Golden Motor Magic Pie - first taste

I can do some hill climb tests on my slow motor this weekend if anyone is interested, but given most of us probably won't get this slow motor I'm not sure if it'd be of any great benefit ? I guess it would show the best case scenario for the magic pie's hill climbing ability. I'll use GPS to measure the speed and location and then we can use google maps or what ever to calculate the incline (I'm not sure how to do it but I've seen others mention it so I'm sure it's possible!)
There's 2 nasty hills near my place, one is fairly short but relatively steep and needs a decent amount of pedal assist to get up it at a reasonable pace. The other one is longer and absolutely brutal, it's a struggle to even walk up!

If anyone is interested then post here, otherwise I won't bother and I'll wait until I get my faster motor and to the tests on that.

Hyena said:
I'll use GPS to measure the speed and location and then we can use google maps or what ever to calculate the incline (I'm not sure how to do it but I've seen others mention it so I'm sure it's possible!).
Hi Hyena.

Best way to calculate an incline that comes to my mind is to use Google Earth (not Google Map), it's a free install. When you move your cursor over terrain you see the altitude, so you get the altitude of the 2 points on your hill you want to get the average slope between and the difference is the altitude gain, let's call it H. Then there is also a tool in GE (Google Earth) to measure distance, so you use that between the same 2 points and that gives you L. Makes sure that H and L are the same units, then you get the angle of the slope by doing atan(H/L) and the result is in degree if your calculator is set for degrees (instead of radian).

You have not received your replacement hi-speed motor yet? I thought it was sent to you express.

Jerome, I'll record all the data then do the analysis later.
I can use either google earth to measure the distance or use the reading from the GPS device itself. I've been using nokia sports tracker on my phone that records distance, elevation, duration, speed etc - it's quite a cool app and outputs the saved data to google earth too.

Re: my motor, I decided to wait on shipping for a new magic pie that's in development, an even higher speed motor as per the last post here
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13292&start=195#p206292
With express shipping costing the same as the motor itself I figured it wise to wait a little longer and sea ship it and have both motors to test and do a direct comparison.

Mapmyride is the best I've seen for the inclines. Just make sure you map out the incline itself and not do a whole trip. Otherwise it kind of averages the grades instead of telling you what it actually is.

As a guy who works in web-based geography, I am pretty clear that the accuracy of google earth or any other broad audience web-based tool means that the results for the slope will be very very approximate.

I suggest checking out the GM riders forum, accessable thru the GM website, then decide for yourself. The MP has had its fair share of problems with spoke breakages (due to the angle) and controller problems.

This is not to say other kits don't have problems.

That's more than likely the "fast" one spacey.
These motors didn't live up to the early (pre-release) hype and as has been suggested there's been a few issues.
The physical issues with the spokes breaking has been a major problem and one GM haven't been very supportive in fixing a AFAIK (2 local members of the forum I've sold them to reported broken spokes) Apparently there's a MP2 in the works which addresses the offset issues and should ease the spoke problems. Aside from that their performance is fine for a beginners kit but as I probably said in my initial review they're not as fast as the existing series of motors (500w and 1000w) and for the likes of many of us here who like to boost the performace of stock kits the older motors with an external controller are a better option.

I hear ya loud and clear, have had the nipples u wind on my egg shaped wheel and am down to my last spoke. Have not had a spoke break on me though, I think they put stronger spokes in the newer version MP's.

With a 40 amp infineon controller and decent batteries it does pull like a train up hills. Going to add another 12volts and do the 120% mod on the infineon controller to see how fast that gets me.

Better clearance on the disc brake side of things is definitely needed as I have 0.5mm of clearance left on my hydraulic discs .....well actually no clearance as they are still rubbing slightly.

As for the customer relations you have Golden Motor Canada doing his best but actual Golden Motor China just do not seem to give a damn about their customers.

^^ Just to add....The MP does not have reverse polarity protection....i found that out the hard way.

blew both caps when i connected my flipped connection anderson (entirely my fault for rushing the battery pack build to get some test time in).

anyways, i'm wiring the pie for external lyen controller which should be here soon...

i guess i can add later what this sucker will do at 18S voltages.

BTW, i hit about 40km/h with a 48V pack which seems about right.

friends HS3540 hits almost the exact same speed at 36V...

Back