Got a DUI: I wanna build an ebike to get to work + school

markz said:
Aosom brand
I never heard of 'em
Neither here...
good advice. Buy an unknown brand motor, a battery from a seller who has a history of problems, and put it together quickly. :roll:

man... I spend weeks choosing a frame and to design how I am going to build it, weeks again gathering good reliable components, and weeks again to make a proper build. Buying junk and building quick is something you may like to do for yourself, but please don't recommend newbs doing the same. :wink:

Aosom is just an amazon brand. they sell bike trailers, and one of the cheap motor kit versions.

RE the cheap kit. do get a spoke wrench, and keep your spokes snug but not over tight. The cheaper wheels will loosen a lot in the first 50 miles, and may need some tuning fairly often for some time.

The kit you linked to has a modern display, it should have the ability to choose power levels, so you can set it to level 4 and be closer to legal, but not crazy slow. Use the lower levels as needed to extend range on the longer rides, by not having more than 15 mph.

WM will ship to store any bike you choose from the website, free. So you can get the cruiser with the welded on rack and 7 speeds. That rack will hold up the whole world, without buckling. You will be able to use all 7 gears no problem, but I predict you will put it in high gear, and leave it there. this is why a high quality shifter really does not matter for the e bike.

Ride right, and the cops won't even talk to you, and no worries. Unless you are famous with em, then you are screwed, as I was for about a decade. I had to learn to drive perfect, or else.

Just clown pedal when you see cops, and if you are cruising about 20-22 mph, they won't pay much attention in most towns. Ride the right side, stay off sidewalks if that is illegal for bikes, actually stop at signs and lights, and you won't attract the cops. Just don't ride like 90% of bike riders, and the cops will think you are great.

I also find it helps to look right. What's that? Helmet, yellow shirt, etc. Look like you have money, and a lawyer. Like you choose to bike, not have to. Not like stoner, or bum with DUIs. Why? Its not for cops. Its for cars. Look poor and they will flick your ear with the mirror. Look money, and they give you space.

MadRhino said:
I wonder why the black panels each side on the front. Seem to me they are blinding important angles.

Maybe just heavily tinted?

As Markz points out it's the tradition of alternativeness out here ...
'Hey look, there goes that alien again ... should we pull him over?
'nah, they never give us jellies, besides we could get abducted.

I never got pulled over in my contraption either, but I did less than 100 miles in it.

dogman dan said:
Look money, and they give you space.

So sick but so true.

I used to wear a safety vest. But now a lot of street people down here have taken to wearing them, so it might be more of a liability than a help. And the downtown bikers have special bike fashion clothes.

With them cheap laced motors - Do pay close attention to the spoke tension and true-ness, be religious about it!!!
Because you let it go, you let it slide you will be lacing up a new rim and trying to find spokes for the new rim.

What is WM dogman dan?

dogman dan said:
WM will ship to store any bike you choose from the website, free. So you can get the cruiser with the welded on rack and 7 speeds. That rack will hold up the whole world, without buckling. You will be able to use all 7 gears no problem, but I predict you will put it in high gear, and leave it there. this is why a high quality shifter really does not matter for the e bike..

Walmart, where you get bike shaped objects. In that 100-150 buck price range, the beach cruiser is typically the best buy,, unless you have to pedal that heavy thing.

Later on, you can invest in a much better bike, better wheel build, etc. Or, you can modify a steel beach cruiser into a decent bike. Since its steel, you can weld stuff on to it.

this was a single speed 100 buck bike originally. I lengthened it about a foot, adding disc brakes and 7 speeds in the process. The front ring was 42 tooth, replaced with a 52t from an old ten speed.

6-1-2015  Schwinn Cruiser with 52 t crank.JPG

Electra Townie is in another world, as compared to a wallmart cruiser. Yet it is also another level of fabrication skills to build a stretched ebike on it. Stretching the tail, integrating a rear rack, and any other welded mod do require experience and equipment to weld, re-harden and re-finish an Alu alloy frame. Not so sure it is a good idea for a noob, who will have to learn a lot to build a steel frame already. It is also in another price bracket, like any well designed light weight bike would be.

Back