First Build, know what I want, not how to get there.

Hickbeard said:
This is an expensive hobby my friend. [emoji1787] I will never have money again. Lol

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

It sure can be. A standard 20mph bike can be pretty cheaply built and maintained, but for each bit of incremental performance boost you want beyond that, your power needs (and resulting upgrade costs) get exponentially higher. For now I guess I'd be happy with 30 mph and a bit more torque/acceleration. But apparently even that is going to require a whole new frame, and if I go that route, I might as well go all the way and build the bike I really want. I guess I had better start seeing where I can cut expenses lol.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mongoose-2...85230?hash=item2f4837e3ae:g:A6AAAOSwJlRe8sCD

It's cheap and crappy but would this full-suspensuin frame work for my needs? No rear disc brakes but hopefully that could be installed, or even come included in a rear hub kit. I really like hub motors but I guess I could get a lot more performance from a lot less power by going with a mid drive. I think I had better do a few more months or reading before I even start doing anything.

id get a different bike for commuting with waterproof controller like a phaserunner

https://www.ebikes.ca/shop/electric-bicycle-parts/controllers/phaserunner-l10.html

paired with a motor like this

https://www.ebikes.ca/shop/electric-bicycle-parts/controllers/phaserunner-l10.html

and some schwalbe tires

theloadedquestion said:
Hickbeard said:
This is an expensive hobby my friend. [emoji1787] I will never have money again. Lol

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

It sure can be. A standard 20mph bike can be pretty cheaply built and maintained, but for each bit of incremental performance boost you want beyond that, your power needs (and resulting upgrade costs) get exponentially higher. For now I guess I'd be happy with 30 mph and a bit more torque/acceleration. But apparently even that is going to require a whole new frame, and if I go that route, I might as well go all the way and build the bike I really want. I guess I had better start seeing where I can cut expenses lol.

It isn't hard to get to 25MPH, which is what almost all of those "28MPH" bikes actually do (mine only does about 20MPH actual). So just aim for 25MPH, and get a cheap Chinese computer/speedo. It will assure you that you are pushing 40MPH. ;)

theloadedquestion said:
I think I had better do a few more months or reading before I even start doing anything.
Sounds like the start of a plan. Keep your current bike in good order, using it to save your $20+ a day Uber bills. In a few months you'll have saved up enough when combined with selling your current bike, to build the bike you want, PLUS, you'll know better what you will need to do it right after studying up on it for a few months.

what youre looking for sounds very similar to my current setup, which is a 52v battery from em3ev, 1500w rear hub kit from ebikeling. i built on a slightly older (2004) cannondale aluminum full suspension mtb. all told, bike+motor kit+battery+a few other odds and ends cost me about $1900. unrestricted, i get a top speed of about 40 mph on a flat. i usually keep it restricted to 32 mph for regular commuting. if i know im gonna go further i restrict it more based on my needs. last week i rode across brooklyn, into manhattan, up a bit, and then back, a total distance of about 23 miles, which it handled good at 20 mph. i did drain the battery a bit more than i probably should have (was down to about 45v i think when i got to work) but hopefully doing that just once in a while isnt such a big deal. i was pulling a laden trailer for most of that, though, i stopped at costco on my way into manhattan. so, without that it would probably handle it easy.

I would not recommend a mid drive motor for commuting and I wouldn't recommend a Direct Drive or Geared Hub for off road.

Off road, go with a Bafang BBSHD.

Pavement under 30 mph, go with a MAC/GMAC.

Pavement over 30 mph, go with a Direct Drive hug motor.

Faster than ~30 mph on a bicycle is FAST. Make sure you have adequate brakes and tires before you start going over 30 mph...203mm discs are a good start and the Schwalbe Super Moto-X plus the Pick-Up are good tire choices for pavement...along with the Maxxis Hookworm.

Tires off road...Maxxis DHF front and DHR II rear.

Back