GigaESC - High voltage ESC controller - VESC compatible (GaN mosfets)

kaminaris

10 µW
Hello,

For the past couple months I have been developing high voltage (200V components - up to 40s) vesc that is primarily focused on electric unicycles.
Which basically means it has built in IMU and can handle stock EUC batteries. But can be used with ebikes, e motorcycles, onewheels etc.

Repository is here: GitHub - kaminaris/GigaESC
With all the schematics, pcbs, code (excluding hw config which is still not final)

Current version 3

3 pairs of EPC2304 (7$ per mosfet) (theoretical limit 200V 300A)
Alternative cheaper board with 2 pairs of IPB072N15N3G (2$ per mosfet) (theoretical limit 150V 200A)
Power supply based on TL494 with some impressive results
Modular design, you can chose different mosfet board for example, or different power supply or even design your own mosfet board

Whole assembly:

IkwOyC4.png

XvPCr0r.png

YRdEoad.png

Logic board gallery: Power supply gallery: EPC gallery: IPB072N15 gallery:
Power supply scope results, light load and 2A load respectively:
OLD INFO:

Currently at version 2 which uses dual EPC2304 (theoretical limit 200V 200A)

Uses 4 MCUs, 2x attiny that works as comparators, 1x stm as brain, and esp32 as vesc express

Design goals:
1. Able to work with 20-40S batteries, power supply can handle 200V, shuts off at <= 32V
2. Fit total size of 160x75x40mm (WxLxH) - sandwiched PCBs
3. VESC compatible with plenty of external connectivity
4. Built in bluetooth connectivity (it has vesc express embedded)
5. Able to assemble at JLCpcb
6. Able to work with external aux power supply (for lights)

Prototype works
0su7zR3.png

1694323708554.jpg

Video of it working:

Some pics of scoped phase outputs

image.png

image.png

Hit me up on discord if you wish to contribute, any tips welcome. I do intend to rework pcb-pcb connectors because smd goldpins kinda sucks so there will be version 3.0

Last edited:
Hello,

For the past couple months I have been developing high voltage (200V components - up to 40s) vesc that is primarily focused on electric unicycles.
Which basically means it has built in IMU and can handle stock EUC batteries. But can be used with ebikes, e motorcycles, onewheels etc.

Repository is here: GitHub - kaminaris/GigaESC
With all the schematics, pcbs, code (excluding hw config which is still not final)

Currently at version 2 which uses dual EPC2304 (theoretical limit 200V 200A)

Uses 4 MCUs, 2x attiny that works as comparators, 1x stm as brain, and esp32 as vesc express

Design goals:
1. Able to work with 20-40S batteries, power supply can handle 200V, shuts off at <= 32V
2. Fit total size of 160x75x40mm (WxLxH) - sandwiched PCBs
3. VESC compatible with plenty of external connectivity
4. Built in bluetooth connectivity (it has vesc express embedded)
5. Able to assemble at JLCpcb
6. Able to work with external aux power supply (for lights)

Prototype works
0su7zR3.png

1694323708554.jpg

Video of it working:

Some pics of scoped phase outputs

image.png

image.png

Hit me up on discord if you wish to contribute, any tips welcome. I do intend to rework pcb-pcb connectors because smd goldpins kinda sucks so there will be version 3.0

I ordered one up (including assembly). I've been looking through the majority of hardware vesc solutions and this beauty seems to have more thought put in then the rest. I was tempted to make some changes but if I end up building out one of the pcbs ill keep you posted with any failures/successes. Thanks 🙏

I ordered one up (including assembly). I've been looking through the majority of hardware vesc solutions and this beauty seems to have more thought put in then the rest. I was tempted to make some changes but if I end up building out one of the pcbs ill keep you posted with any failures/successes. Thanks 🙏
I really hope you did take a look at dimensions/mounting because it was designed for specific enclosures and while it is possible to make it work manually there are many many permutation of hardware, i wish you asked me before ordering
1699776113805.png

I really hope you did take a look at dimensions/mounting because it was designed for specific enclosures and while it is possible to make it work manually there are many many permutation of hardware, i wish you asked me before ordering
View attachment 342797
I wish I asked before ordering too. :). I've only ordered the control board so far. I noticed some dimension adjustments will be needed to for mounting boards together and hit pause.

Here's a pic of the assembled sample board.
When I looked up the enclose referenced in "whole-dev-kit" I received quite a few options. Any other details?
Thanks again for your time and work.

1700885505701.png

Attachments

• 1700885379495.png
    1700885379495.png
    93.6 KB · Views: 9
I wish I asked before ordering too. :). I've only ordered the control board so far. I noticed some dimension adjustments will be needed to for mounting boards together and hit pause.

Here's a pic of the assembled sample board.
When I looked up the enclose referenced in "whole-dev-kit" I received quite a few options. Any other details?
Thanks again for your time and work.
Well, a blessing in disguise, just so you know, that control board should be still fully functional because not much has changed in control board. Besides mounting points and component placement.

At some point i realized that friction fit of 6 goldpins aren't going to be enough keep things under control when experiencing a lot of vibrations.

Things that you marked on pcb are leds and it literally doesnt matter what led you put there. chose whatever is cheaper or what color do you like

As for mosfet board that one you attached is fully functional too. But you are probably not going to get that big ACS current sensor from jlc, something i did change too because it was annoyingly big and hard to buy. so i ended up buying THT version and bending pins myself.

Long story short, you are in luck and you have a version that should fully work.

If you plan on ordering any other board please contact me on

Unofficial VESC Discord server

Last edited:
Welp, I guess ill go ahead and order the gold pin variant and figure out some compression solution. Ill follow suite regarding the current sensor. Im looking at the LT8138 Cap board and the dc/dc converter is out of stock. I'll work it out. Appreciate your help.

Welp, I guess ill go ahead and order the gold pin variant and figure out some compression solution. Ill follow suite regarding the current sensor. Im looking at the LT8138 Cap board and the dc/dc converter is out of stock. I'll work it out. Appreciate your help.
the solution is to use glue.

LT8316 has one error, grounds have to be connected. Also needs transformer, non isolated version does not work.

the solution is to use glue.

LT8316 has one error, grounds have to be connected. Also needs transformer, non isolated version does not work.

Do you have any recommendations on which variant to go with? Without any details on the actual purpose.. My original plan is shot but I can think of a zillion fun projects this is perfect for.

Tough to make useful recommendations without knowing what job it has to do. :/

Have you ever read this?
;)

Do you have any recommendations on which variant to go with? Without any details on the actual purpose.. My original plan is shot but I can think of a zillion fun projects this is perfect for.
TL494 experimental one, just pushed to github

So far it looks promising, one catch, it does not fit v2 mounting scheme

Again, recommend going to discord because: 1. you will get real time help, 2. you will see real time updates
Your situation is kinda unique so we would be spamming thread back and forth.

TL494 experimental one, just pushed to github

So far it looks promising, one catch, it does not fit v2 mounting scheme

Again, recommend going to discord because: 1. you will get real time help, 2. you will see real time updates
Tough to make useful recommendations without knowing what job it has to do. :/

Have you ever read this?
;)
Completely understand but asked anyway. ;)
Your situation is kinda unique so we would be spamming thread back and forth.

Back