Hard Trail E-bike conversion help ! Warning!! total noob!

h_rad

1 mW
Hi how are you all ?

my name is Hossein , I live in Canada-Toronto . This is my bike http://i.imgur.com/FFbJqmk.jpg . I would love to convert it to an E-bike since I use my bike 4 days a week and about 30 Kilometers per day to work and school . I have got some uphills in my way as Toronto is not all flat :D I also ride off road ( trails etc ) .

I have spent a lot of time looking for the best kit for my needs and I have set my eyes on this Mid drive kit from Bafang http://em3ev.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=36&product_id=172 . Is this the right choice for me ?

About the battery, is this http://em3ev.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=35&product_id=161 good enough or I should go with Lifepo4 batteries ( i know they are much better in terms of cycle life and safety and stuff ) like this one http://www.pingbattery.com/servlet/the-12/48V-15AH-V2.5-LiFePO4/Detail ? Would this one fit in a bag so I could place it in the center frame and do i need to buy anything else to make the battery work with the kit ? I would like the battery to fit in my bike's center frame so I really prefer the framed one.

btw I am really concerned about thieves ! what if I spend all these money ( I'm a student so :D ) but ( god forbid lol ) someone decided to take my motor or the battery :O cause for the bike I use two decent locks and I take most of my accessories off when I lock the bike .

I would appreciate any suggestions or ideas . Also if you are from Toronto/Canada and you know any store that carries these brands with reasonable prices, so I could save some money for not paying $200-300 for the shipping please let me know .

Thank you so much !

Welcome to the forum. That motor should work out great for you.
As for the battery, the first one you listed won't have enough range. The second one will. You will need roughly 720 watt hours worth of battery capacity to reliably go 30km at 30-35kph.

Watt hours are the true measure of a battery's capacity. If you think of a battery like a barrel of fuel. Voltage would be how deep the barrel is, amp hours are how big around the barrel is, Watt hours are how much volume the barrel actualy holds.
(Volts X Amps = Watts)

The down side with the battery from ping is going to be the shipping. expect >$100 for it. Good battery though.
Since you are already looking at EM3ev.com for the motor, you can combine the shipping cost on the battery. The 16.5AH version of this one HERE is more expensive than Ping's, but it's a better battery, will give you the range you need, fits in the triangle of the bike for better balance, and your total cost won't be too much higher than the Ping's if you buy it at the same time as the motor, with combined shipping.

I'm a big pingbattery fan, but that one will not fit in the em3ev bag, unless you modified the shape. Ping could do that, but so much easier to just buy the battery from EM3ev, and use his marvelous frame bag.

I've not tested the bbs motor yet, but I'm told it will climb. But with a bb motor, beware using too high gears up hills. keep that motor turning fast.

Drunkskunk said:
Welcome to the forum. That motor should work out great for you.
As for the battery, the first one you listed won't have enough range. The second one will. You will need roughly 720 watt hours worth of battery capacity to reliably go 30km at 30-35kph.

Watt hours are the true measure of a battery's capacity. If you think of a battery like a barrel of fuel. Voltage would be how deep the barrel is, amp hours are how big around the barrel is, Watt hours are how much volume the barrel actualy holds.
(Volts X Amps = Watts)

The down side with the battery from ping is going to be the shipping. expect >$100 for it. Good battery though.
Since you are already looking at EM3ev.com for the motor, you can combine the shipping cost on the battery. The 16.5AH version of this one HERE is more expensive than Ping's, but it's a better battery, will give you the range you need, fits in the triangle of the bike for better balance, and your total cost won't be too much higher than the Ping's if you buy it at the same time as the motor, with combined shipping.

Thank you . so the total from EM3ev including the battery would be $1220 , how much does the shipping normally cost with the combined method ? Also I am concerned about the cycle life , the triangle one has only 500-700 but the lifepo has about 3000. Wouldn't I save more in long term ? I have no idea for how long does a 500-700 cycle life last for , maybe a year ? Also toronto is cold and I ride my bike when its minus 5-10 as well , do you know how that battery performs in cold weather ?

Thank you again :)

dogman said:
I'm a big pingbattery fan, but that one will not fit in the em3ev bag, unless you modified the shape. Ping could do that, but so much easier to just buy the battery from EM3ev, and use his marvelous frame bag.

I've not tested the bbs motor yet, but I'm told it will climb. But with a bb motor, beware using too high gears up hills. keep that motor turning fast.

Awwh ! too bad :( my bike got 27 gears 3x9 , So I should keep the gear to like 2-3 when going up hill ? I will be assisting the motor myself ofc . Do i need to buy a bigger chain or the one that I have will fit the crank that comes with the kit ?

Thanks

h_rad said:
Thank you . so the total from EM3ev including the battery would be $1220 , how much does the shipping normally cost with the combined method ? Also I am concerned about the cycle life , the triangle one has only 500-700 but the lifepo has about 3000. Wouldn't I save more in long term ? I have no idea for how long does a 500-700 cycle life last for , maybe a year ? Also toronto is cold and I ride my bike when its minus 5-10 as well , do you know how that battery performs in cold weather ?

Thank you again :)

I just bought that combination: BBS02 500W mid drive and the 48V/11Ah frame battery from em3ev. The shipping to Cali was around $200 for me. I choose what seems like the safe route and shipped the battery through Battery-DHL and DHL for the motor, which was about $10 cheaper than shipping the motor with the Battery through Battery-DHL.

From reading their FAQ on shipping, it seems like you take a chance of having your battery shipment delayed with one of the cheaper options (if they inspect your package and find a battery).

My total came out to a little less than $1,300 USD (with 2 chargers).

bissont said:
h_rad said:
I just bought that combination: BBS02 500W mid drive and the 48V/11Ah frame battery from em3ev. The shipping to Cali was around $200 for me. I choose what seems like the safe route and shipped the battery through Battery-DHL and DHL for the motor, which was about $10 cheaper than shipping the motor with the Battery through Battery-DHL.

From reading their FAQ on shipping, it seems like you take a chance of having your battery shipment delayed with one of the cheaper options (if they inspect your package and find a battery).

My total came out to a little less than $1,300 USD (with 2 chargers).

oh great , congratz :) I see,did they both get there at the same time? How long did it take? Cali is about 3500Miles further from Hong Kong to Toronto so maybe the shipping will cost less for me ? :s Not sure if I have to pay taxes for them here in Canada or not .

DAND214 said:
You can get the numbers without ordering.

Just register, place what you want in the cart, click checkout and you will see the shipping costs.

Dan

Oh cool thanks Dan :)

Back