannas with your knickers all in knots,

kim were you throwing eggs at the PM today....i know it was you :lol: .

Matt......there better be some bushripping videos soon, well as much as the lil mac can offer anyway. The bike looks very i dunno how you put it....finished off, definitly not a ducktape demon thats for sure.

Rodger

If anybody can point me in the direction to explain what happened to cause the problem and how it was solved by swapping both the hall and phase wires it would be greatly appreciated. I can see how the phase wires might not be in sync with the hall signals and you might need to swap either hall or phase but I can't understand how swapping both of them resolved the issue. The Mac and the Bafang motors both use the same combination of hall and phase connections so I thought it was a fairly common arrangement. Sorry Matt, I really should have known this and I really must make an effort to stock a suitable controller in the future.

rodgah said:
kim were you throwing eggs at the PM today....i know it was you :lol: .

HAHAA nagh man wasn't me if it was i wouldn't of missed with the egg :lol: .... Is it just me? or
does Julia Gillard look alot Like Lois Griffin from The family Guy ?

View attachment Lois_Griffin_&_Julia _Gillard.jpg

First Rudd looked like Mr Sheen now this :shock: :mrgreen:

Still no rides on the bike yet i'm presuming Matt? has been pissing down up here allll day...

I'm heading out to Take off and Land tomorrow morning Matt, Toby finally responded and said he has
a data cable in stock, hope whoever takes over the shop runs it better :-S

KiM

Back