Has anyone seen this happen with a controller?

ebike11

1 MW
Hi guys
A friend gave a sabvoton 72200 to me that he got from his friend because it wasnt working properly.
I thought id give it a try.
I connected it up to my 72v pack and qs205 notor.
All connections were double checked.

When i turn the throttle..the controller sometimes sparks at the green phase wire connector terminal on the sabvoton. I could even see some black residue from the spark on the terminal. My friend said the sparking happened to him too. I thought wires might be touching or something or phase wires touching each other but when i opened the controller..the green phase wire looks ok all the way to the mainboard.

Has anyone heard tell of this before? Its very strange.
Thanks!

Sounds like the terminal is broken off from the circuit board inside the controller. I've seen it happen on other controllers. It might be buried in potting.

fechter said:
Post a picture of the area where you see the spark residue.

Hi..here u go. Its only on the green terminal.
I read your comments before but in the sabvoton case..the terminal is not directly mounted to the mainboard..the thick phase wires go independently from the mainboard to the terminals. There is a space between the board and terminals

Attachments

• 20201018_160846-1.jpg
    20201018_160846-1.jpg
    180.2 KB · Views: 216
There doesn’t seem to be much that can go wrong with that design. My guess would be that the surface of the terminal got contaminated with something and gave it high resistance. I would try clearing it aggressively and make sure it’s shiny metal on both sides.
A wire brush might be good if you can get it in there. A pencil eraser might be good too.
Then clean with alcohol to remove any oil.

Back