BESC - beefed up VESC motor controller for high power ebikes

galp said:
[youtube]MQYNLKpVmGU[/youtube]

This is truly awesome. You're going uphill and over terrain like I ride my downhill bike downhill.

I'm building my own ESC because... well, I want to, but yours is the one to beat. Well, match, approach, I'm not convinced it can be beat.

You should seriously consider selling these whole, assembled. There's nothing I've seen that gets close to the 150V 200+amp spec. What's the current BoM cost btw? I'm vaguelly contemplating building one. If mine doesn't work out fairly well and soon, I probably will.

mxlemming said:
galp said:
[youtube]MQYNLKpVmGU[/youtube]

This is truly awesome. You're going uphill and over terrain like I ride my downhill bike downhill.

I'm building my own ESC because... well, I want to, but yours is the one to beat. Well, match, approach, I'm not convinced it can be beat.

You should seriously consider selling these whole, assembled. There's nothing I've seen that gets close to the 150V 200+amp spec. What's the current BoM cost btw? I'm vaguelly contemplating building one. If mine doesn't work out fairly well and soon, I probably will.

I can tell you that all the components from Farnell and Mouser come out to about $170(plus tax,shipping) and most of the other components on the BoM could probably be had for $75-100 depending on where you purchase them from. The PCB itself isn't too expensive per piece, but requires a minimum purchase of 5 boards. The PCBway site offers 5 of these boards(with HASL finish) for $118.

So not counting the 3d printed fan mounts, something like $400. Less if you find someone else who bought five boards and only needed one.

Not super cheap then, but still <2/3 the cost of the closest Trampa Vesc (100-250 which is 575Euro, 525USD), and probably the most power of any single board VESC going. Probably the best power to size to cost available.

galp said:
bmurai said:
I'm thinking the 'IN1' layer is adjacent to the top 'f' layer and the 'IN2' is adjacent to the bottom 'b' layer.

You are correct.

Thanks for the confirmation Galp. I've already ordered the boards, but it's nice to knox I didn't mess it up.

Update: They came out pretty well. The top one shows a small scratch, but others seem fine. Still waiting on the hot air solder, but excited to sift through about 50 bags of parts from mouser.

Attachments

• Resized_20200831_153009.jpeg
    Resized_20200831_153009.jpeg
    173.7 KB · Views: 3,734
Galp,
I'm working through the board component placement and at U9 there seems to be a package size difference. I ordered the part from Mouser per the BOM, but what they sent was at least a package size above. Is this the right chip?

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/STMicroelectronics/USBLC6-2SC6?qs=po45yt2pPpu%2FhNIlwQdTlg%3D%3D

It looks like it is the SOT-666 variant would fit the board, but I got the SOT23-6L.

Edit: I noticed that the BOM specifies the SOT 666, but the mouser code is just mislabeled. It should be USBLC6-2P6

shaman said:
This is looking good! I can't wait to spin this design for TO-247 FETs. I want enough power for an electric cruiser motorcycle.

@shaman, did you spin the to-247 design or is the Serious FOCer it?

The Serious FOCer is lined up to have TO-247 MOSFETs but only 6 of them. Good for 150A max motor phase and not much larger than the Little FOCer.

There's a different model in the works w/ 12 TO-247 MOSFETs but that's a closed topic for now.

Just for grins I played with the github BESC Kicad file and "made" a 12x247 board... it's been years since I last played with the program.
(Please note there is no design value behind what I did... I was playing with multilayer Kicad to learn & exploring some ideas... this board has got to ring like there is no tomorrow)

Attachments

• besc-247-12.GIF
    besc-247-12.GIF
    186.6 KB · Views: 3,452
People.

PCBway does Printed Circuit Board Assembly (PCBA) and the prices really arent that bad. In general you pay around $50 for the assembly per board. Additional costs include the cost of the PCB, and the parts. I've done it before and am familiar with the whole process. The main issue would be scaling up - I think they have a minimum number for boards. Are there other readers on this list that would want to commit to paying for the cost of one or more boards, and we'd go in on a group PCBA project?

The other advantage to me is I do plenty of circuit design and testing, but the BESC is over my head in complexity. To be quite honest I'd be willing to take on some of the cost and logistics for putting together a board, in exchange with working with someone who has deeper knowledge of how the circuit should behaving and could help with debugging.

give a shout.

Ye9XO1K.png

Thanks, Galp!

Plan on making a few of these with the U7 removed and Bluetooth added.

https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/inventek-systems/ISM14585-L35-P8/9666171?s=N4IgTCBcDaIJIGUCyBGALAVgBwYLQBkBmDEAXQF8g

We plan on testing these on electric snowboards. looking for 20s...

Has anyone got this working? I'm seriously thinking about building few of these and would love to hear about experience of people who have tried before me.

Did not test those features. They still seem to be in somewhat beta phase but should in theory work. I also pushed the besc-g2 to 350A phase without issues in the last few days.

Version 3 actually became version 4. Check it out here. https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=110252

Hey Galp,

Any chance I can buy like an hour of your time to help me trouble shoot my besc clone?

I've made the PCB mostly modeled after your V1 board with some changes to suit myself. But I just wanted to ask a few questions on what you did with the firmware.

For eg on inverting the current values as well as removing the has_drv as well as the current gain you were using.

Would honestly be sooo helpful. I've got quite a bit invested in the controller including a year of my life.

Mo

I am about to pull the trigger on ordering a couple of boards but am just worried that the project is not in good condition...
Are you still active on doing work?
Has the esc actually been used?
What realistic battery current can I pull if I keep the unit cool?
I work at a electronic design and repair company so can source and place and troubleshoot everything but don't want to purchase a whole bunch of stuff if I end up having problems and the owner of the project disappears from the planet

Thanks!

ReubenH said:
I am about to pull the trigger on ordering a couple of boards but am just worried that the project is not in good condition...
Are you still active on doing work?
Has the esc actually been used?
What realistic battery current can I pull if I keep the unit cool?
I work at a electronic design and repair company so can source and place and troubleshoot everything but don't want to purchase a whole bunch of stuff if I end up having problems and the owner of the project disappears from the planet
Since these high-power forks were created in 2018, first-party VESC has expanded to 22s and 250-300A, so the forks will see less use.

Reuben, if you are in the states I can send you a couple boards if you are interested. I have built a couple and tested them initially to be working just fine. Realistic battery current, I would say 300-400A. I am planning to keep the continuous current below 350A.

[ALL SOLD] Hello guys, as I changed my plans, if anyone is interested, i have a lot of new components bought on Mouser and Farnell, ready for sale, including mosfets, capacitors and a STM32. Feel free to PM me :)

Back