Hedway LiFePO4 Battery Test

MyPC8MyBrain

100 mW
In my ebike build, I'm seriously considering holding off a couple months for battery purchase.
48v 20wh is too much for SLA and it seems like things are flying to market in the LifePO4 realm...
many new suppliers seem to be coming into production now.
Don
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

See the article on the link for more pictures and info:
http://zeva.com.au/tech/headway/

Introduction
As part of my ongoing search for good batteries for EV use, here are the results of testing some more commodity Lithium Iron Phosphate (LiFePO4) batteries. This round of testing was two 38120 sized cells from chinese manufacturer Headway (http://headway-cn.en.alibaba.com). This is a effectively an extension to my original battery test report from late 2007 - click here to view the original report.

The Cells
Two different cells were tested, as follows:

Headway 38120L-----------------------------------------Headway 38120P
Capacity ~10.5 Ah measured---------------------------~9 Ah measured
(10Ah officially)------------------------------------------(8 Ah officially)
Weight 320g----------------------------------------------300g
Energy density 105 Wh/kg------------------------------96 Wh/kg
Cost US$17.25--------------------------------------------US$17.25
Economics US$0.51 / Wh--------------------------------US$0.67 / Wh
Max current (claimed) 50A continuous,100A peak----80A continuous 160A peak

Both cells are 38mm diameter and 120mm long. Pricing shown is in US dollars, ex-factory from China. The manufacturer states cycle life on these to be 1000 cycles, which is somewhat lower than typical LiFePO4 and no quantitative cycle life data is provided.

The two Headway cells on the left, with a standard
26650 (white) and 18650 (red) for comparison

Cells.jpg

The Test Equipment
Please view the original report for information on the test apparatus.

Notes and comments:

The lowest load resistance this testbench can manage was 0.1 ohms, which equates to about 3C with these cells, so unfortunately I was unable to test up to 10C as usual. However, performance at 3C covers typical EV use and also gives an indication of how the cell might handle higher currents.
The resolution of the ACS754 current sensor when used with the LabJack U3 was not brilliant (hence the noise on the current plots in blue), so amp-hour and watt-hour totals may not be precise (especially for lower currents). But, they should still be a pretty reasonable representation and comparison.
The rows are matched by approximate C rates only - since discharging was done with a resistive load and some batteries have more voltage sag than others.
Results: Charging Performance
The majority of current EVs are charged from single phase power and do not have regen, so the maximum rate of charge is a fraction of 1C. However in the future there will be an increasing need for batteries which can handle high charge current, allowing for fast charging stations, and regenerative braking to improve vehicle efficiency. So it's worth seeing what the maximum rate of charge is for various cells.

38120L 38120P
0.25C
0.5C

Click on an image above to view larger version here
[USE LINK AT TOP]
Notes and comments:

Once again these larger cells were pushing the limits of the existing test bench, and the fastest I could charge them was 0.5C. As it turned out, this did not matter much as the cells didn't display a classic lithium charge curve even at 0.25C!
The wacky temperature plots on some graphs is due to the air conditioning system. It's mid-summer here in Australia and we've had some scorchers - but I've tried to keep ambient temperature for testing around mid to high twenties (celsius).
Interesting to note the effect of temperature on the 38120L charge at 0.25C - they seemed to accept charge better when cooled, surprisingly.
Conclusion
The good:
At a touch over US$0.50 per watt hour, the 38120L are some of the cheapest LiFePO4s I've come across.
Both cells discharged at up to 3C continuous comfortably, and I have no doubt they could put out 10C briefly - i.e plenty of power for typical road-going EVs. The larger format (vs 26650s etc) means fewer cells parallelled up, and much less work to build into a pack.

The bad:
Comparing 3C results with those from previous tests, cell heating was relatively high and it seems to me that their peak power is well short of the best 26650s and 18650s.
Charge performance was a bit disappointing, even at 0.25C.. I'd have trouble recommending them for anyone with strong regen or fast chargers.
1000 cycle life might be a problem for vehicles needing to be charged every day, though many people running lithium packs would only be charging once per week, in which case calendar life would be the limiting factor, not cycle life.
Final thoughts? Discharge curves between the P and L variants were remarkably similar, I tend to wonder just how much more powerful the P cell is.. Based on these results, it seems like the L variant makes more sense. I would be interested to take them to the next step, and build a pack for a commuter vehicle from 38120Ls sometime.

Wow!

These prices are falling like a rock... excellent!

http://www.batteryspace.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=4054

BatterySpace is asking $59.95 for the same cell.

This is cool. Thanks for the report. I don't mind paying for a lesser performing product, based on price, as long as reliability isn't sacrificed. I'm interested in seeing more real-world data from these.

Yes, thank you so much for sharing your test results. It's great to see more offerings in the market and falling prices!

Reality Check

:arrow: Where can you "for a fact" buy these for $17.25?

:arrow: Do we need to buy 1000 of them to get that price?

If this turns out to be bogus then the idea of getting a group buy together with Patrick might be a good idea...

Mabye I was unclear in my post... was just sharing an article that found whilst surfing the net instead of working. :D

I did go to the site from the manufacturer in china, but didnt see the prices listed.
If I had to guess, I would think that it would be a volume buy of some sort.

Maybe email the guy that actually did the testing... he's down under.

Don

10Ah_lithium_ion_battery_cell.jpg

http://headway-cn.en.alibaba.com/product/0/201224178/10Ah_lithium_ion_battery_cell.html

Detailed Product Description

Resistance: less than 1.8.
Capacity: 10Ah at 1C discharging rate.
Voltage: 3.2v
Terminal voltage: 2.0V
Max continuous discharging current:50A
Max pulse discharging current: 100A
Weight: 355g
Dimension: diameter of 42mm, and height of 120mm

Minimum Order: 1000 Piece/Pieces

These cells seems great! half a dollar per Wh!! :shock:

1000 cell = 32000Wh

If someone have the idea to built and sell many packs like 640Wh that is a good energy bank for ebike, that mean the possibility to built 50 battery pack of 640Wh of 359$ each :D

Maybe Justin of Ebikes.ca would be interested?

having 50 pack of 640Wh to seel would not take too much time!... at this price!

64V 10Ah

at 20Wh per km, that mean 32km range! 1000 times =32000km for 359$ not bad!!

buy group?

Doc

Doctorbass said:
If someone have the idea to built and sell many packs like 640Wh that is a good energy bank for ebike, that mean the possibility to built 50 battery pack of 640Wh of 359$ each :D

Hey, 25Ah 48V pack for $720? Not bad, actually. Still needs a BMS and charger, though.

I wonder if they sell "evaluation samples"?
Some companies will give you free samples of stuff if they think you're really serious about buying large quantities :twisted:

I'm almost considering putting my battery upgrade plans on hold till summer. Looks like the LiFePO4 cat is almost out of the bag. :) I almost feel sorry for anyone trying to compete in this quickly emerging marketplace.

Quite the oposite, the more the merrier, with every new vendor, factory, etc.. the market for ebikes and electric powered everything grows.

These batteries have a bigger potential than ebikes in all kinds of ways, backup power, high-powered portable lighting, Off-Road applications of all sorts..

At least this is one market that will not be cornered. Certainly great for consumers and progress in general. When you really think about it: 1000Wh output is measly in the scheme of many application, and certainly not worth as much as the going rate.

Glad to see some additional vendors entering this LiFEPO4 space!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

One thing I have learned from my dealings with lipo batts and my post and test that I have done on RCGroups.com
is the following

The test data FROM the FACTORY rarely matches the test data FROM INDEPENDANT 3rd party unbiased people.

Better to have someone like ZEVA test than the factory.
Looks like they dont have the equipment to do the 10C and 20C discharge curves that we all want to see

Also
Would prefere to see the charts with volts on the left and mAh on the bottom.
There is no reference point or marks on the graph.
And that black background is hard to see. Would prefere to see it white.

Anyways better than nothing. Great start and gives us some info to make more informed decisions.

Thank you ZEVA for providing us with data that we previously did not have.!!!!!!!!!

The problem is that we don't even know if the price is $17.25. I have not, nor has anyone here been successful in even communicating with the vendor. All we know is:

"The vendor demands 1000 units."

...we do NOT know the price the vendor wants.

Eventually I hope that on the "* * * Group Battery Purchase * * *" thread we can arrive at a good choice. For now all we are seeing is vapor... nothing concrete. Patrick can get the bigger sized LifeBatt cells for $30 each which is already a good deal.

:arrow: This $17.25 deal might not be real.

Back