Hand signals

mikefish

100 W
I use them, but Im not so sure motorists even know what they mean. I caught a couple drivers that waved back at me.

the one that i dont think drivers get is "right turn" left arm 90 degree bend hand up in air.

HandSignals.gif

but i must live in a cave. this is new to me for a right turn

bike signals.jpg

makes more sense to me, and maybe it will help the ever so smart driver to tell the difference between me waving at them, or telling them which way im going!

apparently Nevada recently passed a law making this signal "OK" http://nevadabike.wordpress.com/

I think I will be a rebel here in California, and start using the "alternate right turn signal" :mrgreen:

I've been using the alt right turn signal too, because like you said, drivers don't always know what your doing on a bike with your hand up. And unlike in a car, other drivers can see you if you put your right hand out.

I was wondering about this too. I've got my throttle on the left, so its more practical to signal with my right arm, I still signal left turns with my left arm. I usually point one finger in the air so it doesn't look like I'm waving.

I'm always worried when signaling a left turn the guy behind me will think I'm telling him to go around me on my left. Having a mirror, preparing mentally to bail on the turn, and communicating your intent through lane position help. If you signal with the flat hand, probably it would be wise to put the palm towards the rear so it doesn't look like you are waving the guy behind you to go around you?

I saw on guy, 40ah x500x motor, had signal lights but I think they were only on the back.

I have never used the left arm bent signal, always point in the direction I want to turn. I be sure to give a hard finger wag too, or alternate a flat hand and fist like a blinker.

I want to know who can slow down effectively with only one hand on the bars.

I've also dismissed the official "right turn" left hand rule because I realize that's a poor carry over of car-driving hand signals. The right hand is far more intuitive for everyone, and this is especially critical for the less knowledgeable drivers of which there seems to be many.

johnrobholmes said:
I have never used the left arm bent signal, always point in the direction I want to turn. I be sure to give a hard finger wag too, or alternate a flat hand and fist like a blinker.

I want to know who can slow down effectively with only one hand on the bars.

i like the wagging finger idea!

also, i sure dont feel safe signaling "slow or stop" while braking with one hand.

i signal turns, but i dont bother signaling stops. i keep an eye on my mirror in case i need to move or bail. i figure a controlled stop is safer than a swervy haphazard stop while cars are around. itries the one hand stop with no cars around after reading your question. no cars...ok...still not cool with it. cars around... forget about it!

nutsandvolts said:
I have always thought hand signals were kind of crazy on a bike, though I do use them in busy intersections. Crazy because the time that you need to use signals the most is also the time when it would make sense to have both hands on the handlebar! I'll definitely be adding turn signals and brake light to my bike eventually.

That is what I was thinking, you take the chance of losing control of your bike when you take one hand to signal. Here in San Diego the streets are so bad you could easily lose it taking a hand off the handlebars.

Deron.

The only one I use is the left turn signal, but it's kinda pointless, since I am stopped in the driving lane and not going to go untill I have plenty of room. Mostly it's to give the guy fuming behind me an idea what I'm doing out there in his road.

Right turns also, aren't going to happen if somebody is also turning left, I'll just wait rather than try to make a car stop with a hand signal. Yeah, I have the right of way, but he has the right of two tons. Who knows if the turkey even sees me?

Yeah I usually only use signals when there is a real need to communicate. On the bike pathways it can be quite helpful some times.

i was wondering if anyone has electric turn signals on their bike now?

also, are they only effective at night?

most if my riding is in the day time, so i don't think i can get a turn signal system for cheap that would actually bee seen in the day time.

im thinking my arm would be more visible in day time since i have gotten one of the "day glo yellow" jackets to wear.

mikefish said:
i was wondering if anyone has electric turn signals on their bike now?

also, are they only effective at night?

I'd like to hear from people who have tried electric signals as well. Do drivers seem to notice them?
Better than hand signals?

I also support the "alternate right turn, hand signal" and the "reflective gloves" for night riding, which is upon us now that the days are getting noticably shorter.

Even though I started driving on Oregon roads before most cars had turn signals, I think the old left arm up is meaningless to most drivers. It looks more like an intention to get attention, and maybe slow down, so I like to point where I'm going with the appropriate hand.

I put front and rear turn signals on my trike and trailer that I use around town all the time. Used fairly bright LEDs that are made for clearance lights. They don't show up real great in bright sunshine, but I have had a few people remark about them. They each have their own toggle switch, so they can all be turned on like emergency flashers. Also put another set on the back of the trailer that are hooked to the brake swithes on the trailer brake levers.

I use the turn signals if there's a driver who I think might benefit from knowing where I'm going. Tried to use the stop signal when I started riding with a group of 'lycras' a while back, often almost wiped out trying to brake with only one hand on the bars. :?

i've seen cyclist with indicator gloves that glow amber. i thought that was the best cyclist indicator technology. the units that you can buy with indicator/brakelight/rear-light are just crep.

can find cycling gloves with lights, but ravers have some pretty crazy, blinky, color changing LED gloves.

http://cgi.ebay.com/LED-Gloves-Blue-LEDs-Flashing-Fingers-Blinking-Hands_W0QQitemZ260414526426QQcmdZViewItem

that will get attention! i dont think they will stand up to the abuse of bike riding though.

mikefish said:
can find cycling gloves with lights, but ravers have some pretty crazy, blinky, color changing LED gloves.

http://cgi.ebay.com/LED-Gloves-Blue-LEDs-Flashing-Fingers-Blinking-Hands_W0QQitemZ260414526426QQcmdZViewItem

that will get attention! i dont think they will stand up to the abuse of bike riding though.
That will get attention alright... especially when you're flipping them the bird. :shock: :lol:

Ha! I should have seen this post earlier. I saw that right turn with the left arm long ago when I was a little kid on my bike. I think I saw it in a DMV Handbook. People are still confused by it. It didn't work for me and the cars around me back then and it doesn't work even now. So I just use my right arm to signal a right turn.

in port hope ontario amotorist was stopped and ticketed for speeding...... as he drove away he gave the cop the finger.... he was stopped again and given $102 additional ticket.... improper hand signal ... avery creative thinking cop.... must be a tea and crumpets man

Back