• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Greets and a question on Weird wiring

Wolfcub

1 µW
Hi everyone! New member here: thanks for letting me in! Am currently trying to conclude my first rear hub motor conversion of a Cannondale SL5 with the excellent assistance of another member. On this note, I've got a question.

Planning to run turnigy 6s lipos initially to 12s3P. 48 v, 15 ah. Is there any way to wire packs together so that they can be 12s3P under load but at the same time 6s1p for parallel balance charging purpouses without having to rearrange plugs? Think double harnesses with a bunch of diodes here and there to prevent the thing from shorting out and go nuclear on me...

Say I parallel 3 packs. Red bullet connector to red, black to black. 3 JST wired to one. I would then effectively have one pack of 24 v 15 ah. I could connect it to controller for biking and to my parallell charger directly without rearranging plugs.

Add another identical setup. Now what? Can diodes (or something) block DC one way so I could have the 4 main leads wired BOTH in serial AND parallel in the same harness, one plug to controller, one ready to recieve my (hopefully) trusty iCharger 3010B? Maybe even a third for bulk charging since I guess I couldn't bulk charge on controller leads any more. If so, what about the JST's? Would it be sufficient to block lead 1 and 7? Or even one of them? Or would I need to add diodes (or something) to all leads everywhere? :?:

If it's not doable or the question is too stupid to even consider, go easy on me. I'm a noob without much experience in most fields, dc electronics most particularly. But wouldn't it be rather nice to be able to charge, run and parallel balance charge without having to rearrange a bunch of rather flimsy plugs? Just two plugs in, one out and one jst. Everything married together. A mormon lipo harness. :wink:

Cheers,

Wolfcub.

Not really. Solve the whole problem with a 12s charger or 12s bms so you don't have to split the pack to charge.
12s3p6.JPG

Splitting the pack is not so hard really, but it's nicer to charge in one bundle.
If you will split the pack, make it parallel first, then series. then its only one plug to pull, and you have two 3p 6s sections.

Others that charge 12s will find it easier to wire the pack by making up two or more 12s sections, then paralleling them.

Thx guys! I appreciate the help. Splitting the pack is what I'll do if I can't do what I suggested, but it's not what I want, for a few reasons. A) i already have a 10s balance charger, B) i'd prefer not splitting it so I could bundle it up and not opening it all the time and C) I'd like a solution which would scale to 18s, or 20 or whatever. So can it be integrated into the harness?

So what you do, is as has been done on here before is make your own multi pin plug and socket board.

You would be charging in 6s 6p not 6s 1 p as you state.

You make up a board, with all the all the terminations coming out to it on the battery side..so get a piece of ply or similar hard plastic etc, then drill and fit the battery connections to it

You then have a mating board that presses up to it, with the wires that go to the controller...this board has jumpers on it connectign it all up so as you give the 12s3p.

You make up a second board, but this time with jumpers and wires coming off, that re config the pack to be 6s6p ..the connector is hard wired to the charger .

Or rather than make up a board, use Anderson connectors. for the main wires and DB25 for the balance wires. wire the battery side so you have two 6s3p blocks..so you have 4 main wires..two red and two black, in stacked andersons..blocked together, so they are fixed ..the slot together. You make up a mating block of Andersons to connect to the bike controller.with one jumper going from the red of one block to the black on second block, and the other pair out to controller.
Your now make up a second mating plug to go to the charger...but that parallels the reds and blacks.

Similar with all the wires from the balance leads...

Always remember to disconnect both DB25 and Anderson plug from parallel harness BEFORE connecting one of the series plugs..or you will get firewroks as the plugs short and metl together and you cant pull them apart

Very easy principle if you get what I am saying .

see this post.

http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=38913

also Chris (Icecube) makes them up for you if yuo are not sure..if you asked nicely he might do you the balance wires as well

Back